Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [8]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, MIT
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Re: 780 (Q50, V48) debrief and thank you [#permalink]
Kudos
Klusner, nah, that would be way too smart for me.... I saved a bunch of money working a "tough" job and got six months leave without pay to save my sanity (wanted to resign but realized I might need a salary eventually and was volunteering to job search in the worst economy in my lifetime). Then I decided to take the GMAT and apply to b-school since I had the free time (and obviously I also want to change jobs). Awesome career plan eh?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Wow..congrats!
How much were you scoring during the prac tests?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
eekthecat , i am in a similar position of doing a stressful job . But i have learnt to handle the stress and it doesnt bother me at all.

I was also thinking of taking a sabatical :)) , lets see how that goes.

thanks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Congrats eekthecat. Can you post how you did on the MGMAT tests before the real exam? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Klusner, I'm with ya, what was killing me was the social part, the job was overseas and I hadn't seen my friends+family for too long. Now I've spent too much time with them and I'm VERY ready to go back to work in January. Sabbatical or equivalent is a fantastic idea, I think go-getters (likely describing most of us) can't relax on a 3 day weekend. It took me two weeks to stop being afraid that I had to go back.

As for the scores:
MGMAT 1, 5 weeks before: 680 (Q45, V37)
MGMAT 2, 3 weeks before: 710 (Q47, V40)
MGMAT 3, 2 weeks before: 720 (Q47, V41)
MGMAT 4, 2.5 weeks before: 740 (Q47, V45)
MGMAT 5, 1 week before: 770 (Q50, V45)
MGMAT 6, 3 days before: 740 (Q47, V45) (this was my last practice test but my internet went out in the middle of the quant and messed up the time so I didn't stress too much about this score)

Kaplan CATs (don't have the dates here, but took interspersed with the MGMAT at about equal intervals):
750 (Q45, V41); 800 (Q53, V55); 770 (Q50, V54); 740 (Q50, V46)

GMAT Prep, I messed up the software and took questions 2x, so I don't consider my scores representative, more like practice. What I'm noting on the scores is 1. my verbal really did improve, I didn't do more studying so I think this was just mental stamina gains and 2. The Kaplan scoring is a little less consistent.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ooooooooooooooooohh , what practise scores man :)

Keep it up bro
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I had read your profile a couple of days before the test and it really motivated me! thank you for sharing your story. I found the quant pretty easy as well, but it ended up screwing me over, since so many of the questions were just straight forward and did not have the usual GMAT type nuance in it so it completely threw me off!

Anyways, great score...you should definitely apply to Stanford GSB..by far one of the best programs in the Country.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V48
Send PM
MXB908 I know what you mean, I was expecting the crazy tricks to come out (a la GMAT Club or Manhattan GMAT) and they just didn't!

As for Stanford... I like what I see there. Not to mention the campus is just beautiful. I will be putting all my energy into that app starting tomorrow!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q158 V153
GPA: 3.74
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Awesome!!!

congrats!!!!! :!: :!: :!:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Information Technology
Send PM
adfasfasf [#permalink]
nice score
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and practice scores. You did an amazing job!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Contratulations, Amazing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Hey shadow,

For the quant section can you breakdown how many questions you blindly guessed on, how many you guessed by eliminating 2 or 3, and how many questions your sure you got right?

The reason I ask is because I don't understand how when I get 5 or 10 wrong on the GMAT Prep Exam I still have a score from 45-50 but I haven't received that same score on the real GMAT.

How many questions does one have to actually get right? Can some experts shed some light?
This exam is confusing the heck out of me.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Not sure if this was meant for me but I will give my own experience. I don't think I blindly guessed/eliminated 2 for any questions. Full disclosure: I never did that in practice either, I just made common errors, get a wrong result that GMAT predicted, and move forward thinking I'm right when I'm wrong. So I'm sure I did this during the test as well.

As for the GMAT Prep; # of wrong/right answers is not the predictor for score, it is the difficulty of the questions that you get right (try this link for more info). If you are getting them right, the questions should get harder, and if you're getting them wrong, the questions would get easier. So, if you get 27 Q47-level difficulty questions right, and 10 Q51-level questions wrong, it might average out to Q50. If that makes any sense.

So, what is more important than # right/wrong is your overall approach, like having the skills solid, getting your timing right (moving on, not digging yourself into a hole), and keeping your wits about you during testing. If your GMAT score is not reflective of your GMAT prep score, maybe it is nerves, maybe you've seen the GMAT prep questions one too many times?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Hey Eek, that was for you sorry about that. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have taken the Gmat Prep many times so that could have played a role. I've also taken the MGMAT exams and scored in the same range. And nerves definitely played a role especially during the Quant section. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to do well in Quant on the REAL exam which is why I was asking how many I would need to get right versus how many I could guess.

But if you're saying that you didn't even guess on any questions in the Quant then that's amazing. I'm certainly not there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Great Score,, congrats !!
Intern
Intern