Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:28 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [2]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: buying a nice watch for b-school [#permalink]
Kudos
Simple? No more than $350? Damn you guys are stylish over there at YSOM.

nink wrote:
get a simple dress watch like my Bulova. I don't think I spent more than $350 on it.....

Now that my 9-year old (electric blue colored, naturally) Fossil watch has started losing time, I've decided to "invest" in a $80 Citizen Eco-Drive. Perfectly acceptable, functional, and environmentally friendly.

Don't feel like you NEED to buy a nice watch simply because you're in business school. Do it because YOU want to spend that cash on a haute fashion accessory. No one really cares about such things in business school. Spend the $350 on going to a couple of extra conferences instead, maybe. You'll get more out of it. But to each his own.

Not even recruiters. Okay, maybe they care if you wear a shocking pink Hello Kitty! limited edition Swatch to your second-round investment banking interview, but not otherwise.

And yes, those shoes were indeed an awesome deal, ninky. I hope you thanked your fiancee enough on my behalf.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [2]
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Totally unnecessary to have a nice watch for B-School, IMO. Unless it was something you would have purchased in your previous life pre-MBA, it's just not worth it.

i.e. If you worked at a hedge fund or investment bank and it fits in with the rest of your wardrobe and the rest of your lifestyle, then that's fair. If you're taking out a six-figure loan for school and decide to splurge on an Omega or Cartier... it won't exactly seem like the smartest of decisions.

Recruiters truly won't care. Just make sure your suit fits well and your shoes are shined. Go with a simple watch in the $100-300 range -- Citizen, Seiko, Tissot, etc. will do.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Re: watches at business school:

Don't:
- be both a watch and calculator
- have your favorite cartoon character pointing to the digits on its face
- play Lady Gaga every hour on the hour

Seriously, it's really not worth it to buy a fancy watch just for school. As long as your watch doesn't look totally ridiculous with a suit you're fine. As solaris1 said, you can find an appropriate looking watch in the $100 range. Will you have classmates that roll up with a $2,000+ Breitling or Rolex? Yeah, probably. Will it in any way affect their social standing, success or job prospects? Not at all.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [2]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
just to clarify, i never intended to buy a $2000 tag heuer or anything like that...i don't have that much money to blow (yet).

based on some of the comments, i'll probably just keep the watch i have unless a good deal for bing cashback comes up again - i think macys.com had 20% cashback a few weeks ago.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
just to clarify, i never intended to buy a $2000 tag heuer or anything like that...i don't have that much money to blow (yet).

Oh okay. Go nuts then :) Buy something nice and simple.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Kudos
There are some good sites online for nice watches, for cheap, if you buy it at the right time.

www.thewatchery.com
www.ashford.com
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:

based on some of the comments, i'll probably just keep the watch i have unless a good deal for bing cashback comes up again - i think macys.com had 20% cashback a few weeks ago.

I highly appreciate the link to the video. Thought I was one of the few to catch that reference ...

But ... trying to get out of that mentality before I give up my salary to eat ramen every night.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Canal Street fake? I got a really nice Tag Heuer fake that cost me about 40 and I don't think I have met anyone that didn't know it wasn't real.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
run4run wrote:
Canal Street fake? I got a really nice Tag Heuer fake that cost me about 40 and I don't think I have met anyone that didn't know it wasn't real.

haha, i'm glad to see there are other fake it til you make it people on here. i will be heading to canal street to get a "nice" shoulder/laptop bag for school
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Kudos
I love watches and bought myself a TAG after winning a poker tournament. I'm actually very partial to Citizen though. I still have one of the first eco-drive models from 8 years ago+ and it still works great. Citizen start at a few hundred dollars, but they have some that hit 4-figures.

Definitely don't think a 4-figure watch is a necessity for B-school. Just seems silly to spend money on stuff like that unless watches are really your thing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management, Consulting
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager
Send PM
LetsGoMets wrote:
I love watches and bought myself a TAG after winning a poker tournament. I'm actually very partial to Citizen though. I still have one of the first eco-drive models from 8 years ago+ and it still works great. Citizen start at a few hundred dollars, but they have some that hit 4-figures.

Definitely don't think a 4-figure watch is a necessity for B-school. Just seems silly to spend money on stuff like that unless watches are really your thing.

I agree with you. I love the idea of having a new watch, but it's definitely not a necessity. I would rather spend that money towards my books, tuition, or my laptop.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a partial to Festina watches since they used to sponsor cycling teams while I was a young lad.

I own one as a prize from my racing days. However, I've yet to wear it. My cellphone is my watch these days.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
damn. i'm ashamed i'm the only one here with like 4 watches (3 real ones in the 500-1k range, 1 perfect fake that no one can tell that's in the 4k range).

i'm guessing expensive dress shoes, suits, jackets, jeans, etc. are also not common in bschool?

i work in advertising, where $300 jeans, $500 shoes, and a raggedy (but expensive) t-shirt are like the norm. guess i better change it up a bit for school lol.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Kudos
DrSatisfaction wrote:
damn. i'm ashamed i'm the only one here with like 4 watches (3 real ones in the 500-1k range, 1 perfect fake that no one can tell that's in the 4k range).

i'm guessing expensive dress shoes, suits, jackets, jeans, etc. are also not common in bschool?

i work in advertising, where $300 jeans, $500 shoes, and a raggedy (but expensive) t-shirt are like the norm. guess i better change it up a bit for school lol.

Don't be ashamed. I have a Tag on my wrist now, and another $1,500 watch sitting in a drawer that sometimes makes the rotation, and a great fake patek that some gentleman with an amex black card complimented on while I volunteered at the US Open. I have my eyes on a daytona in stainless, but b-school tuition is going to get in the way of that one.

I wrote above that spending money on watches is silly unless it's your thing... I love watches.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
A friend who is semi-unreliable on any kind of fashion told me that a boss told him that someone in business should have nice shoes, a nice watch, and a nice umbrella.

First two make sense, not sure about the third one, though I do know I need to stop plowing a 5 foot wide path down the sidewalk with my golf umbrella.

Will probably look for some nice shoes and a decent watch before school. Definitely want to keep the watch price below $500 because I'd rather just wait and buy a very nice one after school once I have the money.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
PBateman wrote:
A friend who is semi-unreliable on any kind of fashion told me that a boss told him that someone in business should have nice shoes, a nice watch, and a nice umbrella.

First two make sense, not sure about the third one, though I do know I need to stop plowing a 5 foot wide path down the sidewalk with my golf umbrella.

Will probably look for some nice shoes and a decent watch before school. Definitely want to keep the watch price below $500 because I'd rather just wait and buy a very nice one after school once I have the money.

I think the nice umbrella is to keep your nice shoes and your nice suit dry. Don't feel bad about your golf umbrella ... I have a collapsible one that serves me well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management, Consulting
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager
Send PM
DrSatisfaction wrote:

No way, I say don't change a bit and keep your identity. You shouldn't feel obligated to change your style because of other students. I would love to buy a nice watch before school starts, just don't have the funding. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3