Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 12:31 It is currently 08 May 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
It depends on how good a learner you are. Have to learnt anything in your life by studying yourself and not going to any class?

I dont think PR or kaplan will teach you anything great in their class. Rather than spending the money on these expensive prep classes you can spend much lesser money on geting all the books and study yourself. Go to class only if you cant study due to job or whatever. Just my personal opinion.

And yes if at all you go to a prep class then PR and kaplan are not good. I have heard good reviews about Manhattan on this forum.

PS: I dint go to any classes and studied by myself. There are loads of materials on this forum and many people will be eager to answer your queries if you post them here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also did private tutoring with MGMAT, they were the best but it just not enough time to full grasp all the material they offer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would add that if you saw problems on the practice test that you didn't know how to do, then you need to go back to the core concepts and drill those until you cannot forget them. This is the what I experienced with the actual GMAT and I realized my core quant concepts were weak (I just learned a bunch of tricks which are useless for a 600+ if the foundation is not there).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I need a MINIMUM of a 600 and 650 would be ideal. (I know that so many of you have 700+ and believe me, I think you are all brillant! I am just praying to break 600 at some point!)

Don't worry, you're not the only one like that here! We still seem to be in the minority, but are becoming a more vocal minority. :-D

I also had problems with the quant. I second qtip's suggestion on the drilling of core concepts. However, I learned here that unless you're going for 700+, don't waste too much time on the permutations/combinations. It seems that those mostly only come up if you're headed towards a really good quant. score. It seemed that no matter how much I studied those, I just could not wrap my head around them! Oh, and really, DS is my downfall.

BTW, I scored a 620 on the test with a Q35 and V40. Obviously my verbal score was my saving grace. But, the scores were good enough to get me into my school of choice, which was all I was worried about!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks so much everyone -- this is great. What are the best resources to learn the core concepts per qtip's suggestion?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I found that the Princeton Review's GMAT math review book to be very helpful in explaining all of the math concepts. One problem that I had, that I don't really see mentioned here much, is that although I might have learned how to do most of the stuff in school, it was with a calculator. I found myself having to relearn how to do a bunch of stuff without a calculator!

The OG math workbook was good also. It has a better section on the math concepts than the general OG. I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
advice [#permalink]
If you post the subscores for each section, I can probably better assist you.

If you are aiming for a 650, I would actually recommend the Princeton Review Online material, if you can spare the dough. I purchased it and it really did get me to a solid 650 fairly quickly. I had to use the Manhattan material to break 700 and my final score (1st time and last time) was a 770 (Q49, V47).

The issue with any course material, is that you really have to believe in it for it to work. You really can't adopt certain parts of a system and expect it to work. If you really feel you mastered the system and then decide to deviate from it, then of course that would be different.

Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot
advice [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts