Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:43 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:MIT Sloan LGO, Kellogg MMM R1, Ross R2, Duke R1, UNC R1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010 [#permalink]
x

Originally posted by awfulgmat on 04 Feb 2010, 10:30.
Last edited by awfulgmat on 28 Oct 2010, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
awfulgmat wrote:
Any other comments about interviews? This thread has been quiet. I plan on retaking the GMAT in July and applying again next year.

They really just ask about one or two situations and then expand on your answers as the interview progresses. For me specifically, one situation I wrote about in an essay and the other was to talk about a time my ideas were challenged in a non-work environment which actually threw me off for a second.

It was very easy-going and relaxed - I am not sure about the rest of the interviewers but mine was a professional counselor so when she wanted me to continue on something she would nod and make comments that encouraged it and when it was time to move on she was really good in directing me towards something else.

Like jzd said above, they will 100% ask you which partner companies you are interested in (I think the standard is to name 3 and why). Being totally unprepared for that one I had to quickly think back to what the students from the panel had done and start pulling stuff out of the air.
Intern
Intern
Schools:MIT-LGO
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Embedded Wireless Security Engineer
Send PM
So as the March 8th deadline approaches was getting anxious to hear the final word and found this forum. I interviewed on Friday during Interview Fest and thought it seemed to go well. However, since it was all behavioral and there isn't really a wrong answer I felt like it was hard to distinguish the impact the interview would have on acceptance.

So numbers... I saw about 100 interview invites and around 55-60 accepted earlier in this thread. Anybody know where those numbers came from? I heard different things from some of the current LGOs I talked to-one guy said about 50% (to the entire room if you were at that first Q&A session on Friday, haha) and another said 80-90% so I've heard a lot of possibilities.

I have to say, after visiting the program I really want to go there. I was one of the few people there who was actually applying mostly to MS programs not MBA programs but then I'm still pretty young so I was waiting to get more experience but thought I'd give an application to LGO a shot. I guess that worked out so far.

It seems like a lot of people were pretty heavy on the manufacturing/supply chain side whereas I haven't really done much of this. My interests are in technology feasibility for new products so I'd say it's more focused on operations/management though that is pretty broad.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
ranthal, welcome to the forum. I am a LGO applicant who interviewed on the Interview Fest Monday. When talking with a friend who's a second year, he mentioned that about 5-10 people turn down the offer (from his informal observation the last two years). If that holds true, then the 55-60 admits mentioned in the thread seems pretty accurate. It would make sense given the small class size that they would admit roughly the same number as previous years and use the wait list to handle minor fluctuations in yield.

All the other applicants that I met during the Interview Fest were very bright and friendly, I personally feel that anyone who interviewed has a roughly equal chance (barring a disastrous interview). Only a few more week until we find out, good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gregarious wrote:
ranthal, welcome to the forum. I am a LGO applicant who interviewed on the Interview Fest Monday. When talking with a friend who's a second year, he mentioned that about 5-10 people turn down the offer (from his informal observation the last two years). If that holds true, then the 55-60 admits mentioned in the thread seems pretty accurate. It would make sense given the small class size that they would admit roughly the same number as previous years and use the wait list to handle minor fluctuations in yield.

All the other applicants that I met during the Interview Fest were very bright and friendly, I personally feel that anyone who interviewed has a roughly equal chance (barring a disastrous interview). Only a few more week until we find out, good luck!

Thanks gregarious. I agree with you on the other applicants-a lot of the people I met at the Interview Fest, students and candidates alike, are a big reason I really hope to get in.

But agh! With equal chances at this point it's so hard to wait those weeks. I felt like after my visit it was even harder to determine how they would narrow it down further.

Good luck to you too!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:MIT
Send PM
ranthal wrote:
It seems like a lot of people were pretty heavy on the manufacturing/supply chain side whereas I haven't really done much of this. My interests are in technology feasibility for new products so I'd say it's more focused on operations/management though that is pretty broad.

Just curious about your first-hand anecdotal experience - what types of manufacturing industries would you say a lot of these people came from that you ran into?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
smkrn wrote:
Just curious about your first-hand anecdotal experience - what types of manufacturing industries would you say a lot of these people came from that you ran into?

Seemed like a pretty even spread across a number of different engineering disciplines. I remember meeting a number of current students and applicants from aerospace, pharmaceutical and electronics.

I remember seeing somewhere on the LGO website a breakdown of their students by their undergraduate major for the 2011 class and once again, pretty even. If any one group stood out it was mechanical with a little over 10. Can't remember where this was but with a little Googling it shouldn't be ahrd to find.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Masters in Engineering; top school in US. President: student association. Captain- soccer team. Local music band guitarist
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Haas EWMBA, Chicago Booth, UCLA Anderson
Send PM
Does anyone know if LGO AdCom is still sending interview invites? or are they DONE!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Vicki Mach gave me below reply today!

We are still in the process of reviewing applications, and we may invite applicants to interview through early March 2010. Our official decision date is March 8, 2010.

Best regards,
Vicki
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LGO sent out invites last week, and may send additional ones until the deadline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
um cant wait to just find out, good or bad. anyone know when people actually found out last year?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT (LGO)
Send PM
LGOorbust wrote:
um cant wait to just find out, good or bad. anyone know when people actually found out last year?

I'm only basing this from what I've heard from others who've been through the process, I'm not a reapplicant nor has anyone from MIT officially confirmed this.

At InterviewFest, a current student mentioned to me that typically the Adcom will call admits just prior to the decision date. Past forums discussions support this, and suggest the Sunday prior to decision day is when to expect a phone call. Official materials will be in the mail and arrive during that week.

So be on the lookout for a phone call from area code 617 on March 7th. Of course we don't know if they'll follow the same pattern as prior years, but so far everything else this year was very similar.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
ndsheth8 wrote:
Of course we don't know if they'll follow the same pattern as prior years, but so far everything else this year was very similar.

If it holds true, then only one more week until we find out! Don't know if anyone else has been weighing LGO vs. another program, but I've been trying not to think about it until the decision comes out. If the news is good though, it will be a tough call . . .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
So I am waiting to hear back from my interview. Does anyone know how they are going to select the candidates from the 100 or so they interview? I thought my interview went really well but I am a poor judge at these types of things. I didn't get an interview from HBS so I am likely dinged there. That fact along with this waiting process makes me think that I got dinged from MIT...

The whole process seems like a black box to me with some random inputs and my application; who knows what will come out...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gregarious wrote:
ndsheth8 wrote:
Of course we don't know if they'll follow the same pattern as prior years, but so far everything else this year was very similar.

If it holds true, then only one more week until we find out! Don't know if anyone else has been weighing LGO vs. another program, but I've been trying not to think about it until the decision comes out. If the news is good though, it will be a tough call . . .

I would say screw W after they didn't even offer me an interview!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Any word from the program office yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nothing here...most likely sunday it looks like?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10