Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:41 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GOT POOR SCORE 620 ; q 45 v30 [#permalink]
earlier score was also 620 ( q48 , v27) taken on 30.09.09

Again on 30.12.09 620 ( q 45 , Q 30) .

Knewton - online tutroing . For verbal I used OG12 th edition . ( i did only SC and CR ) .

On manhattan practice tests ( online ) I am consistently scoring above 680 . verbal always above 35 .

I dont know what went wrong and how do I improve verbal , maintaining quant .

I look for 700 score .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
For quant : Have you already try the GMAT Club Test ? IMO, this is a good resource to improve your quant score.

For Verbal : What is your weakest section ? RC, CR, SC ? It is worth mentioning that you get 6 verbal tests when you buy the gmat club tests. They are not as good as the math tests but, in my opinion, they are still a good way to practice in real conditions.

Otherwise :

SC : The Manhatan GMAT Sentence Correction book is a must. You also have good resources on this forum. For example : the-brutal-100-sc-test-questions-1-70-and-growing-34300.html

RC : I read the Manhatan GMAT RC book but think that it is just ok. However, the GMAT Verbal Study guide of Manhattan Review is very good for RC because it proposes hard and long text. This book was very useful to me.

CR : I used essentially the Official OG and the Official verbal.

Happy new year !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Did you feel tired towards the end of your exam? did you have to guess on some questions in the verbal part? what are your scores on GMAT Prep? what are your hit rates on OG?

do you use an error log to keep track of your mistakes and to identify your weak areas?

Have you tried LSAT resources?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USGBC
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I feel scoring a 35-40 range in Manhattan is no guarantee you will score above 35 in real exam.
The verbal score you get in GMAT PREP is the true score you would see in exam. I used to score 35-40 range MGMAT
and 30-34 in GMAT PREP and finally that's what happened. Got 31. Now I started practicing the GMAT PREP SC, (attached below).
Practice these and you will see the difference.
Attachments

File comment: GMAT PREP SCA
GPOA_Ans.doc [158.5 KiB]
Downloaded 195 times

File comment: GMAT PREP SCQ
GPSC_questions.doc [295 KiB]
Downloaded 395 times

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Did you feel tired towards the end of your exam? did you have to guess on some questions in the verbal part? what are your scores on GMAT Prep? what are your hit rates on OG?

do you use an error log to keep track of your mistakes and to identify your weak areas?

Have you tried LSAT resources?

I was quite alright for the entire period of the exam .

Yes . I have to make guesses on verbal for all the portions ( SC , CR and RC ) for some questions ( 2-3 from each portion - sc, cr and rc) .

I did OG 12 SC and CR . GPREP SC around 180 questions and reviewed a couple of times .

LSAT not full but only 10 sets . Quant score has taken a dip. In my anxiety to improve verbal score , I practised or focused only on verbal for the second time and finally there is a dip of 3 points. But verbal improvement was very very minimal 27 to 30. This verbal score is bothering me badly.

I practised OG questions in sets of 20 . 80% was the accuracy level. 3-4 mistakes in each set.

There was lot of panic in the middle of quant all of a sudden. 5 min for 10 questions. I did guess and ran not to miss any question unanswered.

But in verbal timing was alright. I was not in hurry. But fourth RC was very big three paras with inference questions. ( 3 questions i have to guess ) .

Towards the end 39 th question was BF .

I used Manhattan SC guide for SC. PowerScore CR bible for CR besides Knewton practice questions .

in GMAT PREP 1 I got 670 and retake was 720.

GMAT prep 2 was 620.( Q 42 V32 ) . I didnot take for the second time as questions start repeating in test 1 . ( 670 first and 720 on the second time ).

But on manhattan tests

test 6 : 690 ( q 45 v 39 )

test5 : 700 ( q46 v 39)

test4 : 660 ( q 46 v 34 )

test 3 : 670( q 42 v 39)

test 2 : 650 ( q 45 v 34 )

test1 : 620 ( q 47 v 27)

But on all knewton CATs 620 was the highest score I got .

Past exam reports Date completed Q V Total
Diagnostic GMAT 05/27/2009 at 12:29AM 43 32 620
Practice GMAT #1 06/21/2009 at 11:29PM 33 30 530
Practice GMAT #2 07/17/2009 at 11:39PM 45 29 610
Practice GMAT #3 07/27/2009 at 12:10AM 43 32 620
Practice GMAT #4 08/04/2009 at 10:35PM 46 25 590

After 4 th one I stopped taking further CATs .

My biggest query . RC and CR are both big issues to me.

SC accuracy was 90 % . For CR I did knewton questions , OG 12 and LSAT 10 sets along with power score CR bible.

But I could not consistenly answer correctly .

I did knewton RCs and the RC from KNEWTON CATs and Manhattan CATS.

SC : OG 12 + gmat prep + knewton Scs

QUERY : whether I can improve my verbal score .

Atleast I dont doubt SC accuracy.

CR and RC ---biggest challenge to me. Power score methods does not seem to work on every gmat question or I am not applying correctly.
LAST THING : I have the option of either continuing with Knewton prep or seeking money back.

GUYS : please suggest what shall I do for improving verbal score .

ANother possibility : trying to apply with this score . ANy B-schools which will consider giving admission with this score in US .

Work ex: 9 yrs in power sector operation , commissioning and ERP implementation and SRM implementation and procurment for project expansion activities ( POWER PLANT ).

Thank U one and all who responded to my queries.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hai Guys ,

I got AWA 4.5 compared to earlier AWA score of 5.0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi,
I will tell you what worked for me(I got a 710(m 48, v 40) after my initial score of 600(m47, v27)):

Though OG is a great representation for the actual problems, I found that some of the problems get easy if you just repeat preparing with the same set of questions. I used GMATTER (that contains CR1000 questions - it contains repeats too but still better given the large volume of questions) which was extremely useful as I can always time myself and answer questions using PC(instead of solving it in paper). Anytime, I got wrong, I just googled(or searched in the gmatclub forums) and its very likely that you will get excellent explanations on why something is correct/wrong. I followed the same approach with RC1000 and CR1000 as well as during GMATPrep results review. Spending more time on reviewing your wrong answers is very important as it helps to reduce the number of mistakes that you make i.e spending quality hours on preparation.

In addition, for SC, I found that understanding logical sequence for a given sentence was more important to spot errors (for especially hard questions) than just focusing on spotting the errors immediately.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck with your GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,
I will tell you what worked for me(I got a 710(m 48, v 40) after my initial score of 600(m47, v27)):

Though OG is a great representation for the actual problems, I found that some of the problems get easy if you just repeat preparing with the same set of questions. I used GMATTER (that contains CR1000 questions - it contains repeats too but still better given the large volume of questions) which was extremely useful as I can always time myself and answer questions using PC(instead of solving it in paper). Anytime, I got wrong, I just googled(or searched in the gmatclub forums) and its very likely that you will get excellent explanations on why something is correct/wrong. I followed the same approach with RC1000 and CR1000 as well as during GMATPrep results review. Spending more time on reviewing your wrong answers is very important as it helps to reduce the number of mistakes that you make i.e spending quality hours on preparation.

In addition, for SC, I found that understanding logical sequence for a given sentence was more important to spot errors (for especially hard questions) than just focusing on spotting the errors immediately

I used GMATTER : any thought of what it is and where is it available. software or ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q45  V27 GMAT 2: 640  Q47  V31
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
what is GMATTER ? I have never heard about that before
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HAi GUYS,

Please suggest me a plan of action for retaking the gmat esp for verbal.

where do i begin.

There was uncontrollable anxiety during exxxxxam regarding the score I am going to get.

Probably that anxiety might have killed my score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I am agree with River10. MGMAT verbal score is not representative. I see around 8 point drop in my Gprep2 vs MGMAT CATs.

It is very difficult to improve in verbal for non natives specially in CR and RC. The problem I am seeing with speed to comprehend lots of English with good accuracy. If I do un timed RC and CR problems, I hit around 80-90% accuracy, but timed(hard limit of 75-80 sec) problem accuracy is around 50-60%. effectively In exam we get only 75-80 sec per question to read, comprehend and answer as many sec wasted in switching problem and think before marking correct even we nail down the answer.

So practice question with hard time limit, and see your accuracy and work to improve that. These are just my finding as I am also struggling with same issue.

if anyone has similar CR and RC documents from Gprep, please share it.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
As ponited under time pressure accuracy level is coming down from say 85% level to 50- 60% in CR and still worse in RC .

Guys : any plan of action to improve CR and RC accuracy .

Materials to be used .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi River10,

is there any explanation available for these SC Grep Prep questions?

Thanks in advance.
-Amit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HAi GUYS

GOT an interview call from XLRI JAMESHEDPUR.

Any tips how to prepare for the interview.

Will there be any other tests such as GD ???
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72902 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations!!!

Try the ZoomInterviews or InterviewBay - both offer a 10% discount for gmatclub members (I think)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hai,

How to avail the discount ? it asks promocode or referral code ? any idea pls
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder