Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants [#permalink]
Irishfan wrote:
As I was telling someone (Kwam, I believe) that I'd be more than happy to organize a trip down to South Bend during football season...takers? :-D :twisted:

If I get in for R2 I'll take you up on that. I have always loved the history surrounding ND football.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
ApolloLuna wrote:
Actually I did get a tidbit of info. A student on the admissions committee said that applications are up 30% this year. The acceptance rate is somewhere around 25%, and that it's definitely harder for guys to get in (not that we didn't already know that) - women's acceptance rate is estimated to be around 30%. Not sure how concrete the numbers are...probably more of an estimation than anything.

We did get to see some R1 admits' powerpoints - very interesting. There were some very cool ones, but some very basic ones too. It's definitely about the content and what it says about you, not about your design skills.

Also - it was so nice to meet the gmatclubbers. You are a very cool bunch!!

That's an interesting tidbit on the #s as I actually heard a bit differently from my admit rep when I talked to him Saturday night. He didn't want to get into specifics, but indicated that application rate was up nearly 50% and that acceptance rates were about 15% at best. We can see the number of acceptances in the portal (but not the # of apps)- but I know people are sensitive to this information so I will not disclose.

Again, at this point I'm somewhat hoping my Wharton WL doesn't come through. Had such a great time and love the city of Chicago - prepping for Cubs games already. Did some apartment hunting Sunday morning and saw some great buildings. Only downside of Chicago is that it doesn't appear to be a very pet friendly city! About 75-80% of the places I checked out didn't take small dogs (for full disclosure am looking in Lincoln Park, Gold Coast and Old Town). Anyone around here happen to know dog friendly buildings in the city?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
JP - here's hoping that Wharton doesn't come through for you, either. My wife and I really enjoyed meeting both you and Mona!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Irishfan wrote:
JP - here's hoping that Wharton doesn't come through for you, either. My wife and I really enjoyed meeting both you and Mona!

Thanks Ditto meeting you!

.. actually just put down the deposit and sent in my sloan rejection. Debating just withdrawing from Wharton as I might still take Chicago over Wharton after how much I enjoyed this last weekend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
jpjazzman wrote:
Irishfan wrote:

Thanks Ditto meeting you!

.. actually just put down the deposit and sent in my sloan rejection. Debating just withdrawing from Wharton as I might still take Chicago over Wharton after how much I enjoyed this last weekend

damn straight.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
jpjazzman wrote:
Only downside of Chicago is that it doesn't appear to be a very pet friendly city! About 75-80% of the places I checked out didn't take small dogs (for full disclosure am looking in Lincoln Park, Gold Coast and Old Town). Anyone around here happen to know dog friendly buildings in the city?

It varies a lot. How big is your dog? Generally speaking, its going to be hard to find a place downtown takes dogs over 25 lbs. Most high rises have these weight limitations. Most people with dogs end up living in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, etc. The options are far greater there. In general, with pets, your best bet is going to be to rent from a private owner. Once you've completely made up your mind your coming, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
jpjazzman wrote:
Only downside of Chicago is that it doesn't appear to be a very pet friendly city! About 75-80% of the places I checked out didn't take small dogs (for full disclosure am looking in Lincoln Park, Gold Coast and Old Town). Anyone around here happen to know dog friendly buildings in the city?

We ran into the same problem, well our dog isnt exactly small (75lb shepherd mix). Thankfully during DAK, significant others got to go to different condo and apartment buildings...so my wife saw most of the places in Evanston that are popular for Kellogg students and figured out where dogs are allowed. A few of the apartment buildings allowed small dogs but the ONLY places that allowed dogs over 25/30lbs were condos and it was up to the individual owners of the units to make that decision.

My wife found the building she wanted to live in, luckily there were 4 or 5 units listed on the admitted students website so I emailed everyone of them and asked about the dog. I found on where the landlord (a kellogg alum) was fine with our dog, I think the fact she has completed several obedience classes and my wife is doing canine good citizen with her right now helped. Rent will be $25 more a month and a there is a $400 deposit for the dog, $200 of which is non-refundable...overall that is very reasonable to me since a lot of places around me here charge $25-50 more for a cat and $50-100 more for a dog a month (wear and tear I guess).

If there is a list of apartments on your admitted students board it might be a great place to find a place. A lot of 2nd year students at Kellogg post their apartments on there, and I found that to be the best resource. Having my wife pick her ideal building at the start of admit weekend allowed me to check it out on Sunday before we left...now we dont have to pay a bunch of money to fly back out there to apartment hunt, which would be pretty stressful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
JP - to add to Rhyme's and River 's posts on dogs:

I live in Chicago and have 2 fairly large dogs (lab and a boxer). I would say the city is really pet friendly. But - as was mentioned, you will have problems in the high rises downtown / streeterville, RN, along the lake in LP etc. Renting a condo/apt of 3 flat (usually privately owned) or the smaller apt buildings in Lakeview/LP/Bucktown/Etc is usually the easiest route to go. I never had an issue finding a place with my dogs. If you have a larger dog I would recommend looking at the Chicago Park district's website to have an idea where you can leash free parks, etc.

Also - I've heard some of the newer high rises in South Loop are more pet friendly (ie dogs over 25lbs = ok).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Transcript Issue Resolved!

I called earlier today, found out they hadnt received it and resigned to send another notarized copy by overnight mail. An hour later the person I had spoken to earlier from the GSB called me and said that she found it and wanted to save me a trip!!! I guess this is going an extra mile.

Anyone having Chicago GSB's 'going the extra mile' stories?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Ooops. Then i better call them regarding my transcripts.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Ad Weekend 1, March 6-8

Mar/06
Thursday Night Drinking Club (TNDC):
It was in a bar called Durkin's (https://www.mcgeestavern.com/durkins/index.shtml), beer for U$2 for GSBers, talked to many admitted students and current students, talked to dabots, ApolloLuna and rhyme. Got home at 1.30 but I didn't drink too much.

Mar/07
The welcome from Rose Martinelli, Ted Snyder and two alumni started slow (at least for me, I'm a morning person :wink: ), but it was fine.
Professor Harry L. Davis talked about leadership and flexible curriculum during 15 minutes, and was followed by John Heaton who gave a mock 1 hour finance class talking about alpha and beta and what fund manager should we hire - for me it was easy - he seemed to be serious but still handling well the "class" and giving good insights.
Then groups were formed in accordance to anyone's goals I went to the Finance panel, were Shikher Bisaria a faculty member and many students gave their insights about the industry and answered questions.

At 1.30 with our "lunch" in hands we went to take another "class" from Nicholas Epley, professor of behavioral science: AMAZING CLASS! I'm sure I'll tackle soft skills at my MBA...

They talked them about the random walks (Thailand, Peru, China, Brazil, etc...)

Then Rose Martinelli, talked a little bit more, showing some of the ppt, some really funny, another one VERY impressive with the whole body, very stylish, cool. There was another with the "Pringle's" problem that I really liked. We could see there that they weren't really looking for your ppt skills, as some of them were kind of basic in therms of visual aspects. I remember something about 35% of increase in application this year, but as I was without a pen, I didn't take note.

Then at the Winter Garden :o I had some beers, and talked to the Latin Business, European Business, PE/VC/Entrepreneurship, Finance, Investment Management, Ski and some other clubs.

2 hours later at 8.30PM I went to the RockIt bar to gather with rhyme and other admitted and current students, and later we went to Max Bar, were until 1.30 (once again :P ) I partied...

Mar/08
Started with a breakfest and a message from Rose, and later we had some info sessions about support services and career services.

Then we could start opting Financial Aid or Experiential Learning, I went for the second, were I learnt about some Labs, the Polsky Center, PE, VC, etc. Linda Darragh and Jonatahn Frenzen were the faculty during this activity.

At noon, I had lunch with some folks and a graduated alumnus from some time (not sure how much though it seems like 2 years ago), he was very helpful, answering many questions, and giving some examples, why his class of Happiness Theory at the Psychology Department has been helpful for his career path :shock: :o :) .

Then we had a speech from Logan McDougal MBA '00, he was very kind and honest, he even told us: "if you got into a top 15 school, now is time to relax, you'll be fine, and if you're choosing between GSB and another of this one no matter where you go, you'll be fine." I really liked the honesty and I share his thoughts.

Panels about housing with Q&As and later a City tour ended the Ad weekend for me.

Hey no, later we had a dinner :wink: . I was talking to some current student Jamie Rauch and later we all discovered the guy was a silver medal at the 4x200 at Sydney - we can say that actually he was gold as he lost for Thorpe's team :wink: .
But the best part was when Deputy Dean Stacey Kole shared with us her moments at HBS celebration of it's first 100 years. A clear message: GSB wants to be recognized not only at rankings but everywhere as the best B-school, and will make efforts for that.

Later I went with a childhood friend who I hadn't seen for 5 years to some blues bars, I was sold to Chicago as I'm a blues/jazz/soul lover.

I really enjoyed the time I had there, the people there, the school philosophy, and oh MAN THE FACILITIES ROCK, absolutely astonishing. Just didn't like how far the campus is from downtown, but that's a minor con for a bunch of pros...

The students were very helpful, and I could fell that many people after the tour - before the last dinner - were sold to the school, many went to buy shirts, caps, bags, etc, etc, etc. I bought a skull cap :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Talk about communication gap. I just now talked to an admissions person at Chicago to get my transcript status resolved. I had so much trouble getting her to note my full name which is 4 words/35 letters long that I asked for her email address and sent her my details. It was so funny to see the person at the other end getting flustered over spelling my name. My g became j for her and so on. It was hilarious.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Soooo... R3 deadline is tomorrow. Anyone gonna jump in the last car of the train?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
tsaditya wrote:
Talk about communication gap. I just now talked to an admissions person at Chicago to get my transcript status resolved. I had so much trouble getting her to note my full name which is 4 words/35 letters long that I asked for her email address and sent her my details. It was so funny to see the person at the other end getting flustered over spelling my name. My g became j for her and so on. It was hilarious.

Hehe .. funny. Well, that's why God invented the NATO/FAA phonetic alphabets:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Chart2.svg

ps. Although for 35 letters, I'd also prefer to just send an email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
ahh, good for you kwam! so now the question is, if the "other" GSB accepts you... what will you do? :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Great debrief Kwam! I hope prospectives for Class of '11 read these admitted student weekend debriefs because they give a different perspective of the school that you can't find in viewbooks and on the website.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
dj there's still a day, you can join us mate !!

Kudos for the debrief kwam. I wish I had an admit already !!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  101   102   103   104   105  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts