Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 09:14 It is currently 03 May 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
WOW, that sounds insane! I guess "trial by fire" as they say! :)

so do your spouses/sig others go to these club presentations and flag football events? I can't see marriages lasting if one of the person is gone for the entire first year trying to attend everything!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I'm 2 1/2 weeks in, and they definitely keep you busy. Club presentations started the 2nd week. Just as I started to feel like I was getting a handle on the classroom workload, they decided to have some fun with us this week and (all the students believe) purposely overloaded us the last 2 days with coursework. We have a full day of career forums on Friday, and recruiters start showing up on Monday. Add in social events, sports competitions (had a full day of flag football last Saturday) and other "enrichment" type events and there aren't many minutes to spare. I guess the good thing is that you become part of the community right away; at least I'm feeling pretty well supported and that everyone is having similar experiences.

A sticky on this theme, i.e., "they're killing us with "x" this week" might be valuable, especially as 9 months from now. It could provide (me included) the innocent with a useful timetable based on the collective experiences of the current students. If we had someone with decent HTML skills it could be done as an interactive timeline.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
My big complaint about Fuqua: they started hitting us with club sign-ups BEFORE the first day of the regular term. If you want to be in the cabinet, some of the applications were already due - and today is day 3 of the term. I think that's lame. Really, what would it hurt to give us a week? We'll be in a better place to assess where we are, what our interests are, and what we're capable of.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm getting revved up just reading this stuff!

Good thing grades are second to networking in bschool.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
My big complaint about Fuqua: they started hitting us with club sign-ups BEFORE the first day of the regular term. If you want to be in the cabinet, some of the applications were already due - and today is day 3 of the term. I think that's lame. Really, what would it hurt to give us a week? We'll be in a better place to assess where we are, what our interests are, and what we're capable of.

That sucks.
At HBS we are blocked from almost everything (outside academics and social events) on day 1 and start gaining access to resources as time goes by. Next week we'll get access to clubs, then later on to the recruiting cycle resources and so on. I think it helps people start better.

L.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
OK, so resumes have picked up speed, charity community work is kicking in heavy on Monday, clubs start this week, elections start this week and we already have seven chapters of reading for one class (itself the most competitive class in the school).

Being in a karaeoke bar at 2.30am is not a good way to help yourself along with this.

I can't really see how knowing this will truly help an incoming class. You will get drowned no matter what. That is the whole point.

God forbid when recruiting picks up.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
tips for surviving the "drowning" would be appreciated ;)
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, myself and Johnny x9 have been in pretty much the same things for the past three weeks. And despite our best efforts, we have not even met each other yet.

I haven't a clue who standard (another sternie) is, so maybe I have met him.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
tips for surviving the "drowning" would be appreciated ;)

As 3underscore said, there are no easy tips. Get your time management act as together as you can and balance activities as well as you can.

I have received various forms of advice from lots of people, but I think each student needs to find how to make the most of the experience by himself.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Then again, it doesn't sound much different from my life in undergrad juggling engineering classes (15-20 hour homework sets every week PER class, 2-3 classes), 3 societies, and intramural sports... ;)

the difference is, I'm 10 years older now... :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
So far things are manageable but it's obvious that in about two weeks things will be spiraling out of control when recruiting starts. This will coincide with the beginning of project deadlines, problem set deadlines, etc...

3_Underscore - I've been a bit anti-social, spent my first few weeks here doing obligatory "Hey I'm in New York now let's have dinner" with friends who already lived here, missed some major social events. Although I did make it to the Brazilian independence thing at that Boulevard club last Friday, were you there?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh yeah one other thing. Going to b-school in the middle of New York is awesome.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
that's one thing I never understood... recruiting starts within a few weeks of school starting. How are they going to judge how good of a business person you are when you have barely taken 2-3 weeks of class? Based on your GMAT Score and previous job? What about for career switchers?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
that's one thing I never understood... recruiting starts within a few weeks of school starting. How are they going to judge how good of a business person you are when you have barely taken 2-3 weeks of class? Based on your GMAT Score and previous job? What about for career switchers?

The reasoning is:

a) you've gotten into (insert school), so you are good enough to have made it through that cut.
b) we'll look at your CV and probably interview you a couple of times.
c) we'll get the chance to meet you better while on the summer job, and if we like you we will make you a full time offer.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
true, but if 50% of MBA students don't do what they say they'll do in their career goals essays, how does one know to apply for a consulting, IB, or non-profit internship within the 2nd or 3rd week of school? Just wondering.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
true, but if 50% of MBA students don't do what they say they'll do in their career goals essays, how does one know to apply for a consulting, IB, or non-profit internship within the 2nd or 3rd week of school? Just wondering.

Well, the idea is that you're not really applying just yet. A lot of what goes on now is informational. You attend company presentations, which compels you to do some research. You hear from them, and schmooze a bit. Applications and interviews come later.

I'm going to a general management symposium tomorrow, just as a way to hear from some of these companies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Who said that Fuqua is a layback MBA program?? :lol: :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2