Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink]
It's probably a financial negative for me to get my MBA. I want one to expand my options for my career and for the experience itself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
1) Not be bored in my job every single day. Not that I was expecting glamour and excitement in accounting but still... a challenge every once in a while would be nice. I'm operating so far below my potential and it's aggravating to be told that there's nothing else to be done when I'm begging for more challenging assignments.

2) Not have to work for someone who I shouldn't be subordinate to... man do I hate my current boss with a passion.

3) Make a decent living, nothing ridiculous but enough to be more comfortable than I currently am...

4) Get a different experience than what I had in undergrad... I really settled in my undergrad school choice and need to make up for it now and really push myself academically like I haven't since high school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
1. Satisfaction/Enjoyment from the work I do.

Same here. The possible money is a bonus, but to truly enjoy my job is paramount.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
i just wanna Quit my job and figure something out over the next 2 years
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
1. Satisfaction/Enjoyment from the work I do.

Same here. The possible money is a bonus, but to truly enjoy my job is paramount.

Same here.

RF
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
1. The education - the ability to gain the knowledge to effectively change industries and be good at my role in that new industry. Gain the fundamentals I didn't acquire during my undergrad, and have the credibility that an MBA does have.
2. Enjoy what I do - which is why I want to change industries. ;)
3. Money. If you enjoy what you do, you'll be good at it, and you'll provide well for your family. I'm not going to lie, I want my kids to be better off than I was - we all do I'm sure, that's natural.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
1.Move up the management chain.

2.Money.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
Ugh...all this introspection. It hurts! First the apps, now this.

1. Open up opportunities in my industry that might not be available without an MBA.
2. Continue my education. I'm a nerd, sorry. I like to learn. There's a lot about my industry (and others) that I don't know and won't learn on the job. Learning it in the classroom will make me that much stronger of a leader in the future.
3. Expand my network. My parents always told me, "it's not what you know, it's who you know." It certainly can't hurt to connect with smart, innovative, driven professors and students.
4. Maybe a little extra $$ along the way won't hurt either.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
Well... some of you really sound sincere and some of you sound like u r just redoing ur application essay :)

Money itself is just a magic spell which can make things easier..

However, I would like to align with Freud and make a point that I am doing an MBA to afford a greater variety of girls :) and this is not a joke

really

its not

I also think that having a job u like is a very important but that is not achievable even with an MBA in my humble opinion.

I wanna make enough money so i can retire in 10-15 years, buy a decent arc and become a fisherman :)

Now... i cant put this in my application right

:)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
what cereal255 said. +1 to him!

cereal255 wrote:
1) Not be bored in my job every single day. Not that I was expecting glamour and excitement in accounting but still... a challenge every once in a while would be nice. I'm operating so far below my potential and it's aggravating to be told that there's nothing else to be done when I'm begging for more challenging assignments.

2) Not have to work for someone who I shouldn't be subordinate to... man do I hate my current boss with a passion.

3) Make a decent living, nothing ridiculous but enough to be more comfortable than I currently am...

4) Get a different experience than what I had in undergrad... I really settled in my undergrad school choice and need to make up for it now and really push myself academically like I haven't since high school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Kudos
i want an MBA so I can go to some third world country and become its dictator..

and as spiridon said..girls are an added HUGE plus..
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
hah well I'm not going for men since I'm married, or for getting up the management chain because I know I can do that without an MBA. What else is left, wanting to be in debt? ;)

spiridon wrote:
Well... some of you really sound sincere and some of you sound like u r just redoing ur application essay :)

However, I would like to align with Freud and make a point that I am doing an MBA to afford a greater variety of girls :) and this is not a joke

really

its not

I also think that having a job u like is a very important but that is not achievable even with an MBA in my humble opinion.

I wanna make enough money so i can retire in 10-15 years, buy a decent arc and become a fisherman :)

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Kudos
I would say "spiridon" puts it across quite clearly for everyone... look if it isn't for the money you wouldn't be doing the investment-return calculations and all, while factoring in the opportunity costs of the forgone pay. So its definitely about the money but the real question (as the guy who posted the original question pointed out) what 'end' is that money the 'means' to. So, there lets be honest Freud takes the huge chunk for all of us...But my guess is there is one more thing, the MBA gives u this opportunity to move upwards in the food-chain... grab power over the society via corporations. I agree not all or even many MBA graduates manage this but lets be honest, we all who might just get that dream school MBA have this chance. That said when u r at the top of the wealth curve, it bends back (wealth-lesiure curve) and there u satisfy urself with the power hold and the ability u have in changing the society... i wont delve much back in the history...just look more closely at someone like Hank Paulson... i wudn't agree with the guys policies and all but thats besides the point... you and I both know we would love to peak our career at a job like that! THATS why u really want the MBA!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
spiridon wrote:

really

its not

I personally just want to be in the financial sector to feel plugged in, learn how the sector works, then branch out and run my own company. Nothing like working for yourself. The MBA comes as the quickest bridge in getting to my end point. That is it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
to find a job I'm passionate about and not dread work every Monday morning... :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
spiridon wrote:

I saw this video today and instantly ordered the book on Amazon.

After watching the video, I knew that I needed to share it with GMATClub. After reading this discussion, I knew that I needed to put it in this thread. After reading your post, I knew that I needed to quote you.

Everyone should watch this video!
The Good Life Parable: An MBA meets a Fisherman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7JlI959 ... r_embedded
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Find happiness, which means do something I'm passionate about, which means help to make the world a better place.

I hope the adcom believes me since I actually mean it. You guys need to quit using my line ;-)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2