Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 12:08 It is currently 08 May 2024, 12:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: 3 yr undergrad? [#permalink]
I also graduated early. No problems.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
The important thing to note is that you completed what is considered a 4 yr degree ... doesnt matter if you raced through it in 2.5 yrs. However, there are many places in the world where Bachelor's degrees are designed at 3 yr programs (India comes to mind) - those degrees are usually not considered sufficient

rhyme wrote:
Current Student
Send PM
thank you all very much for clarifying - I figured I should find out sooner than later if it was going to be a problem :roll:
thanks again!
ac.
PS I finished early because it was getting very $$ and I figured that was better than a loan....long story for another time, another day :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Can someone explain to me the sentiment against student loans that I've found in so many places.

Let say you have the cast for school $50,000 total for all 4 years (picking number for easier math ;-) ).

If you get federal loans for your education, the APR will be very low because they're federal loans. I think my federal loans for undergrad are at about 3.75%. My wife consolidated hers to like 3%.

So you have loans for all 4 years of school, and at the start of your college, you take that $50k and diversify it properly in the stock market (ETF on the DJIA or something). Historically, your return on this would be between 8 - 12%. So lets say 8% even. If you get a 5 or 6% student loan, you're still ahead 2% (less any accrued interest).

I can understand the private loans, etc, but I just don't understand some people's views that all debt is bad debt. There is certainly some bad debt, but there is also some very good debt too.
Current Student
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
Can someone explain to me the sentiment against student loans that I've found in so many places.

Let say you have the cast for school $50,000 total for all 4 years (picking number for easier math ;-) ).

If you get federal loans for your education, the APR will be very low because they're federal loans. I think my federal loans for undergrad are at about 3.75%. My wife consolidated hers to like 3%.

So you have loans for all 4 years of school, and at the start of your college, you take that $50k and diversify it properly in the stock market (ETF on the DJIA or something). Historically, your return on this would be between 8 - 12%. So lets say 8% even. If you get a 5 or 6% student loan, you're still ahead 2% (less any accrued interest).

I can understand the private loans, etc, but I just don't understand some people's views that all debt is bad debt. There is certainly some bad debt, but there is also some very good debt too.

Don't know about others but for me, I was nervous about the concept of taking on any loans at all. My first two years of college were covered by an academic scholarship, the third year the parents covered (<- lucky me!). I didn't quite understand how loans worked, how I'd pay them back, etc - I just saw many friends who had graduated but were having a hard time paying back the loans and make ends meet. So I figured it would be easier to finish early and avoid that tension altogether :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Debt isn't always bad. Just look at the WACC equation and benefits of debt there.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:

the last 10 years the dow has returned like 2.4%
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
The important thing to note is that you completed what is considered a 4 yr degree ... doesnt matter if you raced through it in 2.5 yrs. However, there are many places in the world where Bachelor's degrees are designed at 3 yr programs (India comes to mind) - those degrees are usually not considered sufficient

rhyme wrote:

Sorry but this is patently not true. Many commonwealth countries (including the UK) have degrees with take only 3 years, and if you look at the applications FAQ in all b-schools, it is usually acceptable. If you have a bachelors degree with honours, it doesn`t matter how long it took as long as you have it.

I graduated when I was 20.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
Sorry but this is patently not true. Many commonwealth countries (including the UK) have degrees with take only 3 years, and if you look at the applications FAQ in all b-schools, it is usually acceptable. If you have a bachelors degree with honours, it doesn`t matter how long it took as long as you have it.

Nope toga, not all of them accept 3 yr degrees, and people that have such degrees are advised to finish some 1 year program to be eleigable. So the treatment of 3yr degrees depends on the schools, but people who graduated early from a 4 year degree are fine.

For example here is what the University of Michigan - Ross says about it

Q: Is a 3 year undergraduate degree from India acceptable to apply?
A. No. These are not considered equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor's degree. If you have a 3 year degree, it must be accompanied by a Master's degree program/post-graduate diploma or a Chartered Accountancy. For non-U.S. Master's degrees, the degree must be greater than one year. For U.S. Master's degrees, a one-year Master's degree/post-graduate diploma is fine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Darden2010 wrote:
togafoot wrote:

Nope toga, not all of them accept 3 yr degrees, and people that have such degrees are advised to finish some 1 year program to be eleigable. So the treatment of 3yr degrees depends on the schools, but people who graduated early from a 4 year degree are fine.

A. No. These are not considered equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor's degree. If you have a 3 year degree, it must be accompanied by a Master's degree program/post-graduate diploma or a Chartered Accountancy. For non-U.S. Master's degrees, the degree must be greater than one year. For U.S. Master's degrees, a one-year Master's degree/post-graduate diploma is fine.

they also say this

In light of the European Bologna Accord, the Ross School of Business will also accept all three-year international degrees from Europe as meeting this requirement.

That exclusion is only for Indian 3-year undergrads. 3 year degrees are the norm in UK and Europe, I've never heard of anyone having to take an extra year anywhere to do an MBA. For Indian degrees, it may be different, but not for Europe and other developed countries.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted &amp; ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Interesting ... I am not sure why there is a distinction made?

But thanks for the clarification Toga.

togafoot wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:
togafoot wrote:

they also say this

In light of the European Bologna Accord, the Ross School of Business will also accept all three-year international degrees from Europe as meeting this requirement.

That exclusion is only for Indian 3-year undergrads. 3 year degrees are the norm in UK and Europe, I've never heard of anyone having to take an extra year anywhere to do an MBA. For Indian degrees, it may be different, but not for Europe and other developed countries.
GMAT Club Bot