Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:23 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: B-School "personalities" [#permalink]
Honestly all schools want to have similar personalities. They want leaders who are good teamplayers and are upstanding human beings.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Honestly all schools want to have similar personalities. They want leaders who are good teamplayers and are upstanding human beings.

I agree to a certain extent. An exception may be with Harvard. I don't know if I've ever heard "great team player" and Harvard student in the same sentence. Perhaps the same may apply for Wharton.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Hey ryguy, whatever happened with USC? Did you decide to attend? Are you still employed? If you posted an update somewhere, I missed it. I hope your situation has improved or at least not gotten worse.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think that you will find students from every walk at every school. The idea of "personalities" can give a school an undeserved rep. I know when I visited Chicago, I felt the student body to be exceedingly normal, not geeky as mentioned above.

Saying there are no team players at Harvard sounds a little questionable. Perhaps the students are ultra-driven, but with a cohort system, I would think that teamwork would be pretty common place.

~Sam
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

I agree to a certain extent. An exception may be with Harvard. I don't know if I've ever heard "great team player" and Harvard student in the same sentence. Perhaps the same may apply for Wharton.

They would at least tell you thats what they want. Seriously go to school presentations and its like they all want the exact same things. Its just a matter of what schools actually bring in and the type that actually apply. I think that the stereotypes of schools actually is a pretty self fulfilling prophecy. People big on being in a collaborative environment will probably end up wanting a school like Kellogg, while someone wanting a very challenging academic program probably will want a school like GSB. Also some schools negative stereotypes also tend to be self fulfilling, thats why a geeky engineer will probably apply to MIT and a power hungry arrogant person will aspire to HBS.

The office space comparison that is floating around is a fairly accurate of the stereotypes. https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=2&nav=messages&webtag=bw-bschools&tid=72873
Current Student
Send PM
sudden wrote:
Hey ryguy, whatever happened with USC? Did you decide to attend? Are you still employed? If you posted an update somewhere, I missed it. I hope your situation has improved or at least not gotten worse.

Hey Sudden,

Thanks for checking in. :) I've decided to pass on USC. It's just not the right fit for me. I was also sooo close to acceptances at great schools (waitlisted at UCLA, NYU, CBS). I REALLY REALLY do not want to go through the reapp process, but I think it will be worth the pain. As far as my job situation, I honestly think I could be toast VERY soon. It's not the ideal situation and it certainly adds some pressure to the reapp. I'm doing the best I can to secure something (read: anything) so that I have continuity on my resume). There is a lot of organizational disorder, so it's hard to tell if I'm setting a foot on solid ground or quicksand. I'll definitely provide some more background on my work situation, but just can't reveal a heck of a lot at this moment. That being said, I don't want to settle for USC just because of the job situation. Rhyme really struck a chord when he asked if I would be left wondering, "what if?" That's something that I think I would ask myself daily at USC and something that I would have trouble living with. I currently have five schools lined up for Rd 1, including ED with Columbia. As long as I'm still at my current employer when I click "submit application," I'll be happy with that. I plan to stick around the g-club as much as possible to try and catch some of the good vibes from our great Ambassadors and last year's pool of successful applicants. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
ryguy
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
They would at least tell you thats what they want. Seriously go to school presentations and its like they all want the exact same things. Its just a matter of what schools actually bring in and the type that actually apply. I think that the stereotypes of schools actually is a pretty self fulfilling prophecy. People big on being in a collaborative environment will probably end up wanting a school like Kellogg, while someone wanting a very challenging academic program probably will want a school like GSB. Also some schools negative stereotypes also tend to be self fulfilling, thats why a geeky engineer will probably apply to MIT and a power hungry arrogant person will aspire to HBS.

Now this I concur with :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Awesome. Good luck with the reapp process -- I am sure you will have better luck this time. Are you planning to retake the GMAT?

I agree with your decision. I think USC is a fine school, but ultimately I think you would be selling yourself short to "settle" for USC with your profile.

On an unrelated note, are you in So Cal? I think I remember reading that. Do you know anything about the Newport Beach area? I am on the shortlist for a job there but I don't know much about the area.

ryguy904 wrote:
sudden wrote:

Hey Sudden,

Thanks for checking in. :) I've decided to pass on USC. It's just not the right fit for me. I was also sooo close to acceptances at great schools (waitlisted at UCLA, NYU, CBS). I REALLY REALLY do not want to go through the reapp process, but I think it will be worth the pain. As far as my job situation, I honestly think I could be toast VERY soon. It's not the ideal situation and it certainly adds some pressure to the reapp. I'm doing the best I can to secure something (read: anything) so that I have continuity on my resume). There is a lot of organizational disorder, so it's hard to tell if I'm setting a foot on solid ground or quicksand. I'll definitely provide some more background on my work situation, but just can't reveal a heck of a lot at this moment. That being said, I don't want to settle for USC just because of the job situation. Rhyme really struck a chord when he asked if I would be left wondering, "what if?" That's something that I think I would ask myself daily at USC and something that I would have trouble living with. I currently have five schools lined up for Rd 1, including ED with Columbia. As long as I'm still at my current employer when I click "submit application," I'll be happy with that. I plan to stick around the g-club as much as possible to try and catch some of the good vibes from our great Ambassadors and last year's pool of successful applicants. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
ryguy
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
sudden wrote:
Awesome. Good luck with the reapp process -- I am sure you will have better luck this time. Are you planning to retake the GMAT?

I agree with your decision. I think USC is a fine school, but ultimately I think you would be selling yourself short to "settle" for USC with your profile.

On an unrelated note, are you in So Cal? I think I remember reading that. Do you know anything about the Newport Beach area? I am on the shortlist for a job there but I don't know much about the area.

Newport Beach is amazing. It's a very wealthy and safe, oceanfront enclave in Orange County. I'm not sure how active it is for young people - but there seems to be a decent scene around Balboa Island. The weather there is perfect year round due to the ocean breezes, it never gets too hot like some parts of LA.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
sudden wrote:

Hey Sudden,

Thanks for checking in. :) I've decided to pass on USC.

Cheers,
ryguy

I think you made the right choice. Although, that makes the competition even fiercer this year.
Current Student
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
sudden wrote:

Hey Sudden,

Thanks for checking in. :) I've decided to pass on USC.

Cheers,
ryguy

I think you made the right choice. Although, that makes the competition even fiercer this year.

LOL - Thanks for the support. It's definitely a stressful situation because of the factors that I mentioned. I suppose I can keep applying for another 2-3 years and still not be in your demographic range, though. ;)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

LOL - Thanks for the support. It's definitely a stressful situation because of the factors that I mentioned. I suppose I can keep applying for another 2-3 years and still not be in your demographic range, though. ;)[/quote]

Ouch, I just felt that gust of cold air. haha
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot