Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Focus 1:
605 Q81 V83 DI76
GMAT Focus 2:
645 Q81 V86 DI79
GPA: 3.88
WE:Corporate Finance (Finance)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus 645 + MBA Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Tarsara wrote:
Hi guys, just took my 2nd GMAT today and got 645. Please help me evaluate whether I should retake GMAT Focus to improve score or focus my time and energy on other parts of application. I plan to apply round 1 in August/September 2024 for 2025 intake.

Current score: 645, 89th percentile (equivalent to 700 in classic GMAT based on the current conversion table)

Target Schools (all UK MBA):

• Cambridge & Oxford (avg. gmat 690)
  • Imperial & Warwick (avg. 670)
My profile:

Nationality

• Thai (fairly underrepresented? 1-6% of the class depending on which MBA program)
Work Experience

• 4 years, (would be 5 years by start of MBA)
  • 1.5 years as Macroeconomist in Thai Central Bank
  • 2.5 years in Corporate Finance function in a Thai growth company with foreign management team (international work environment)
  • Company is an online marketplace platform for insurance and financial products, in the top 10 in terms of revenue size compared to competitors.
Notable/Major projects

• Series C fundraising
  • One successful M&A (acquired another company in the same industry)
  • Series C+ fundraising (on-going)
  • Helped set up a subsidiary company to provide Buy-Now-Pay-Later (BNPL) financing to insurance customers
Post-MBA goal

• In-house Corporate Finance or M&A role back in Thailand
­

­Hi, Tarsara

Thank you for your post!

Firstly, your current GMAT score of 645 (equivalent to 700 classic GMAT) puts you within the 89th percentile, which is a great achievement. However, if you want to improve your chances of getting into your target MBA programs, you will need an overall well-rounded profile to help make your profile stand out since you will compete with candidates with similar or even better GMAT.  

Alternatively, Since you plan to apply in August/September 2024, you still have some time to prepare for another GMAT attempt if you want another shot! My suggestion is that your GMAT score is competitive enough for targeting UK MBA programs, and instead of retaking the GMAT, invest time in crafting a strong application highlighting your achievements, leadership experiences, and how an MBA aligns with your career goals. Emphasize your unique background and contributions to diversify the MBA community at your target schools.

Ensure that other parts of your application, such as your essays, resume, and recommendation letters, are top-notch and free of errors. Take your time refining your essays, recommendations, and interview skills to showcase your strengths effectively. 

Your essays should narratively highlight your unique experiences and achievements, especially your role in high-impact projects. Articulate your career vision clearly, explaining how your background has prepared you for your post-MBA goals and how each target program specifically aligns with your aspirations. Given your goal to return to Thailand in a corporate finance or M&A role, emphasize how your experiences and the MBA will contribute to your country's economic and business landscapes. 

Finally, given the strengths of your profile and the strategic considerations for your application, focus on showcasing the unique aspects of your profile, your career achievements, and how an MBA from your target schools will help you achieve your post-MBA goals. Your distinct background and experiences, coupled with a strong, well-rounded application, can make a compelling case for admission. 

Sorry for the long answer; I hope this helps! :)

Cheers!

Abhyank
Founder & CEO 
BOOK A FREE CALL
MBA and Masters Admissions Consulting

Customer Reviews|Profile Evaluation|School Explorer
Contact us: +91-8448224865  ­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tarsara wrote:
Hi guys, just took my 2nd GMAT today and got 645. Please help me evaluate whether I should retake GMAT Focus to improve score or focus my time and energy on other parts of application. I plan to apply round 1 in August/September 2024 for 2025 intake.

Current score: 645, 89th percentile (equivalent to 700 in classic GMAT based on the current conversion table)

My profile:

Nationality
  • Thai (fairly underrepresented? 1-6% of the class depending on which MBA program)
Work Experience
  • 2.5 years in Corporate Finance function in a Thai growth company with foreign management team (international work environment)
  • Company is an online marketplace platform for insurance and financial products, in the top 10 in terms of revenue size compared to competitors.
Notable/Major projects
  • Series C fundraising
  • Helped set up a subsidiary company to provide Buy-Now-Pay-Later (BNPL) financing to insurance customers
Post-MBA goal
­

Hi Tarsara

A 645 is a good GMAT score for your target schools specially given your underrepresented background. I would advise you to also add schools like LBS to your list if you are targetting UK MBA Programs.

However, do note that the GMAT score is just one aspect of the application process, I found some of the following details missing from your profile description:

1. What was your undergraduate major , GPA and school pedigree.

2. You haven't mentioned anything around your extra curriculars! Schools are looking for well balanced profiles with demonstrated achievements in ECs or a sport or hobby.

3. What was the Q/V/DI split scores of your GMAT overall score of 645? This is important as if your post-MBA goal is in a quant heavy field (Corp-Fin or M&A as in your case) it becomes increasingly more important to demonstrate high quant ability through your GMAT and/or your undergrad GPA and Pedigree.

Overall, if you think all these 3 points are addressed you do have a fair shot at your target programs and may even have a shot at a school like LBS.

Rest is ofcourse how well you craft your narrative in terms of your Essays, CV, LORs etc.

If you need professional help with your applications, do reach out to us! We've helped several clients crack top-tier MBA programs in the UK and also globally! Our success rate for the year 2023 was 100% with every one of our clients getting atleast one admit of their target schools.

Best,
Divesh Chellani
Founder & Managing Consultant
https://Top100MBA.Club
WAPP:+912231989175

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Focus 1:
605 Q81 V83 DI76
GMAT Focus 2:
645 Q81 V86 DI79
GPA: 3.88
WE:Corporate Finance (Finance)
Send PM
Top100MBA.Club wrote:
Tarsara wrote:

My profile:

Nationality

Work Experience

Notable/Major projects

• Series C fundraising
Post-MBA goal

­

Hi Tarsara

A 645 is a good GMAT score for your target schools specially given your underrepresented background. I would advise you to also add schools like LBS to your list if you are targetting UK MBA Programs.

However, do note that the GMAT score is just one aspect of the application process, I found some of the following details missing from your profile description:

2. You haven't mentioned anything around your extra curriculars! Schools are looking for well balanced profiles with demonstrated achievements in ECs or a sport or hobby.

3. What was the Q/V/DI split scores of your GMAT overall score of 645? This is important as if your post-MBA goal is in a quant heavy field (Corp-Fin or M&A as in your case) it becomes increasingly more important to demonstrate high quant ability through your GMAT and/or your undergrad GPA and Pedigree.

Overall, if you think all these 3 points are addressed you do have a fair shot at your target programs and may even have a shot at a school like LBS.

Rest is ofcourse how well you craft your narrative in terms of your Essays, CV, LORs etc.

If you need professional help with your applications, do reach out to us! We've helped several clients crack top-tier MBA programs in the UK and also globally! Our success rate for the year 2023 was 100% with every one of our clients getting atleast one admit of their target schools.

Best,
Divesh Chellani

­Hi Divesh,

First of all, thank you for your detailed response. Here are some of the details you've listed that are missing in my original post.
1. Undergrad Major
- Economics
- GPA: 3.88/4.00
- Studied at one of the two most recognized universities in Thailand

2. Extracurricular activities
Member of the Consulting Club's management team
- The club is designed to help fellow students become abit more familiar with different career functions and industries they could pursue by hosting interactive sessions with guests working in those industries. (e.g. management consulting, tech consulting, e-commerce, FMCG)
- Designed and co-hosted club sessions with guests from well-known domestic and multinational companies.
Co-led the Consulting Club team to organize HSBC Thailand Business Case Competition 2020
- led the end-to-end process of organizing a case competition (financial planning & budgeting; supplier sourcing for marketing materials, merchandises and equipments needed to run a case competition; conducting PR roadshow to major universities around Bangkok as well as online marketing to raise awareness of the case competition to potential participants)
- Managed budget of $30,000 for organizing the whole event
- Result: over 140 teams participated in the competition (4 members/team).

3. GMAT Focus 645 score by section
- 81Q / 86V / 79DI

Hope this would help you to better evaluate the strength of my profile for UK MBAs.
Thank you again for your response!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tarsara wrote:
Top100MBA.Club wrote:
Tarsara wrote:

My profile:

Nationality

Work Experience

Notable/Major projects

• Series C fundraising
Post-MBA goal

­

Hi Tarsara

Best,
Divesh Chellani

­Hi Divesh,

First of all, thank you for your detailed response. Here are some of the details you've listed that are missing in my original post.
1. Undergrad Major
- Economics
- GPA: 3.88/4.00
- Studied at one of the two most recognized universities in Thailand

2. Extracurricular activities
Member of the Consulting Club's management team
- The club is designed to help fellow students become abit more familiar with different career functions and industries they could pursue by hosting interactive sessions with guests working in those industries. (e.g. management consulting, tech consulting, e-commerce, FMCG)
- Designed and co-hosted club sessions with guests from well-known domestic and multinational companies.
Co-led the Consulting Club team to organize HSBC Thailand Business Case Competition 2020
- led the end-to-end process of organizing a case competition (financial planning & budgeting; supplier sourcing for marketing materials, merchandises and equipments needed to run a case competition; conducting PR roadshow to major universities around Bangkok as well as online marketing to raise awareness of the case competition to potential participants)
- Managed budget of $30,000 for organizing the whole event
- Result: over 140 teams participated in the competition (4 members/team).

3. GMAT Focus 645 score by section
- 81Q / 86V / 79DI

Hope this would help you to better evaluate the strength of my profile for UK MBAs.
Thank you again for your response!

Thanks Tarsara

From what I'm reading you have a well balanced overall profile and it is only going to boil down to how well you present your application now. So I wouldn't advise you to retake the GMAT at this stage and focus on your application material for the schools.

Do reach out if you need my help with crafting a winning narrative. I would love to help you crack some of those.

PS: Don't forget to include LBS in your target list. It's worth a shot!

Best,
Divesh Chellani
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Tarsara,

I hope you are doing well. Congratulations on your recent GMAT score! This translates to a very strong 700 on the classic GMAT scale, putting you in a competitive position for many top MBA programs.

While your current score is impressive and positions you well for most UK programs, Cambridge & Oxford, with their average GMAT around 690, might benefit from a slightly higher score. However, retaking the GMAT requires significant effort, and the potential return on investment for a marginal improvement may be outweighed by focusing on other application components.

Given the approaching deadlines, let's prioritize strengthening your essays, securing strong recommendations, and strategically networking with alumni. These elements can significantly enhance your application.

With your current profile, you have a strong chance at excellent UK programs like Imperial & Warwick. However, if Cambridge & Oxford remain your top choices, we can explore your potential for further GMAT improvement and any flexibility in their deadlines.

Remember, a well-rounded application showcasing your unique strengths and accomplishments can compensate for a slightly lower GMAT score. Being Thai is a definite advantage! We can leverage your unique perspective to enrich your essays and highlight your potential contribution to a diverse learning environment. Quantifying the impact of your extracurricular activities and tailoring your essays to each school's program and career goals will further strengthen your application.

Let's discuss your preferences and goals further to create a personalized strategy that maximizes your impact on admissions committees. 

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE PROFILE ANALYSIS SESSION 

Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.

Email: hasan@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Tarsara wrote:

• Section score: 81Q / 86V / 79DI

My profile:

Nationality

Undergrad Degree

• Majored in Economics at one of the two most recognized universities in Thailand
  • GPA: 3.88/4.00
Extracurricular Activities

• Member of the Consulting Club's management team
    • The club is designed to help fellow students become abit more familiar with different career functions and industries they could pursue by hosting interactive sessions with guests working in those industries. (e.g. management consulting, tech consulting, e-commerce, FMCG)
    • Designed and co-hosted club sessions with guests from well-known domestic and multinational companies.
  • Co-led the Consulting Club team to organize HSBC Thailand Business Case Competition 2020
    • led the end-to-end process of organizing a case competition
      • Financial planning & budgeting
      • Supplier sourcing for marketing materials, merchandises and equipments needed to run a case competition
      • Conducting PR roadshow to major universities around Bangkok as well as online marketing to raise awareness of the case competition to potential participants
    • Managed budget of $30,000 for organizing the whole event
    • Result: over 140 teams participated in the competition (4 members/team).

Work Experience

Notable/Major projects

• Series C fundraising
Post-MBA goal

­

­
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Tarsara wrote:

My profile:

Nationality

Undergrad Degree

• Majored in Economics at one of the two most recognized universities in Thailand

• The club is designed to help fellow students become abit more familiar with different career functions and industries they could pursue by hosting interactive sessions with guests working in those industries. (e.g. management consulting, tech consulting, e-commerce, FMCG)
    • Designed and co-hosted club sessions with guests from well-known domestic and multinational companies.
  • Co-led the Consulting Club team to organize HSBC Thailand Business Case Competition 2020
      • Supplier sourcing for marketing materials, merchandises and equipments needed to run a case competition
      • Conducting PR roadshow to major universities around Bangkok as well as online marketing to raise awareness of the case competition to potential participants

Work Experience

Notable/Major projects

• Series C fundraising
Post-MBA goal

Tarsara - A few points, in addition to the above:

1. The GMAT score is fine, and given your under-represented demographic (and with a strong application), you'd stand a good chance at the programs mentioned: I'd also add LBS to the mix. Any particular reason for your all-UK preference? INSEAD and HEC Paris are also good programs with Finance/ Thailand alum presence. 

2. Your career journey seems interesting - any promotions in your roles? A strong narrative would be crucial, highlighting your professional arc, skillsets you've picked up, and how/ why an MBA (and the particular B-school) would help get to your target roles.  

3. The latest ExtraCurriculars you've indicated seem to be in 2020. Any more recent ECs? B-schools love consistency, and particularly any activities aligned to their values (e.g. Oxford is big on sustainability). 

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to have a deeper chat.

­Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | HEC Paris MBA alum
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

Tarsara wrote:

My profile:

Nationality

Undergrad Degree

Work Experience

Notable/Major projects

• Series C fundraising
Post-MBA goal

­

­Hello Tarsara,

The good news is that you have a very well rounded profile; however, there is a fair bit of time before the next application cycle kicks off; hence, we see no harm in you retaking the GMAT particularly since you are targetting Oxford and Cambridge. Once the GMAT is out of the way, you may focus on your essays. A higher GMAT score coupled with a set of essays that adequately represent your strengths and achievements will give you a good chance at making it to your target schools.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot