Last visit was: 31 May 2024, 15:27 It is currently 31 May 2024, 15:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: extension courses [#permalink]
I agree with everyone else here. While your GMAT is probably sufficient to dispel any concerns, it is always better to show your focus and determination by acing the extension courses. A bunch of A's on these classes will wipe away all doubts, from you mind as well as the ad-coms minds. Good luck!

P.S : I responded to your PM. Hope it helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
Thanks very much for your input here!! I really appreciate the verification that I'm not nuts for thinking this will help the application :)

One other question to put out there: what's the time commitment like on these courses? While I am prepared to spend as much as needed to do well on these, I want to make sure I leave adequate time for other things...like the apps themselves!

Thanks again for your help,
ac.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Thanks very much for your input here!! I really appreciate the verification that I'm not nuts for thinking this will help the application :)

One other question to put out there: what's the time commitment like on these courses? While I am prepared to spend as much as needed to do well on these, I want to make sure I leave adequate time for other things...like the apps themselves!

Thanks again for your help,
ac.

I'm sure someone here who has taken courses through UCLA can give you a more relevant answer, but my online extension accounting course through BYU had 15 sections, each of which takes around 6-7 hours plus 3 midterms that have to be taken at an approved test center. I'd estimate the total course time to be around 110 hours. Since these are replacements for undergrad courses, the material should be equivalent to what you saw in a one semester course.
Current Student
Send PM
thanks! I think I also read somewhere that some schools require the exam to be done in person at the school? for berkeley, I live in the midwest so I'm not sure if that's feasible....

anyone else run into this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
You can take the exam out of state at a test center. I live in Chicago and I have the option to take it in the city and at a couple community colleges outside of the city. There's usually a small fee ($25 per test or $10 per hour) at these sites.

https://www-cmil.unex.berkeley.edu/resou ... m_req.html

If you scroll down to "Students outside of California" you can find a link to search for proctored exam sites in your state.
Current Student
Send PM
oh sweet!! That will work really well! Then I'll just have to drive to Milwaukee (1.5 hours away) instead of flying - so definitely more doable!

thanks much!
ac.
PS am way too excited about this! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Omne wrote:
I'd suggest taking it prior, to show the AdComs that you thought of this before the application process. I'm sure they'd still look at your alternate transcript, but being able to say "I am so motivated and interested in your MBA program that I enrolled in and aced Such and Such Course from UCLA Extension!"

I recently signed up for Math for Managers at UCLA Extension Online to do just that, and combat a poor mark in Quant and Stats at WFU. I went so far as to sign up at 5AM the day enrollment began, to prevent any possible way of me missing this course! It ends in September (short, just about two months), so I can send that transcript with my undergrad and say "I know my marks weren't up to my standards in these classes, so I took this class at UCLA to show that I can handle the rigorous program at University of Awesome.

Way to be thinking ahead on this one. I really like your idea!! :good
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

Hey, I'm here to help everyone out! I suggest the course though; the AdCom at USC-Marshall specifically mentioned that course by name, and I had heard from other sources that it's looked upon very favorably
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
If at all possible, take UCLA Extension on-site classes. I've taken the finance and accounting online classes and they are pretty much a joke. While they gave me some decent preparation, it is nearly impossible not to get an 'A' (with zero background I had over a 99% in both classes based on about two hours of work a week). While that might sound good, I am pretty sure ADCOMs have a good understanding of the courses' rigor (or lack thereof).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Omne wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Hey, I'm here to help everyone out! I suggest the course though; the AdCom at USC-Marshall specifically mentioned that course by name, and I had heard from other sources that it's looked upon very favorably

You're saying that the USC-Marshall adcom recommended the course "Math for Managers" specifically through UCLA extension?

Just want to clarify.
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Omne wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

You're saying that the USC-Marshall adcom recommended the course "Math for Managers" specifically through UCLA extension?

Just want to clarify.

That's what I'm saying. Straight from Veronica Ho.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
livehard wrote:
If at all possible, take UCLA Extension on-site classes. I've taken the finance and accounting online classes and they are pretty much a joke. While they gave me some decent preparation, it is nearly impossible not to get an 'A' (with zero background I had over a 99% in both classes based on about two hours of work a week). While that might sound good, I am pretty sure ADCOMs have a good understanding of the courses' rigor (or lack thereof).

Same for Berkeley extension, Basic Corp finance was a joke.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Will it say whether or not you took the course online on your transcript?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
thought i'd give this old thread a bump instead of starting a new one.

anyone who can comment on the current thought about online extension courses (UCLA or Berkeley Extension)?

I was thinking of taking a calculus course - is that too much or should i focus on a finance/accounting/stat class? which do you think is more relevant?

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi, I posted my thoughts about extension school in this thread. Hope that helps!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Are there any success stories of these classes making a difference in lieu of a weaker quant score on the GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi isa,

I wanted to share another pre-MBA resource that could complement taking formal, online courses to boost your GPA.

In addition to boosting their GPAs, many MBA candidates also look to boost their leadership resumes. That is why such individuals consider our professional group, USA Leadership Corps

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to enhance their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds by facilitating part-time volunteer nonprofit & small business strategy consulting projects.

Our website: www.usaLeadershipCorps.org

Therefore, as you earn an A+ in 'Math for Managers' via a great online course, you could be adding an A+ experience to your resume via our group.

Thank you & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2