Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 07:52 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 07:52
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q39  V38 GMAT 2: 660  Q44  V38
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73493 [0]
Given Kudos: 19065
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Please help, got a 640 and need to improve. [#permalink]
people, I took my GMAT yesterday and got a meager 640 (50q,26v). I got 730 and 750 in the two Gmatprep tests and more than 750 in all the 800score tests. I dont know what went wrong with the actual verbal, but at the same time I feel that the actual questions were far tougher than anything I came across during my prep. I have solved more than 1200 SC questions from various sources (OG-12, OG-10, 1000sc, Kaplan et all) and almost the similar number in CR and around 200 in RC. Is it that the kind of verbal questions in the actual GMAT has increased substantially in toughness? Can anybody help me with this as I want to retake the test in about a month's time and I want to pull up my verbal score into the 40s
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Wow, that seems nothing but bad luck. I guess you should focus on what you think went wrong. Did you get enough sleep, was it a good place to take the test, were you stressed etc. Take some time and give another test from a reputed prep company just to make sure you still are in 700+ range and then give it another try. Good luck with your 2nd try and keep us posted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
no i did not get enough sleep but that has always been the case...i guess i have learnt to live with it...but i took some redbull(caffeine) before my verbal..and felt a bit nervous after that...probably that had some negative effect...but still i dont know where to find questions of such difficulty as what i found on the actual gmat...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
agourav wrote:
no i did not get enough sleep but that has always been the case...i guess i have learnt to live with it...but i took some redbull(caffeine) before my verbal..and felt a bit nervous after that...probably that had some negative effect...but still i dont know where to find questions of such difficulty as what i found on the actual gmat...

Its only GMATPrep tests where you will find questions of similar difficulty level. Reset your tests and attempt it again. It has a huge database of questions, and believe me even after reset you would find most of the questions unseen. You can attempt each test 3-4 time. So assuming you attempt both the tests 3 times, you end up having 6 tests in hand.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
agourav wrote:
people, I took my GMAT yesterday and got a meager 640 (50q,26v). I got 730 and 750 in the two Gmatprep tests and more than 750 in all the 800score tests. I dont know what went wrong with the actual verbal, but at the same time I feel that the actual questions were far tougher than anything I came across during my prep. I have solved more than 1200 SC questions from various sources (OG-12, OG-10, 1000sc, Kaplan et all) and almost the similar number in CR and around 200 in RC. Is it that the kind of verbal questions in the actual GMAT has increased substantially in toughness? Can anybody help me with this as I want to retake the test in about a month's time and I want to pull up my verbal score into the 40s

I'd suggest MGMAT SC book it gives some good tips. Also, if you have time, then no harm in going over the first 10 or so chapters of "Doing Grammar". It really improved my understanding of English Grammar and I was able to relate concepts to what they discussed in MGMAT SC.
I also like their strategy for doing RC - it seems to work quite well for me.
agourav wrote:

I think it's better you do get enough sleep next time around.
I wrote my test at 8am :shock: wasn't the best time for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
update: Just gave my second GMAT (36 days after my first attempt). Went from 640 (q39 v38) to 660(q44 v38) practicing on GMAT Club tests. My strategy was to improve my quant to the 49-50 range and so I only spent 3 days brushing up my verbal. Unfortunately my scores are still very mediocre. Im planning on giving myself more time to prepare and improve before I go in again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Maybe you should consider taking a private tutor who will focus on your personal weaknesses. This is by far the best way to prepare for the GMAT. Of course, it is the most cost intensive but still just a fraction of your total MBA costs...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37580 posts