Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 17:02 It is currently 03 May 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Licensed Architect + MBA opens what doors??? [#permalink]
Ginetta wrote:
So I dont know of anyone in architecture, but you have said yourself that the people leading your profession dont have MBA's and have a lack of business education. So, they are obviously getting to the higher rungs without it. If you wanted to stay in architecture I see little point in shelling out $150k for your MBA when its not needed. You can learn project management fairly easily through designations such as the PMP.

Architecture has little to do with business, or the planning behind the development project and its profitability. You will have to decide which path you are most interested in, and follow that route. If you want to be in design, stay and get your Architecture license. If you want to be on the business side, get your MBA - but that is going to take you away from pure architecture. If you are working on big projects, I cant see a person having enough bandwith to plan a project its financing etc, and then also design the whole thing. You are going to be on one aspect of the project or the other.

Thanks for your response Ginetta. Let me give you some more information.

I already have my Architecture License so I am Licensed and have passed the 9 exams necessary to be so. I have held project management positions on large projects at the firm I worked at before the recession forced many projects around the country to be put on hold. I know that there is a limited ceiling in that profession from both a financial and a satisfaction standpoint and I want more. The lack of business sensibilities in the architecture industry is forcing the profession to almost become obsolete. It's by far the most impacted by this recession.

With this being said, I am genuinely interested in the relationship between architecture and business (development). So I would say that I am interested in the business behind real estate projects yet my architecture background has allowed me to understand the correct way to build cities and design projects. I feel I have a unique combination of the two but I also have to diversify in order to survive. Everyday you are not able to work because you picked a profession where there is no work is not a smart business decision.

On the costs, my estimates are coming nowhere near the 150k cost for an MBA. I plan on attending a Major University in one of the largest cities in the USA for close a fourth of that price.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have been in the profession for 5 yrs post grad school and have applied to bschool with the encouragement of a friend. I have received some offers already but am still contemplating the decision to switch / invest time and money.

It is definitely a tough question to ask passion vs a hopefully more stable / lucrative path. It would be great to be successful enough to one day be the client of great architecture and have a custom home!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
I think it makes perfect sense for an aspiring leader in the architecture industry to enhance his knowledge of areas such as marketing and strategy. Additionally the MBA networks would be very very valuable in terms of business development (after all architects need rich clients ..)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Have you taken a look at some of the better Masters in Real Estate/ Real Estate Development programs that exist. They are mostly 1 year programs, except Cornell which is two years. Many people in those programs combine with an MBA. Top Schools include, MIT, Cornell, USC, and Columbia, but there are other good programs as well. Might be exactly what you are looking for to master the business side of things.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Barium: You and I have the same position on Arch and Business. I am currently double majoring in Business and BArch. I also plan to get an MBA if my employer or career can benefit from it. You should talk with a principle of an architecture firm. They seem to be be more interested in this path than the typical employee who is not privy to what it takes to run a business. I grew up in a family owned business and always aspired to be an architect so I just went for it. I know of a young girl who obtained her BArch and went to work for a large firm who was sent to get her MBA after which they moved her into a production manager of their furniture division. We should talk, I have yet to find anyone with similar ideas so this may be a rare opportunity.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93025 posts
GMAT Tutor
1904 posts