Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 17:17 It is currently 05 May 2024, 17:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Re: Does high GMAT Score help with scholarship? [#permalink]
Read this in BW:
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... getting+in

Looks like some "school's admissions committee might be inclined to give an above-average student a full-ride scholarship because it will help the school improve their overall student body profile."

Looking at last year's profile, it does look like those are above average stats.

Man, I knew I should have retook my GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most schools that I've researched award scholarships based strictly on academic merit...any school that notifies you of the scholarship along with the admissions decision is probably the same. I do feel that, along with a strong profile, a high GMAT can help for scholarships. But I'm not in admissions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
M7 schools usually have two tiers of scholarships. Name ones which go out purely on merit or merit/need or even need based on the donor's (aka the name) requirements. These are typically large amounts, half to full scholarships. Then schools give out need/merit based in smaller amounts. At some schools there seem to be a LOT of them, I know almost all of us on here who are at Kellogg got something (5-15K). Its not a 100% bet you get it second year though, say you win the powerball you wont qualify but most of the time you continue to get it.

Obviously you still need to qualify since there are people I know who got nothing and definitely need it. So thats the merit part. I believe HBS is purely need based.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
liubhs02 wrote:
Read this in BW:
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... getting+in

Looks like some "school's admissions committee might be inclined to give an above-average student a full-ride scholarship because it will help the school improve their overall student body profile."

Looking at last year's profile, it does look like those are above average stats.

Man, I knew I should have retook my GMAT.

But as the article notes, those are only mid-range schools (definitely not M7s, and most likely out of the top 25) who will do that. When a school's average GMAT is say 580, a couple 750 scores will make a very big difference in it rising, especially if the class size is small. Not so much when its 700+.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Do you happen to know that cash value of any of the fellowships below? I got a 25K named, renewable fellowship last year at Chicago (Booth) - I have no idea if this is normal, good, or what...just curious...I definitely wasn't complaining.

foodstamp wrote:
I have actually been wondering this as well. Here is some quick info from last year's admit/ding thread.

GMAT/UNDERGRAD GPA - schools awarded scholarship
760/3.9 - haas, ucla, kellogg
760/2.9 - emory
710/3.65 - kellogg, duke
720/3.9 - kellogg, ross, duke, unc, booth
730/international - ross
770/3.9 - kellogg
700/2.7 - kelley, cornell
710/3.3 - ross
740/3.6 - tepper, duke
720/international - cornell
770/ 3.6 - ross
730/?? - duke
710/3.0 - tepper, uw foster, boston univ
730/international - cornell
770/2.9 - boston college, unc
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
I read somewhere in the forum that a student with 640 score got a full scholarship at Booth or Kellogg - not sure, even though the GMAT score is way too less as compared to the 700+, his profile was unique (I dont have the details). I think it even depends on the way you present yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
I'd like to revitalize this topic (the last message is 2-year old) to get a fresher view on the topic.

The question is: does it worth (scholarship-wise) to spend 4-6 weeks trying to get even higher score or one better spend that time polishing one's essays?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I am in the exact dilemma .. I have a 730 but low verbal (but I did not study much only 1-2 practive tests) so now I trying to justify myself to study a month or so and get 750+. since its still early to start the essays I think It may make sense to spend some time studying the GMAT.
I have already taken it 3 times. Do you think taking it a 4th would have a very bad impact.. ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I'm not sure if a high GMAT score is a must to score a scholarship. I have a 730 (50Q, 38V split), am from a over-represented group (Indian/M/Engineer) but I still got some love from Darden. It certainly wasn't need-based but I'd think my community involvement was more of a factor.

If you've taken GMAT thrice to get a 730, I wouldn't take it again. Some schools even average your score if you had >2 attempts (UCLA or NYU or some other school? Not sure). My score is actually on the lower side for my demographic at a top school so not sure if it really helped. Again, I'm not admissions and I'm only one data point for you.

Good luck!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot