Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 03:55 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Re: Cold feet....? [#permalink]
Wasn't "cold-feet" the last stage in the 7-stages of application? :lol:

Of course you will do great coming from Ross or Duke (who am I kidding, you are going to Ross). There's always a risk of things not working out. It was risky when you came to the US or whenever you changed jobs etc. But you came out better every time, didn't you? Have faith in the 12+ months of research and decision making that led you here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
An interesting article in the New York times on the benefits of "closing doors" and how our generation has a sometimes irrational compulsion towards keeping options open.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/scien ... ref=slogin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
good article :)

but this decision process has been so easy for me since I only applied to 2 schools, got dinged by one and got a full ride at the other :).
I am actually releaved that I don't have to close any doors :)

you chould join us at Ross dosa. Money comes and money goes but the MBA will always stay with you... you will pay-off the debt but you will never have to wonder 'oh what would have happened had I used the great opportunity and attended a top b-school"

Steel wrote:
An interesting article in the New York times on the benefits of "closing doors" and how our generation has a sometimes irrational compulsion towards keeping options open.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/scien ... ref=slogin
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Ross or Duke will get you where you want to go, even if they're not UEs. Any Elites should get you there, unless you want PE or the big 3 consulting (which will make it harder, but not impossible).

I mean, you have a guy here (me) who's leaning at a Elite school (Haas) over a UE, and not even thinking twice about going to B-school. :)
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the reassuring words guys...it just seems so out of my comfort zone (which is one BIG reason I want to go to school!) but I guess this is the first step in that.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Dosa, if you really really wanna you can always join me next year in the UE hunt :P .
Current Student
Send PM
bsd- that thought did cross my mind :) This is what I think about that option:

HS: almost impossible
W: reapplicant friendly but I am pretty sure its impossible especially with the increase in the number of bankers who will be applying
MIT: very academic and my gpa might not really help me anyways (thats why I did not apply this year)
CBS: Is reapplicant friendly, especially in ED but I dont really like the school as much
C and K: these are probably my best bets amongst these but am not sure if it is worth waiting for a year. This is something I am evaluating

The only other school I love: Tuck- too remote for me though I absolutely LOVE the school. Impossible for my wife to land a job there.

the other schools are in the same bucket, so doesnt make any sense to reapply.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Dosa, it all really comes down to one simple question:

Which do you like better? Football or basketball?

The answer to that question is also the answer to your other question. See, sometimes life IS that simple ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
msday86 wrote:

The answer to that question is also the answer to your other question. See, sometimes life IS that simple ;)

Michigan basketball was TERRIBLE this year. However, this was not unexpected and was definitely a rebuilding year. They have a great coach (stolen from W. Virginia) and will undoubtedly be on the rebound next year.

Also, you can't forget about Michigan hockey. I'm not a hockey fan myself, but my gf (who went to law school at UMich) says that these games are amazing and the tickets are highly sought after.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
I believe he likes "cricket" the best :P

In all seriousness - dosa both are great schools and you can't go wrong with either of them. However, this is a once in a lifetime thing. Certainly not something you'd want to "compromise" on (don't mean to denigrate either schools in anyway). If its a UE that you have your heart set on then you should certainly give it another go. You have plenty of time between now and R1 to be able to write essays for at least 4 UEs by R1 deadlines.

Just food for thought.

msday86 wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Can you defer your admits? But seriously do you want to go through the "pain" again. I'm planning to apply for Fall 09 but have read enough to realize that this process is like having a second job.

bsd_lover wrote:
I believe he likes "cricket" the best :P

In all seriousness - dosa both are great schools and you can't go wrong with either of them. However, this is a once in a lifetime thing. Certainly not something you'd want to "compromise" on (don't mean to denigrate either schools in anyway). If its a UE that you have your heart set on then you should certainly give it another go. You have plenty of time between now and R1 to be able to write essays for at least 4 UEs by R1 deadlines.

Just food for thought.

msday86 wrote:

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
dosa, what did you want to do again (sorry I forgot, too many things to keep track of)? Why not consider Haas, which has the reputation of Tuck these days (especially after today's new rankings) and the Berkeley name is stronger than most of the parent schools of the UEs (except for Harvard, Stanford, and maybe MIT for tech).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
My opinion on cold feet this year. Would you want to apply all over again if you already have an admit? Not saying that the work may not be worth it if you succeed but it seems to be pretty universally agreed upon that next year is going to be even more difficult than this year. So if the bar is going to raise once again you are going to have to not only increase your profile to meet this years admit level but you are going to have to exceed that, by how much we dont know yet but it could be MUCH higher at some schools.

I think that getting an admit to any top 20 school this year is an impressive feat, and is it worth risking that to try to get in someplace higher up the food chain. What would you do if you didnt get in next year? Be happy you got into a school that you really like (you applied there if you didnt you wouldnt have applied), try to ignore the feelings you got from being dinged by other schools...and enjoy the next two years.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
I also counsel against re-applying next year for two reasons:

1. Can you really see yourself at your current job for another year? I'm sure part of you has already checked out mentally, and it's gotta be tough to get that back.
2. Less competition for me ;)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Go devils!

Dosa, I don't remember...you in for BDW?
Current Student
Send PM
Kryzak- that is the problem- I am not "REALLY" sure on what I want to do. I am most definitely leaning towards consulting but do want to explore other industries/functions- which Ross/Duke should offer. I shall have to talk to some Ross Alums (students always sell the school :)) and see what they feel.

kryzak wrote:
dosa, what did you want to do again (sorry I forgot, too many things to keep track of)? Why not consider Haas, which has the reputation of Tuck these days (especially after today's new rankings) and the Berkeley name is stronger than most of the parent schools of the UEs (except for Harvard, Stanford, and maybe MIT for tech).
Current Student
Send PM
Exactly what I think RR- going through this process is a nightmare and that too as I mentioned in a previous post, there are only two UE schools that I realistically have a shot and its not probably not worth it in that case.

I think I am just too attached with this process and am not able to move on. I must confess like I am one of those guys in the article steel shared with us (GREAT article steel)- just trying t oleave too many options open.

riverripper wrote:
My opinion on cold feet this year. Would you want to apply all over again if you already have an admit? Not saying that the work may not be worth it if you succeed but it seems to be pretty universally agreed upon that next year is going to be even more difficult than this year. So if the bar is going to raise once again you are going to have to not only increase your profile to meet this years admit level but you are going to have to exceed that, by how much we dont know yet but it could be MUCH higher at some schools.

I think that getting an admit to any top 20 school this year is an impressive feat, and is it worth risking that to try to get in someplace higher up the food chain. What would you do if you didnt get in next year? Be happy you got into a school that you really like (you applied there if you didnt you wouldnt have applied), try to ignore the feelings you got from being dinged by other schools...and enjoy the next two years.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2