Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 16:59 It is currently 03 May 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: How's everyone's internship hunt going? [#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Typically MBA interns are paid at the same rate as full-time first year workers.

I've found the reverse is true.... typically its higher for internships than for FT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
internships sometimes include housing and relocation assistance. Including those one-time numbers when translating to annual incomes would be inflationary, of course.

Are you specifically speaking about consulting internships or across the board. My understanding was that interns received between 70-90% of their actually salary if they were to have an offer extended, then prorated based on length of internship. Any others have information on this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
internships sometimes include housing and relocation assistance. Including those one-time numbers when translating to annual incomes would be inflationary, of course.

woooow that is so nice :) I cannot wait to be an MBA intern :)

when I was in undergrad I got paid 3K for my internships for the entire summer! :)) I had to really live on a budget to be able to do the internships
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
squali83 wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Are you specifically speaking about consulting internships or across the board. My understanding was that interns received between 70-90% of their actually salary if they were to have an offer extended, then prorated based on length of internship. Any others have information on this?

At banks, summer salary is exactly the same as full-time salary for most firms (95k annually right now). Of course, IB compensation is all about the bonus, and summer associates are not paid bonuses in the same way. Many banks offer summer-end bonuses of about 50% of the summer salary for people that earn full-time offers (and accept I guess). This is a summer bonus and people also receive a separate signing bonus.

I've also heard that a few investment banks (Citi and BofA) pay their summer associates at an hourly rate based on the normal annual salary. Of course, bankers work a whole lot of hours and some people make $50-60k for the summer. Summer compensation isn't a primary consideration for most, but that's a pretty nice haul.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pelihu, what area of i-banking are you interested in?

I have recently become interested in sales&trading, and I was wondering how hard it is to break into s&t? Is prior work experience important?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
An SY I know who summered in IB told me he made $95k (!!) this summer. We were at a bar and my quantitative analysis skills were perhaps subpar, but that's what I think he said.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
holy smokes that's a lot for one summer!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
yeah, no wonder i kept letting him buy me drinks. should have upped the vodka brand, eh?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Well, I haven't heard that about summer compensation, but if you throw in the signing bonus then that sounds about right. Maybe he was talking about his total take before coming back to school. I think signing bonuses were generally $40-60k last year, and if he worked at one of the places that paid hourly he'd be at $95k comfortably for the summer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
IB Summers get signing bonuses? That's the first I've ever heard of this. Sometimes a housing subsidy of a few thousand is thrown in for New York hires, but I doubt if summer associates even make $40k - $60k during the entire internship!

pelihu wrote:
Well, I haven't heard that about summer compensation, but if you throw in the signing bonus then that sounds about right. Maybe he was talking about his total take before coming back to school. I think signing bonuses were generally $40-60k last year, and if he worked at one of the places that paid hourly he'd be at $95k comfortably for the summer.
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
IB Summers get signing bonuses? That's the first I've ever heard of this. Sometimes a housing subsidy of a few thousand is thrown in for New York hires, but I doubt if summer associates even make $40k - $60k during the entire internship!

pelihu wrote:

I think Pelihu was talking about a signing bonus for the offer he was extended at the end of the internship for a full time position. I have also heard that for bankers the compensation for the internship is equal to what you would receive as a FT employee. I wouldnt expect anything less for the hours they work. I think the going package his year for the summer seems to be right about $30K from what I have been hearing. It also seems to be consistent between the interns going to NYC or staying in Houston. However, some banks do pay better than others (Goldman I hear does pay significantly better, but they work you extra hours to make sure they are getting their $$ worth). Also, I heard of a summer associate last year who received a bonus because a deal that he was working on closed that summer. This summer associate probably pulled in ~ $75K for the summer, but this is an extreme case. I guess comp, in terms of representation of FT pay, is strictly related to the function/industry you are going into.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Actually, there is a signing bonus, but there's also an end of summer bonus that's paid to people who receive and accept offers. I agree that people are paid the same regardless of which office they are in, though after starting full-time this may not necessarily be true for all firms.

Also, Goldman is typically the best paying bank for full-time compensation, but my friends tell me that they aren't necessarily all that generous over the summer. Other firms also like to point at Goldman as a firm that likes to do a little weeding out after the summer (as opposed to making offers to substantially everyone) but I sense that this is sour grapes because Goldman has been kicking everyone's butts.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Darden 2010 - I recruited for S+T through this absolute carnage of a fall. Fire away on questions, I can happily discuss the ins and outs and chances for you. It really depends on who you are - you can switch, but you have to go about it very well to manage it. Well, at least when the market is having a disaster like this fall.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
So even with the economy in a recession, everyone is finding internships rather well. Or is this only true for the top (20) business schools?
Current Student
Send PM
89nk wrote:
So even with the economy in a recession, everyone is finding internships rather well. Or is this only true for the top (20) business schools?

Not in a top 20 program, but my class is having a fairly successful internship season. All major BB banks have extended offers to students, a few tier 2 consulting firms (not the major 3), some major corporations for marketing and general management and I think two VC firms and a few PE firms. All in all recruiting is strong across the board.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
lepium wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:
I want a consulting internship. But, if I for some reason don't get an internship offer from a consulting firm, what is the best 'substitute'? that would give me good experience before I apply for jobs at consulting firms next year?
I am thinking GM... but what do you guys think?

I think it'd be quite hard to not get any consulting job at all. There's a zillion consulting companies out there (and that's a conservative estimate) so you just need to put in the work and you'll eventually get a job. If, however, you are talking about getting into a specific subset of consulting companies (quoting the herd:M/B/B) then that's another story.

L.

Any thots on whether MBB have reduced the number of summer intake this year?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
sm176811 wrote:

Any thots on whether MBB have reduced the number of summer intake this year?

My friends here tell me that MBB hired about twice as many people as last year. I believe this is related to the fact that Darden put in an interview week before classes started in January. I allowed people to focus just on recruiting for that week and people really nailed their interviews. I don't know how their recruiting was at other schools.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6