Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:35 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great additions, Loom!

Regarding San Diego, I have good feeling about the future of UCSD. It is only natural that it will develop into one of the great business schools in CA over time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Re: US MBA Programs by Metro Area [#permalink]
:shock:

amazing job Hjort!!

Thank you so much

Regards
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
Does anyone have a strong opinion on selecting a school to target a specific post-grad job location? In my case I would like to eventually return to work in Houston/Dallas. Therefore, I have targeted a couple of local schools (Texas and Rice) as places I intend to apply in addition for trying to gain admittance to a couple UE schools. I am struggling with just how much added value a degree at an UE program would give me over a degree at UT or Rice, being that I want to return to Texas for work. It is a decision I hope to be fortunate enough to have to make, as opposed to having it made for me by rejection letters! :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Icon it really depends on who you want to work for. If you want a job at one of the big oil companies UT might actually be better than Wharton...you look like a person who will be there long term where a wharton grad might just be using it as a stepping stone. However, if you want a job at one of the big MC or IB companies for a Texas office then a UE would be the way to go. I think you need to determine where the companies you want to work for recruit heavily and whether a top regional school is better than a big name. I know UT is very highly regarded and has a good name outside of Texas...it would be my top choice for that region as a back-up to a UE.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I have heard (from many people who have worked in Texas) that Texan companies or Texan based offices often prefer the local schools over some of the UEs (not a blanket statement, but just a noticeable trend). Thus UT, Rice, and SMU are all good choices for Texan based companies.

but I do strongly urge you to consider some UEs and maybe Elites like Duke (closest one to the South), just in case you don't want to stay in Texas all your life or want to work for the bigger international companies in Banking, Consulting, or Marketing. It never hurts to have a UE and a local school in your pocket when you're making decisions on which school to attend next Fall. :)
Current Student
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I have heard (from many people who have worked in Texas) that Texan companies or Texan based offices often prefer the local schools over some of the UEs (not a blanket statement, but just a noticeable trend). Thus UT, Rice, and SMU are all good choices for Texan based companies.

but I do strongly urge you to consider some UEs and maybe Elites like Duke (closest one to the South), just in case you don't want to stay in Texas all your life or want to work for the bigger international companies in Banking, Consulting, or Marketing. It never hurts to have a UE and a local school in your pocket when you're making decisions on which school to attend next Fall. :)

It is funny that you mention Duke as a potential school to apply to. It was the last school that I cut when whittling my list of places to apply. I knew all along that UT and Rice would both be on my list. I then knew I wanted to apply to a couple of UE and Elite programs, as I feel that only that level of prestige would provide enough benifits to pick over a program like McCombs here in my home state. The 3 programs I picked to apply to were HBS, Chicago, and Kellogg. I have been to the Chicago area numerous times for work and play since graduation and absolutely love it. The strong reputation of both Kellog and GSB, in addittion to my love for the area make them obvious choices for me to apply to. I am planning a trip for August to visit both campuses before applying in Rd 1. Really and truly I should replace HBS with Duke on my list, but I feel like I would regret not at least giving it a shot at HBS due to some strong recs that might slightly improve my chances of getting in.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I put Duke on there because I believe it's the only non-UE school that would carry a lot of weight in Texas. Haas and Tuck may be near-UE schools, but things in Texas operate a bit differently than the rest of the country :P

Apply for HBS. Don't have "what if" moments later in your life. That's why I threw in a hopeless application to Stanford. :)
Current Student
Send PM
I certainly do think there is quite a bit of appeal to an UE as far as breadth of options and prestige. But for me, there is also an appeal in living in a new city and experiencing things that I haven't previously. B-School seems like such a great time to get out and try something different rather than stay with the status quo, so to speak.

I plan to bust my tail on all of my applications, hoping to get into one of my desired UE programs, but with the comfort of knowing that there are strong programs here in state that can help me reach my goals as well.

Kry and rr, you both make fantastic points in regards to this direct comparison. Thanks so much for you input.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Might disagree with UC Berkeley Haas being marked as 'just' elite (E), considering it had the same acceptance rate as Harvard last year (14%).

Maybe people might find this tool helpful:
https://skoolix.com/skoolixSearch.aspx

Lets u search by metro/city/state and many other variables...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
mbavolunteer wrote:
Might disagree with UC Berkeley Haas being marked as 'just' elite (E), considering it had the same acceptance rate as Harvard last year (14%).

There is a big difference between acceptance rate and the reputation of a school. Its pretty easy to have low admit rates when you are a very small program, see Yale, Tuck, and Haas. However, generally these are seen as backups for many people applying to the UEs. Yes people do choose to attend these programs over top schools for many reasons.

Haas also has the benefit of being the second best school on the West Coast...many people who want to be in Cali apply to Stanford and Haas...where if you want to be in the Northeast you have Wharton (close enough), MIT, HBS, Columbia, Tuck, Yale, and NYU.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Have to agree with river (however Haas-biased I am :P). Acceptance rate does not equal "quality", though indirectly it affects the quality.

Haas is one of those "border cases" like Tuck where it's "almost UE" but not there probably because of its (and Tuck's) small size. It's definitely a West Coast power house behind Stanford, and often times a school where people apply as a "backup" but end up attending over a UE (Haas vs Kellogg or Haas vs MIT are two of the most common scenarios where people are split probably 50-50).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
has anyone been to UC Davis MBA program for working professionals...they have an evening program for working professionals in the bayarea now but not sure how it compares to others i.e Haas
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2