Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72917 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72917 [8]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 600 to 700 in 3 weeks - Strategy/Tips please [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I think the only way to get 100 point improvement or close to that (all in verbal) is to spend 6 hours a day studying for GMAT. So, will be pretty tough. If you can - do reschedule. If not, here is what I can think may work:

1. Improve math a bit to get 48 - this will give you about 10 points and may be fairly easy since your math is pretty good already. May have the best ROI of your time.
2. The other 80 will need to come from verbal - focus on what you can accomplish the most as 3 weeks is not enough to cover everything In detail:
A. Pick SC, RC, or CR as your best area and improve the one that has the best ROI. Hopefully this will give you 30 points.
B. When your brain is dead after a day of studying - READ fiction books such as GMAT Fiction - this will take a while to kick in and notice the effect, but it will be powerful enough if you read 5-10 books on that list. I would estimate 20 points here across the SC and RC
C. Make sure you work on the other two areas that you did not cover in A. You cannot neglect them since GMAT is adaptive and you never know which questions will be in the first 10-15 batch. Let's say 20 points here.
D. Start taking full length tests the week before every day - this will build up your stamina and test taking abilities - 20 points.

Total: 100 points (20 math and 80 verbal)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Msingh,

Maybe you already got 700 in your pocket. The only way to determine that is to take GMATprep. After that you will now "where you are" and you could figure out some short term strategies to improve what can be improved.

Since you already have Q44 in MGMAT, it could be possible that you'll score higher in GMATprep and the real test. MGMAT math is ridiculously hard and it could be that you'll be more comfortable with math in real test. However, nothing can be concluded from your V30 in MGMAT - your score could be all over the board, MGMAT is not representative of real Verbal test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I agree with Pathfinder....
Give some free CATs over the net and then take an attempt on GMATPrep. If the score comes out to be 680 +- 20, then you can focus on your weak areas and take a shot.

My suggestion would be, don't just go there coz you have to go.... equip yourself first then crack the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Wow... bb's study plan is intense. Good luck...
I've realized an effective short-term solution to improve your verbal score is to ALWAYS FOCUS ON THE CONCLUSION. When you're reading the passages, it's easy to paraphrase what the author is arguing, but often times people will miss the subtleties of the argument. If you're not the type of person who reads everything closing, just make sure to closely read the conclusion. Often times just identifying and analyzing the conclusion will be good enough for CR questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Sorry i know this is going to be a stupid question but when I did a practice test I got two scores, a raw score and a scale score. When comparing to your posts of Q and V scores im assuming thats the scaled score. Please advise.

THANK YOU <3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
bb wrote:
I think the only way to get 100 point improvement or close to that (all in verbal) is to spend 6 hours a day studying for GMAT. So, will be pretty tough. If you can - do reschedule. If not, here is what I can think may work:

1. Improve math a bit to get 48 - this will give you about 10 points and may be fairly easy since your math is pretty good already. May have the best ROI of your time.
2. The other 80 will need to come from verbal - focus on what you can accomplish the most as 3 weeks is not enough to cover everything In detail:
A. Pick SC, RC, or CR as your best area and improve the one that has the best ROI. Hopefully this will give you 30 points.
B. When your brain is dead after a day of studying - READ fiction books such as GMAT Fiction - this will take a while to kick in and notice the effect, but it will be powerful enough if you read 5-10 books on that list. I would estimate 20 points here across the SC and RC
C. Make sure you work on the other two areas that you did not cover in A. You cannot neglect them since GMAT is adaptive and you never know which questions will be in the first 10-15 batch. Let's say 20 points here.
D. Start taking full length tests the week before every day - this will build up your stamina and test taking abilities - 20 points.

Total: 100 points (20 math and 80 verbal)

Thank you for your tips. I'm standing at the point which is really the same with this guy. I'm digging verbal practice up every day to boost my score from 30 to at least 38 :good :good :good
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts