Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 19:49 It is currently 06 May 2024, 19:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM [#permalink]
If I don't answer your question with enough detail, please let me know. I have a tendency to be concise and to the point.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
If I don't answer your question with enough detail, please let me know. I have a tendency to be concise and to the point.

lanter1,

When does orientation/classes begin for you?

I'm very much interested in a campus visit.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
lanter1 wrote:

lanter1,

When does orientation/classes begin for you?

I'm very much interested in a campus visit.

Kidderek,

Orientation starts on August 14th. Orientation will be sporadic and may not be a "great" time. I am relocating to New Haven on August 1 and will be settled in by August 9 (taking mini-vacation). Class starts August 25th. My suggestion would be to come on a Thursday for classes and we have Friday off from class and I could spend quality time that day with those visiting. If anything changes, I will keep you posted.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Please stay at the link below. There are many "bad" parts of New Haven...i know from trying to find a less expensive hote. The Marriott is the best and most convenient for the price.

https://www.marriott.com/reservation/availability.mi?isSearch=true&propertyCode=HVNDT
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Just a question about the "bad" areas. How bad are they really? I mean, would somebody from a large major city (Chicago, NYC, L.A., Philly etc) feel unsafe, or at the very least feel like it was a bad idea to walk these areas after dark? I visited Yale and while we were trying to figure our way around we drove the surrounding area (albeit a fairly small radius), and didn't see anything that would particularly strike me as a bad (I'm from L.A.). I'm not saying that these areas aren't to be avoided, but I was hoping that maybe the stories were blown out of proportion (wishful thinking?).

One other question, I think I saw someone (maybe it was lanter) in another post (I read a lot of Yale threads) say that Mansfield was the party street? Does that mean loud music every night and broken glass on the sidewalk (I know, it's Yale, not too likely), or does it mean little house parties on fri/sat?
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I just added class of 2010 stats
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Just a question about the "bad" areas. How bad are they really? I mean, would somebody from a large major city (Chicago, NYC, L.A., Philly etc) feel unsafe, or at the very least feel like it was a bad idea to walk these areas after dark? I visited Yale and while we were trying to figure our way around we drove the surrounding area (albeit a fairly small radius), and didn't see anything that would particularly strike me as a bad (I'm from L.A.). I'm not saying that these areas aren't to be avoided, but I was hoping that maybe the stories were blown out of proportion (wishful thinking?).

One other question, I think I saw someone (maybe it was lanter) in another post (I read a lot of Yale threads) say that Mansfield was the party street? Does that mean loud music every night and broken glass on the sidewalk (I know, it's Yale, not too likely), or does it mean little house parties on fri/sat?

Well, to address the "party street" it is the street where many grad students live and grad students party. I would say it's thursday, friday, and sat night since som does not have class on friday. No, it is not a state school fraternity row.

It is bad outside the campus area but not any worse than other large cities. I just wanted you guys to know for reference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Mate,

Hey how is Yale perceived for Finance in general. I am interested in joining private equity post MBA. i discussed it with few faculties. general impression i get, it is good for economics but not finance. Any idea which are other good Bschools for finance especially PE. Is it so that its very tough to get into Pvt equity straightaway afetr MBA?

lanter1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am married so the work/life balance is very important. I would definitely work on the buy side. At the point it looks like S & T or research at an i bank or whatever i can get at a ct hedge fund. I will make the tradeoff to work more hours outside NYC for a job at a ct hedge fund.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
deepakg wrote:
Hi Mate,

Hey how is Yale perceived for Finance in general. I am interested in joining private equity post MBA. i discussed it with few faculties. general impression i get, it is good for economics but not finance. Any idea which are other good Bschools for finance especially PE. Is it so that its very tough to get into Pvt equity straightaway afetr MBA?

lanter1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am married so the work/life balance is very important. I would definitely work on the buy side. At the point it looks like S & T or research at an i bank or whatever i can get at a ct hedge fund. I will make the tradeoff to work more hours outside NYC for a job at a ct hedge fund.

The only meaningful on-campus private equity recruiting occurs at Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton. At schools like Yale, Chicago, Columbia, etc. you will have to network the find the positions yourself. Generally, this requires pre-MBA experience in either investment banking or private equity.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Then what about Duke . i heard these gys are making huge inroads in PE field....
terp06 wrote:
deepakg wrote:
Hi Mate,

The only meaningful on-campus private equity recruiting occurs at Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton. At schools like Yale, Chicago, Columbia, etc. you will have to network the find the positions yourself. Generally, this requires pre-MBA experience in either investment banking or private equity.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
deepakg wrote:
Hi Mate,

lanter1 wrote:

Yale hosts a private equity conference each year. This is a great way to meet PE managers and possibly secure a position. PE is tough regardless of the school but not impossible at yale.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello

Could you help me assess my chances at Yale

GMAT score - 650
Qualified chartered accountant
Work Experience - Seven Years (all at non profit - microfinance, health care and disaster response)
International experience - Over three years and still counting!
I have read and heard that Yale is good for Non profit. I looked at the placement profile . Not many students seem to go to Non profit from Yale. So is it the curriculum that has a non profit component? I wish to move into corporate social responsibility
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Nonprofit is a large part of the student body. We have students who enter from a nonprofit background and move to the private sector and we also have students who have worked in the private sector who move to nonprofit. They have not released the class of 2008 career stats, but nonprofit will be higher. Part of this stems from the loan forgiveness program.

Check out loan forgiveness:

https://mba.yale.edu/MBA/admissions/financial_aid/loan_forgiveness.shtml

The only thing you may want to do is bring up the GMAT score if possible. How did you do on the quant section?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
Nonprofit is a large part of the student body. We have students who enter from a nonprofit background and move to the private sector and we also have students who have worked in the private sector who move to nonprofit. They have not released the class of 2008 career stats, but nonprofit will be higher. Part of this stems from the loan forgiveness program.

Check out loan forgiveness:

https://mba.yale.edu/MBA/admissions/financial_aid/loan_forgiveness.shtml

The only thing you may want to do is bring up the GMAT score if possible. How did you do on the quant section?

Hello

My score was 45 Q(75 Percentile) and 34 V (69 percentile).
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I would definitely re-take and try to improve both scores. Look at % of each section under stats post.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Lanter,

Just want to know what is the general impression about Yale.How is yale considered for finance(I Banking or PE). general impression is its good for non profit or Economics. Contrary to general impression statistics reveal more than 50% of class goes to finance.
Also, class profile is very small...How do general students there take it. On one hand it advantages you with a small class size, more cooperative people, you can know less no of people better but on other hand it leaves you with a small size of alumni to tap into.
Am confused whether to look for school with small class size or a bigger class size. Would be great if you could express your opinion. In hindsight do you regret going to Yale or think better if had gone to some other school?

Cheers
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
deepakg wrote:
Hi Lanter,

Just want to know what is the general impression about Yale.How is yale considered for finance(I Banking or PE). general impression is its good for non profit or Economics. Contrary to general impression statistics reveal more than 50% of class goes to finance.
Also, class profile is very small...How do general students there take it. On one hand it advantages you with a small class size, more cooperative people, you can know less no of people better but on other hand it leaves you with a small size of alumni to tap into.
Am confused whether to look for school with small class size or a bigger class size. Would be great if you could express your opinion. In hindsight do you regret going to Yale or think better if had gone to some other school?

Cheers

Yale is great because of the people so far. As far as class, they are loading us up with 6 classes and two seminar style courses through mid-October and then it slows down a little bit.

There is a large banking presence on campus. Just this week we had Bill Donaldson (founder DLJ and SOM) speaking on campus along with presentations from Citi, Merrill Lynch, Diversified Financial companies, and Exxon finance. As far as PE, there are a few firms that come to campus but not like IB. PE and VC are jobs you will have to work on yourself and network with Yale alumni. There are many alumni at PE and VC firms.

We love the class size. As far as networking, SOM works with former Law grads in business positions and they bring in a lot of undergrads who have an affinity for the university as a whole. This really extends our smallish SOM network.

I do not regret going to Yale as it is the right school for me. You have to find the right school for across all factors. I decided between Duke, Virginia, and Yale. After considering all factors, including a small class size, Yale was right for me.

One benefit Yale has compared to some schools is the proximity to NYC. I can take a 1.5 hour train ride to NYC on a Friday for Informational Interviews and to meet with alumni. In addition, you can stay at the Yale Club which makes NYC affordable with student rates.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4