Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 08:17 It is currently 08 May 2024, 08:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Its good to hear that lack of community involvement isn't a huge hit. Thats the big whole in my file. I kinda figured schools wouldn't hold that against people too much though since a lot of people work 60+ hours a week and don't have a whole lot of freetime.

The best advice I have had for approaching the why you want to attend a particular school over another essay was to do at least one or two tours of the school. Sit in on classes, talk to students, professors and anyone in the admin that you can get a hold of, spend an evening in the area...take notes on things you did, people you talked to, and classes ou sat in on. Use that as the basis for your essay, it shows you put a lot more into figuring out if its a good fit for you than looking at ranks, gmat scores, graduating salaries and company placements.

Visiting schools is definitely a great thing to do to enhance your chances of admittance. You can take a lot from those visits.
Last year I just was reluctant to spend $$$ on flying from Russia to US. I reconsidered this and if I have to re-apply I am going to visit schools.

Nsentra wrote:
Good to hear they gave you an honest feed, Oleg. I am waiting for my decision on May 15th. Looking forward to re-applying with you next year for ED. :lol:

Good luck and see you on the other side! :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
helg wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Its good to hear that lack of community involvement isn't a huge hit. Thats the big whole in my file. I kinda figured schools wouldn't hold that against people too much though since a lot of people work 60+ hours a week and don't have a whole lot of freetime.

The best advice I have had for approaching the why you want to attend a particular school over another essay was to do at least one or two tours of the school. Sit in on classes, talk to students, professors and anyone in the admin that you can get a hold of, spend an evening in the area...take notes on things you did, people you talked to, and classes ou sat in on. Use that as the basis for your essay, it shows you put a lot more into figuring out if its a good fit for you than looking at ranks, gmat scores, graduating salaries and company placements.

Visiting schools is definitely a great thing to do to enhance your chances of admittance. You can take a lot from those visits.
Last year I just was reluctant to spend $$$ on flying from Russia to US. I reconsidered this and if I have to re-apply I am going to visit schools.

Nsentra wrote:
Good to hear they gave you an honest feed, Oleg. I am waiting for my decision on May 15th. Looking forward to re-applying with you next year for ED. :lol:

Good luck and see you on the other side! :)

BINGO! But try to visit during the off season (like now) for the next application cycle. Additionally, be sure to meet with the Dean, and mention him/her in your essays.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
BINGO! But try to visit during the off season (like now) for the next application cycle.

For, like, standing out?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There is an old time GMAT club member from France studying at Tuck right now with a 640 GMAT (after four attempts). Tuck, like many other elites, (also) stresses essays and interviews, IMHO the essence of the student.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]