Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 10:08 It is currently 19 May 2024, 10:08
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MSF/MFin Fall 2010 Applicants Get In Here [#permalink]
Right now I think Vandy has the slight edge. I just like their curriculum a bit more, and I think that may be the deciding factor at this point.

Just out of curiosity, what has pushed you towards WashU instead of Vandy? Have you had a chance to visit WashU?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think WashU has better job placement in the northeast (where I am from) and also in Chicago (where I have family). I'm happy with their curriculum as well bc it seems like a nice mix between MSF and MFE courses. In the end I think it's the job placement that is the tie-breaker for me though. I'm not
looking to pursue a phd in finance so it's all about where I can find a job in my desired locations.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah, WashU's job placements seem pretty impressive. When I spoke to their advisor during my phone interview, she mentioned that a few students had received offers to work at the Federal Reserve in Washington. A position like that is something that really appeals to me, so the fact that she mentioned that really caught my eye. Vanderbilt's website isn't very specific when it comes to their placement statistics, so hopefully I'll be able to speak with somebody who can go into more detail. Since I won't be able to go to the Discover Weekend, I'm hoping to arrange a visit sometime next week so that I can meet with somebody from career services and sit in on a few classes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yea. I think the biggest thing for me is that the job placement is better in the northeast for Washington U. Vandy has many top companies that recruit on campus (i.e. All the big names like goldman and jpmorgan,etc.). However, I remember seeing somewhere that they usually place around 7-10% of their students in the northeast. This is probably bc many of the students choose jobs in the South and Midwest (bc they are from that area). I know Vandy has a great alumni network on wall street as well. Regardless of which school I attend I think I'll be able to get a job in the northeast but I think it will be slightly easier if I attend WashU and that's the tie-breaker.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd,

i haven't heard from washu yet. have you? i guess they're really gonna make us wait until the last day, huh?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yea it looks that way. I'll let you know once I hear anything from them (reject or admit). Another person sent me a PM yesterday and said he was applying as well and has not heard anything from WashU either.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just hope they don't move their notification date back again. I will post my decision here as well as soon as I hear from them.

on another note, one of disappointment, I was rejected for my 1st choice (MSc Finance and Economics) at LSE, and was just wait listed for my 2nd choice there (MSc Finance).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry to hear that blopez. At least your in at your 2nd choice... I know a rejection/waitlist is never a good
thing but Vandy is a nice 2nd option :-).

Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd52,

I just received my admissions notification! I'm extremly excited! Only 3 weeks until Vandy's deposit is due, so now I must decide!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Blopez: After a hellish week of waiting and a few ulcers I'm in too! So excited about this one. Making us wait until the last possible day and then having us sign in to our online apps to check the decision seems like cruel and unusual punishment but it's all good bc we are in!!!!! I think I've made my decision. Unless I hear something from MIT I'm most likely headed to WashU. :-) Congrats on the admit buddy. Enjoy your weekend!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats to you too! The more I think about it now, the more of a toss up it becomes. I guess I will decide after I visit both campuses. If you don't mind me asking, what was your undergrad major?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Biomedical Engineering. I had 1.5 years internship experience as an engineer during my undergrad but didn't really have a passion for the work. Figured out I was more interested in Finance a little too late to do anything abt it during undergrad. How about you? What was your major? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your profile like (i.e. GMAT score, work exp, etc.).

Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd, i sent you a message since we are pretty much the only two people talking on here ha ha.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone had an interview request from MIT on the MS in finance yet?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mgt: Not yet, have you heard from MIT?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm waiting on MIT as well.. Will let you folks know if I hear anything..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Has anyone heard back from MIT yet?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator: