Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:26 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V46
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Frustration with Peterson GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes, it is a terrible book and/or tests.

the main reason is that Peterson does not have its own Tutoring arm and only publishes books, thus its ability to develop new techniques or invest a ton of $$ into "R&D" or improvement of questions is much more limited than than that of Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Manhattan GMAT.

I would also second that you don't need to pay attention to the practice GMAT scores except to GMATprep. Kaplan, for example, has a 50-100 point difference... does not mean anything except that their scoring is off :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Thank you, optiquezt for sharing your experience.

I added your review to all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html.
Hope you don't mind. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Same experience.

I recently wrote their tests and found that the questions and explanations are pretty ambiguous. Moreover, the questions do not seem representative of the real GMAT.

Answering real tough questions is one thing, but figuring out stupid questions and unconvincing explanations is totally frustrating !

I would dissuade anyone who plans to use them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I agree. The test is pathetic. I did that as it was available from my local library and thought will be good to know where I stand. What a waste
How did you get the score. I see only %next to math and verbal section. How to convert that to GMAT 800 scaled score. Eager to know where I stand, even on a pathetic test like this
optiquezt wrote:
My in-test experience with the Peterson CAT was pretty bad. The questions were often too obvious or downright difficult to figure out. I was already pretty upset until I got my score. 650. What the heck?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Optiquezt, you deserve major kudos simply for your outstanding use of the word "craptitude." :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
i wanted to chime in with my brief experience with peterson’s master the gmat. I was reviewing a few topics at my local library and I noticed a collection of gmat prep books on the shelf. Most of them are dated 2008-2011 but peterson’s prep book caught my eye since it was the only prep book dated 2013. I grabbed the book and solved a few sc questions. I thought the questions were really difficult and i got 1/5 correct.

The result pretty much shattered my confidence and after attempting the questions again, I couldn’t confidently point out why my answer was wrong. So, I gave up and looked at the answer explanation and the explanation is like 1-2 sentences wrong. The book does not explain what is wrong in each answer choice, but explain in 1-2 sentence(s) that using the word “because” rather than “due to” is incorrect and therefore, B is the correct answer. Pretty much no help at all.

I also glanced over the quant section and the questions looked pretty difficult so I did not bother to solve them. I was curious on how well the book was rated and I think magoosh gave the book a D-. I will stick with my og and mgmt cat exams for practice questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
It's unfortunate to have experienced it, but I'm glad to see that I am not the only one extremely frustrated by the Peterson's Master The GMAT questions. I have tried to prepare for the GMAT exam on multiple occassions and gave up just because I could not crack the questions/explanations in the Peterson's book. I never realized that I was always using Peterson's. By chance, I recently read through the Princeton prep book and, both the study material and practice questions, made so much sense. I'm now using the GMAT software itself to study.

The explanations in the Peterson's book don't make any sense. The explanations more often support my answer, which they are trying to explain is wrong! I just wish I had realized there are other authors I've never looked into for the GMAT prep!!
GMAT Club Bot