Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
monkbent wrote:
Jerz wrote:
PercyJ wrote:
Put yourself in the mind of a student application reviewer (which some of you may become). What are the main factors that would cause you to accept or reject a candidate? What would you look for in a candidate? If you had 500 applications to go through, how would you weed out the candidates? Just curious, plus it could be helpful to those applying next year.

1. Does the applicant have clear, well thought-out career goals? Does the applicant have a reasonable chance of achieving these goals based on their background and what they'll pick up through an MBA?
2. Does the applicant have a good understanding of what Kellogg is all about? Does the applicant explain convincingly why Kellogg is the right school for them and how they'll contribute to the community here?
3. Is the applicant an interesting person that I'd want to spend time with? Would I want this person in one of my groups? Does their application stand out from the hundreds of others that I've read?
4. Does the person go insane on GMAT Club?

NB: I am not a student reader. This is just what I'd care about if I were reading applications.

Fixed that for you Jerz :twisted:

(Don't worry, I'm not a student reader either...

:-D If I were a member of the adcom, I would add an option to automatically join the gmatclub from the online application. Then knowing the applicant's pseudo, I could see what craziness they might post, thus making the job of weeding out applicants that much easier. :roll:
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Giving up hope for an admit, now hoping for the wait list. Does anyone have any statistics for what % of wait listed candidates are ultimately admitted. It can't be high....

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got a quick scare from this subject line in my inbox 'Topic reply notification - "Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!"' Thankfully the scare only lasted milliseconds as my drowsy brain finally comprehended what it actually was. :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
unplugged wrote:
stonana wrote:
Have any of the MMM admits received or heard of anybody getting the Wally Hopp Scholarship that is specifically for MMM students? I am just trying to determine if this is something that would have been offered up front or if there is still a possibility of receiving this later in the process.

I don't have an admit but I can answer your question - Many applicants receive the relevant info during 'the call' but there are quite a few who receive $$$ after a few days.

Are you admitted to the MMM program?

Most of the scholarships are open to both FT and MMM students but Wally Hopp is only for the MMM students.

EDIT: just found that you have an admit. congrats

Don't know specifically about that scholarship since I'm not MMM, but I wanted to expand on what unplugged said. While there are some big named scholarships given out at admissions, there are a bunch more (including Kellogg's generic need/merit-based grants) that are given out after you apply for financial aid. For example, I got some need/merit money when they sent my initial financial aid package in April, then found out I got a named scholarship in May. If I remember correctly, many people here on gmatclub last year got some form of scholarship money from Kellogg in their financial aid package.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
PercyJ wrote:
Follow-up: How does one best display their understanding of Kellogg? What makes one choose Kellogg over another top-5 program?

Ideally your understanding of Kellogg will be spread throughout all your essays: in the first essay where you talk about why Kellogg, the second essay where you talk about what leadership skills you want to develop here and the third essay where you talk about being part of the Kellogg community.

As for what makes a person choose Kellogg, I think if you asked the 1200 or so students here you'd get several hundred different reasons why they chose Kellogg. I think the best answer to this question is a personal one. Show that you understand what it's like to be a part of Kellogg, and then discuss why that is something that is important to you. Remember that readers see hundreds of applicants, so saying something like "I want to attend Kellogg because I want to go into marketing and like working in teams" is not going to make you stand out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
unplugged wrote:
stonana wrote:
Have any of the MMM admits received or heard of anybody getting the Wally Hopp Scholarship that is specifically for MMM students? I am just trying to determine if this is something that would have been offered up front or if there is still a possibility of receiving this later in the process.

I don't have an admit but I can answer your question - Many applicants receive the relevant info during 'the call' but there are quite a few who receive $$$ after a few days.

Are you admitted to the MMM program?

Most of the scholarships are open to both FT and MMM students but Wally Hopp is only for the MMM students.

EDIT: just found that you have an admit. congrats

Don't know specifically about that scholarship since I'm not MMM, but I wanted to expand on what unplugged said. While there are some big named scholarships given out at admissions, there are a bunch more (including Kellogg's generic need/merit-based grants) that are given out after you apply for financial aid. For example, I got some need/merit money when they sent my initial financial aid package in April, then found out I got a named scholarship in May. If I remember correctly, many people here on gmatclub last year got some form of scholarship money from Kellogg in their financial aid package.

Quick question - when is the best time to inform the Admission's Committee that you've received a scholarship from another school that will significantly impact your decision? I recently received a full tuition scholarship to Ross, and while I haven’t been admitted into Kellogg nor do I want to be presumptuous, I was wondering if this is something you inform them of within a few days of receiving an offer or once you receive your financial aid package?

Absolutely love both Kellogg and Michigan, so we’ll see what happens. I’m from the Midwest and can’t wait to get back.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Remember that readers see hundreds of applicants, so saying something like "I want to attend Kellogg because I want to go into marketing and like working in teams" is not going to make you stand out.

Oh no :(
I really did say this (but phrased it a little differently).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
With no word of dings or admits today, I am guessing the St. Patty's Day festivities were too inviting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stonana wrote:

Nope, haven't heard anything on this...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Law, Entrepreneur
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
I am a JDMBA applicant. Not sure if any JDMBA applicant has heard anything as yet?
I called the Admissions office with a couple of questions. Their responses to my questions weren't very informative.

Please add me to the list of applicants.
780/25/Male/Quant on Wall Street 3 years

Originally posted by crazyquant on 17 Mar 2010, 10:30.
Last edited by crazyquant on 17 Mar 2010, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
PercyJ wrote:
With no word of dings or admits today, I am guessing the St. Patty's Day festivities were too inviting.

The silence is disturbing. I fear we are entering the predominantly wl/ding portion of the round.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shana22 wrote:
PercyJ wrote:

The silence is disturbing. I fear we are entering the predominantly wl/ding portion of the round.

For me WL=ding with a smiley face sticker
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton (WL), Booth (WL), Kellogg (WL), Ross (ding)
GPA: 3.75
WE 1: public accounting
Send PM
Kudos
Don't be so pessimistic, they are just enjoying green beer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q47  V44
WE 1: 4 years management strategy in defense sector
Send PM
This is my year of applying and what's puzzling to me is that it seems that there hasn't been a lot of daily action on this and the BW board with admits, etc.. I recognize that only a fraction post but is it possible that that decisions have only trickled in so far and we're due for some waves this/next week? Is this the typical pace of decisions coming out on these boards?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
They should be starting to get back from lunch now...so hopefully something will start to pick up here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I wouldnt mind the St Patty's Day Guinness ...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
One confirmed ding today from the BW forum.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  109   110   111   112   113  ...  136   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts