Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 05:13 It is currently 03 May 2024, 05:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Environmentalist: The increasing cases of cancer amoung our [#permalink]
taklu,
where did you get this one from? The OA is wrong.
Correct answer has to be C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
My choice was 'E'.
'C' - I think is out of scope because the spokesperson's statement talks about local wells that supply drinking water and not about local produce.
'B' says the source of drinking water has not changed so it actually strengthens the spokesperson's statement because according to them the water is polluted and if the citizens are still using this water they are bound to be affected.
'E' on the other hand says that the pollutants were always present in the water, so if the citizens were always using this water, it could not account for the increasing cases of cancer.

I am not sure whether my analysis is right or wrong - any thoughts???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
If I am not wrong than this CR is from Kaplan800 and even i was also not able to understand it. Because I did this CR before joining this forum I completely forgot to post about it. But yes this CR is very confusing.

Saurabh Malpani
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
This one's tricky.
I didn't pick C for the following reason: we are asked to weaken the spokesperson's claim which is that "the cancer causing chemicals are in the water" - He does not claim that the plant does or does not produce them.

C, I believe, acually strengthens the spokesperson's claim that indeed water does have the cancer causing chemicals.

D (I picked this one first - but I think this is wrong) - since it doesn't say anything about water carrying the chemicals.

B is the only one that talks about neighbours not changing their water source. I would have picked this, if the environmentalist clearly stated that there is no cancer to the neighbours. I guess this must be implied by "citizens"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Please avoid crack gmat materials.

If you are still at the learning stage in verbal, please dont touch anything other than Official Guide or the LSAT Superprep. You also have several retired ETS paper tests available on the GMAC website.

After you have done that, you still have hundreds of CR's available from the other disclosed LSAT's.

Practising the right strategies with poor quality problems will lead us nowhere.

Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thnx for the suggestion ..

I have stopped using crack gmat... was trying to find a review before i bought it but didnt manage to find a negative review on it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
C is the asnwer

Explanation - Company spokesperson is contesting that local wells have polluted water which result in cancer....
it is being weakened since chemicals used in company is discharged into river which finds it ways into local produces..so concluding that drinking water is polluted by chemicals discharged by company.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts