Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [28]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
How can these lists help me?

1) To craft portfolios of schools in large urban areas. Many students have a spouse who works or need access to a large city for other reasons. These lists present large urban areas in order from the largest to the smallest to help identfy schools in large markets.

2) To see relatively oversubscribed academic markets. Compare the Boston and San Francisco metros. San Francisco is the larger metro area but has only two schools in these top clusters and they are both quite small for their clusters. On the other hand, Boston has two ultra elites and three NEF schools (HBS alone is larger than both SF schools together).

3) To see relatively underserved labor markets. For instance, look at Dallas, one of the ten largest metros in the US yet served by only one NEF or higher school.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Has anyone found these lists helpful?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Has anyone found these lists helpful?

I have found it very helpful. It helps you find out which markets may be "easier" to enter. Your Dallas example is spot on. When looking at law school, I looked at SMU. It is the only law school within 70 miles of Dallas, and it has many large firms. These Big Law firms pay the same rate as NYC, but the cost of living is much lower in Big D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Hjort,
I see that a lot of the schools in close proximity to the metros have been marked as NEF ...
What does this imply?

Thanks,
Naynesh.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort,
This is really useful information, particularly to me, who is new to US (~6 months) and needs to decide B school, wrt employment opportunities for my wife.

Really appreciate your efforts..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort,

The list really useful.
It is specially helpful for all international students, who don't have too much idea about locations in US.

Thanks a ton!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the note- I'm glad to see people are still finding and using this post.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
exellent!!!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great list, especially for people outside the US, with limited knowledge of the US geography ( like myself :) )
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks again. If there is additional information on US geography that you would find helpful, I welcome your suggestions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
what does NEF mean?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [3]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Extended Proximity List Including Schools within roughly 90 miles of Metro Area (ranked by Personal Income in Economic Area)

1. New York (1.031 trillion USD): Columbia (UE), New York University (E), Fordham (NEF), Yale (E) 75 miles

2. Los Angeles (0.664 trillion USD): UCLA (E), USC (TE), UC Irvine (NEF)

3. San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland (0.420 trillion): Stanford (UE), UC Berkeley (E)

4. Washington/Baltimore (0.397 trillion): Georgetown (NE), Maryland (NE), George Washington (NEF)

5. Chicago (0.394 trillion): University of Chicago (UE), Northwestern/Kellogg (UE), Notre Dame (NE) 90 miles

6. Boston (0.346 trillion): Harvard (UE), MIT/Sloan (UE), Boston College (NEF), Boston University (NEF), Babson (NEF)

7. Philadelphia (0.271 trillion): Penn/Wharton (UE), Temple/Fox (NEF)

8. Dallas (0.259): SMU (NEF)

9. Detroit (0.244 trillion): Michigan/Ross (E), Michigan State/Broad (NEF) 90 miles

10. Houston (0.233 trillion): Rice (NEF), Texas A&M (NEF) 90 miles

11. Miami (.228 trillion): There are quality institutions but none in these clusters

12. Atlanta (0.228 trillion): Emory (TE), Georgia Tech (NEF), Georgia (NEF) 70 miles

13. Minneapolis (0.190): Minnesota (NEF)

14. Seattle (0.171): University of Washington (NEF)

15. Denver (0.150): There are quality institutions but none in these clusters

16. Cleveland (0.149): Case Western/Weatherhead (NEF)

17. Phoenix (0.137) : ASU (NEF), Thunderbird (NEF)

18. Orlando (0.125): University of Florida is within range (NEF)

19. San Diego (0.119): There are quality institutions but none in these clusters

20. St. Louis (0.113): Washington University/Olin (NE)

21. Indianapolis (0.105): Indiana/Kelley (NE) 50 miles, Purdue (NE) 60 miles

22. Pittsburgh (0.101): Carnegie Mellon (TE), University of Pittsburgh (NEF)

23. Portland (0.098): There are quality institutions but none in these clusters

24. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (0.091): Duke (E), UNC-Chapel Hill (TE)

25. Sacramento (0.090) : UC Davis (NEF)

This is not an exhaustive list of schools in these clusters
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian's recent statement that he would like to see more discussion of schools outside of the top few clusters inspired me to create this listing of schools by personal income of the Economic Area associated with the school's metropolitan area.

I readily concede that personal income is an incomplete measure of the economy of different regions of the US, especially in light of the fact that some forms of economic activity tend to be concentrated in specific metro areas (e.g., finance in New York, media in Los Angeles). However, personal income does provide a useful first approximation of the relative size of different regional economies as well as some sense of the "internally created" demand for professional managers in different metro areas.

Some observations:

1) Note that several of the Top 25 metro areas do not have any schools from the top three or even four clusters in them. Indeed, a few do not even have any schools from the Near Elite Frontier cluster in close proximity.

2) While California is often seen as having two "economic capitals", they are hardly equals, at least in terms of personal income. Note that the total personal income of the San Francisco metroplex is less than two thirds that of the Los Angeles metroplex. As stated above, I am not arguing that personal income is a complete measure of the regional economy in any sense but it is worth mentioning. Further, for those concerned about competition from higher cluster schools, LA/OC has only one elite cluster school while SF/SJ/OAK has one ultra elite and one elite cluster.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Has anyone found these additions helpful? I am thinking of adding more but want to make sure there is demand for it.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort

I would personally love to see this. I have moved this to the B-School Application forum so that this gets more attention.

You have been such a great help.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort - absolutely loving this. Please continue to post more! I'm in the situation of locating where exactly me and my spouse should reside/study in the next 2 years, so this thread is absolutely useful for us!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gowani wrote:
what does NEF mean?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe we could come up with what it means!

not even familiar?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2