Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink]
Audio wrote:
Gil wrote:
terp26 wrote:
So you are Israeli Gil? Do a lot of Israelis apply to b-school? My mother is, so that makes me by default! I was there on Birthright 2 months ago

Yes I am - and so are you! Did you have a good time? I think there are 24 Israelis in the 2010 Wharton class - I hope it repeats this year - and that we're both there:).

there are indeed loads of Israelis this year at Wharton - probably more than Europeans! I don't know if it's usual or not, but it's certainly impressive (although one could claim that on a distribution point of view it doesn't make sense).

I think that it was an unusual year, though I know chicago also has quite a few in the 2010 class (I think around fifteen).

I actually asked the Wharton Rep in a recent speaking arrangement they held in Israel about this. She said that contrary to popular belief, they do not group applicants in pools based on where they come from, and that they simply happened to have tremendous applications from Israelis last year and couldn't turn them down.

Her basic message was - Wharton will never dismiss someone who is a strong applicant because they already have people from his country. I guess diversity is not just where you come from.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Wharton emailed me today that my scanned transcripts didn't go through properly and wanted me to rescan and email them to her. She said that I would go complete as soon as those went through, so probably tomorrow morning.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Gil wrote:

I think that it was an unusual year, though I know chicago also has quite a few in the 2010 class (I think around fifteen).

I actually asked the Wharton Rep in a recent speaking arrangement they held in Israel about this. She said that contrary to popular belief, they do not group applicants in pools based on where they come from, and that they simply happened to have tremendous applications from Israelis last year and couldn't turn them down.

Her basic message was - Wharton will never dismiss someone who is a strong applicant because they already have people from his country. I guess diversity is not just where you come from.

Sounds like a very valid explanation indeed.

Speaking of volume, it's a pity that we don't have more Europeans coming over in the States. Although I do understand their concerns about finding a job back in Europe, they are not justified IMO. Plus a program like Insead's is simply too short for me (and London is way too expensive)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Well, it looks like the theory that invites would be sent out yesterday was only a rumor. I didn't see any invites on the three Wharton threads I frequent. Here's to the hope we get some news today.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
very true. If they did send out some invites, as others suggested, the volume must have been extremely small not to appear on any forum.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
The fact that they were checking up with me about a particular missing piece of my application during review, implied to me that they had not yet begun sending out interview resquests but would soon. They also mentioned to me that I needed the scanned transcripts in by Oct. 30th. Could that be the magic day when review ends and interview invites go out?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Leverandon wrote:
The fact that they were checking up with me about a particular missing piece of my application during review, implied to me that they had not yet begun sending out interview resquests but would soon. They also mentioned to me that I needed the scanned transcripts in by Oct. 30th. Could that be the magic day when review ends and interview invites go out?

How does missing information from your application imply they haven't sent out interview requests to other applicants? Couldn't it be possible that they followed-up with you to complete your application while sending interview invites to applicants whose files were already complete? If anything, I would say the lack of any interview invite activity on three busy forums implies they have not yet sent anything out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
any invites today??

I will find out more info from my friend when I meet him this weekend
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
Leverandon wrote:

How does missing information from your application imply they haven't sent out interview requests to other applicants? Couldn't it be possible that they followed-up with you to complete your application while sending interview invites to applicants whose files were already complete? If anything, I would say the lack of any interview invite activity on three busy forums implies they have not yet sent anything out.

My assumption (which might be completely incorrect) is that they go through a reading period where they open each application and go through them and decide who they want to send interview invites to. They gave me until Oct. 30 to re-scan and re-send, an implication that perhaps Oct. 30 is the end of their reading phase. At that point they send out interview invites to people who they want to interview. This could be completely incorrect, maybe they send out invites as they go, but it would make more sense to me that they would read all R1 applications before interview invites go out so that they are sure that they are interviewing the most promising X number of candidates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
No point in guessing. I read somewhere that last year invitations were only sent out about a week after the date originally mentioned in their e-mail. Nothing we caan do but be patient...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
I dont think any admissions system which does not have a rolling system can send out invites of any kind before they have gone through most of the apps. This might be holding up the bulk of invites from wharton.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Leverandon wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:
Leverandon wrote:

My assumption (which might be completely incorrect) is that they go through a reading period where they open each application and go through them and decide who they want to send interview invites to. They gave me until Oct. 30 to re-scan and re-send, an implication that perhaps Oct. 30 is the end of their reading phase. At that point they send out interview invites to people who they want to interview. This could be completely incorrect, maybe they send out invites as they go, but it would make more sense to me that they would read all R1 applications before interview invites go out so that they are sure that they are interviewing the most promising X number of candidates.

I think they documented the process. It is pretty transparent.

A student adcom reads app. Makes decision to interview or not.
Adcom reads app independently and makes a decision to interview or not.

If they disagree, it goes to a third adcom member for final vote.

Therefore it would be on a rolling basis.

However you are right, each reader may read a bunch of apps before they make a decision to gauge app pool
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Yeah, I'm really just grasping at straws like everyone else. But I have a feeling we might hear stuff on Oct. 30th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Any invites today?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
wooster123 wrote:
Any invites today?

Not for me. (At least from Wharton :-D )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Nothing for me either...although I finally got the self-reported transcript thing resolved with the admissions office.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
nothing here either...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  67   
Moderators: