Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:50 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2/4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 617 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Pre-MBA work experience [#permalink]

AdMan73 wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to apply to the top European MBA programs in the next couple years and I believe that most components of my application are OK, but a big worry for me is that I am currently working in Risk at a financial institution. Does that hurt my chances of 1) getting admitted and 2) if admitted, landing desirable jobs after mba?

It is not the most typical risk job in the sense that we work closely with consultants all year round and look at risk at a company-wide level - therefore, interacting with many stakeholders.

In terms of achievements at work, I am doing OK and have even received an award from the CEO, but will my middle-office work experience prevent me from landing consulting/ strategy/other roles in finance after mba?

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device

­AdMan73 Hope this finds you well. Job descriptions alone dont define your potential.  But I think that if you have another couple of years before you apply to a school like INSEAD, why don't you deliberately seize opportunities that add a new dimension to your profile? If you've realized that you would like to pursue something post-MBA where your current experience in risk does not pose a hurdle, then why not utilize the next two years to gain experience that propels you out of this inertia zone and shows as a steep takeoff point in your profile? This could fetch you a top B school admit. Business schools, at least the good ones, like to see that an MBA is NOT the first time someone is trying to move out of their comfort zone professionally. Top B schools abroad would be all the more wary if you pitch very steep career pivots as the post-MBA objective. Business schools ideally want to see proofs that you have made the effort to try new things and initiate a career transition on your own.

So unless you aren't particularly stoked about applying to the absolute top B-schools in the EU/UK, I would recommend strategizing your profile building in the next two years.

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. Reach out should you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. We do not cap discussion hours.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­

­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pre-MBA work experience [#permalink]
Thank you for your reply.

That’s good to hear! I have a decent GMAT score of 730.

What do you think about job opportunities after getting an mba? Would my work experience work against me when it comes to landing the typical MBA jobs?

ExpertsGlobal wrote:

AdMan73 wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to apply to the top European MBA programs in the next couple years and I believe that most components of my application are OK, but a big worry for me is that I am currently working in Risk at a financial institution. Does that hurt my chances of 1) getting admitted and 2) if admitted, landing desirable jobs after mba?

It is not the most typical risk job in the sense that we work closely with consultants all year round and look at risk at a company-wide level - therefore, interacting with many stakeholders.

In terms of achievements at work, I am doing OK and have even received an award from the CEO, but will my middle-office work experience prevent me from landing consulting/ strategy/other roles in finance after mba?

Thank you!

­Hello AdMan73,

Thanks for writing in.

So long as you are able to showcase growth, presence of skills that demonstrate your potential for a rigorous business school education, and a logical set of career goals, you will be alright. Work on performing in your current role; volunteer for leadership opportunities (both at work and outside of work), and focus on doing well on the GMAT. If you are able to do so, you need not worry about anything else. Business schools are open to those at middle-office positions - you only need to put forth a compelling application.

Hope this helps.

All the best!­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Pre-MBA work experience [#permalink]
Thank you for your feedback’

I am looking to apply to the best programs - INSEAD, HEC and LBS, but I believe it will be difficult for me to pivot to a consulting role right now with the work ex that I have.

MBAGuide wrote:

AdMan73 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you!

­AdMan73 Hope this finds you well. Job descriptions alone dont define your potential.  But I think that if you have another couple of years before you apply to a school like INSEAD, why don't you deliberately seize opportunities that add a new dimension to your profile? If you've realized that you would like to pursue something post-MBA where your current experience in risk does not pose a hurdle, then why not utilize the next two years to gain experience that propels you out of this inertia zone and shows as a steep takeoff point in your profile? This could fetch you a top B school admit. Business schools, at least the good ones, like to see that an MBA is NOT the first time someone is trying to move out of their comfort zone professionally. Top B schools abroad would be all the more wary if you pitch very steep career pivots as the post-MBA objective. Business schools ideally want to see proofs that you have made the effort to try new things and initiate a career transition on your own.

So unless you aren't particularly stoked about applying to the absolute top B-schools in the EU/UK, I would recommend strategizing your profile building in the next two years.

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. Reach out should you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. We do not cap discussion hours.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting

­
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Pre-MBA work experience [#permalink]