Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 16:26 It is currently 08 May 2024, 16:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 412 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have worked at 2 organizations in the US- one a relatively new financial services firm that has a very 'start-uppsih' feel to it. Promotions are strictly based on performance and were quite tough to get as most of the employees were entry level and the competition is quite severe.

The other is probably the biggest financial services firm in the world, and is very traditional. Rare to find associates getting promoted ahead of schedule. You can expect a promotion once in 2 yrs though.

aurobindo wrote:
Let me talk about my experience in Corporate India.

I got promotion, when my boss thought that I would leave without one.

With my little understanding I can say that it usually depends on the perceptions of the immediate boss, and his boss.

Yes. We have to ask for promotion. But without tangible results or indispensability or strong support from boss we can't expect promotion. In my opinion, last two factors are more important.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Re: Promotions on the job [#permalink]
I have been working for a little less than 2.5 years, and a I got my first promotion about 18 months in. I requested my promotion, but my manager already started the paperwork for the promotion before I requested it.

I work with a Fortune 50 company, not representative of small businesses.

hsampath wrote:
This is something Im curious about and thought this group might be able to help since most have been working for a few years now. In your experience, how are promotions handed out? Do you need to ask for them like you would a raise? Some of the bigger companies I assume you need to wait for a position to open up and apply for it as an internal employee. What about with smaller companies?

Im curious about how this works in corporate america. I dont know how it is in India now but when I was growing up I saw that a promotion was pretty much guaranteed every 4 years, esp if you were in the govt. That obviously cant be the case in India or in the US now.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I work for as a civilian for the military. Promotions are based on performance to a degree and also time. The initial promotions are based on time and passing qualifications. To make lead engineer a manager needs to select you based on completing even more quals, experience in specific evolutions, potential, and a very unfun oral board (an intense interview to test knowledge and leadership skills). I started in 2002 and of the 40 or so engineers that were brought into our department that year, I am one of the few to make lead engineer already, it ranges from 4 to 7 years and some people will never be promoted either by choice (dont want the extra responsibility) or because they were never selected.

My brother works for an ad agency (good sized not huge), it is totally based on performance. You make money for them, you move up. They will inflate titles and pay to keep a valuable person who may be leaving but you really need to earn it to move up in real positions. If they think you will leave they will promote you if you have earned it, if not they will let you go. My bro is 30 and is already pretty high in management and is the youngest person at his level. He was promoted last year got a big raise, then 6 months later he was promoted again and another big raise which was extremely unusual, he basically doubled his salary in a year. They tend to peg people for senior management and if you are one of the very select few they do everything to keep you from leaving. Another common practice is that they also try to steal people from other agencies that are pegged as stars.

My wife works for a very large company and its based almost all on seniority, though you can apply for open positions but that still is heavily influenced by years you have been working. You can plug along and continue to move up without being anyone amazing. They dont have the competition for the superstars like where my brother works so its a very linear path...no one makes huge jumps unless their dad runs the company.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks everyone. Thanks river, that's great info - comparison between the different types of companies. I asked for a raise and got one recently(a fairly big one) but wasnt sure about promotions.

I know my work has evolved over the years across my different jobs and projects as a consultant, but have never received a formal promotion in my career. My last review was excellent, but I tend not to believe reviews - maybe the raise is an indication that Im performing well, but on the other hand, it may just mean I was underpaid before and did not negotiate correctly when I joined.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Judging from what I have been told by my brother and father, who do a lot of hiring, its easier to give someone a lot more money than a higher position a lot of times. Salaries are usually strictly confidential and its pretty much standard every where not to talk about them with anyone...so you can be paid 100K vs someone else making 70K and have the same title. Where if you get a title everyone knows it, though occasionaly titles are just fancy sounding and nothing different. A great example was when my wife left her last job she asked for a raise and she would stay for X dollars, they informed her that she was already making more than anyone else in her group, including her supervisor...so they couldnt give her anymore.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Exactly. I cant talk abt my salary with my colleagues, and I feel that the raise is no indication if I am actually performing well - whereas recognition amongst peers at least boosts your confidence a bit. I should not complain - at the end of the day I guess money is more valuable than fluff like a fancy title - if I had to choose between the two.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
The fancier title does help when applying for new jobs or schools. Right now since I am applying to school, I would rather have an impressive title than 10K more in salary.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
which is why I have started thinking abt the title.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
You can always plant seeds with your supervisors. I received my first promotion at my last job due to my expressed interest before the position came open...be subtle though.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, good point. If I do get the promotion though, PT MBA makes far more sense for me than a FT MBA - I dont intend to change industries.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
The fancier title does help when applying for new jobs or schools. Right now since I am applying to school, I would rather have an impressive title than 10K more in salary.

I work in an extremely small office (me and my boss) and I had this very discussion with her when I was thinking about applying to b-school. So, she gave me a fancier sounding job title! Unfortunately, one of the pitfalls of working for nonprofits is that money can be pretty limited, and so big raises are far and few between. However, this year my boss saw that I have taken on extra responsibilities and I got a larger raise than I normally do.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Comparing job titles with my wife she is a senior engineer and I am a lead engineer (different type of engineers at very different jobs). Now honestly at this point I really prefer the lead engineer over senior. Senior sounds like you get it because you are old or have been there for a while. Lead sounds like you are in charge of things...

We basically are at the same level just with different titles. Though on paper one definitely seems more appealing to me.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, I agree. My case is a bit different. If you look at the company org chart, my title is one level above senior consultant, but I wonder if outsiders will know/understand that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
just my 2 cents on the title thing. Every industry has its own set of titles, some impressive, some not. I think the adcoms have seen enough titles from the industries to know that the VP of something at a bank might not have the leadership and responsibilities of a "senior engineer" at a big company.

In the similar defense industry, no matter how good you are, unless you have some VP who's pushing you through promotions personally, there are set years you have to work PLUS good performance before you get promoted. I believe even on the "fast track", it takes 4 years (from a bachelor's degree) to go from associate to senior engineer, then another 4 years from that to go to Staff. none of the titles really sound impressive until you get to Manager, and that takes 10 years or more.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agree kryzak. My first job in India right out of college was at a huge company that was supposed to be like that. I asked specifically because I want to know how it is done in the US, so I can talk to my manager if need be. I knew I had to talk abt the raise and did, but wasnt sure abt a promotion. Mine is a very small company (30 people)

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]