Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 03:38 It is currently 06 May 2024, 03:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MAAC Scholarships - USC, UTA, etc. Wondering about $$$ [#permalink]
wolfyserver wrote:
hey shannon,

During my banking interviews I always struggled because I didn't have a quantitative major. i learned that when times get tough, that's really when the value of your school pulls through--like brand, alums helping you, etc. it's a 2nd chance for me to do the work I want: corporate finance, management consulting, etc. so i'm going to tough it out for these 2 years and save up for it.

may i ask, does the scholarship depend on your age too? i'm almost 24. but if i could get that amount after writing the essay for USC, i can go!!

thanks!!

No, my scholarship doesn't depend on age... in fact, I've never heard of a scholarship depending on age before.

Many (most?) students in MAcc programs are doing it for their CPA license requirements. One thing I've learned is that they really like students to have a concrete reason as to why they're interested in accounting. And I have to confess, most accounting programs I've looked at are not heavy in quantitative skills, it's a pretty common misconception. Since you're interested in finance, why not pursue a master's in finance? I think it would better fit your needs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I'm confused; do you want a Masters of Accounting or an MBA? It seems like your goals may be more inline with what an MBA program can offer you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
oh i definitely agree, i am going to sit down for the CPA. i have about 160 credits now (tried 2 degrees), and am studying accounting by myself at night. but the problem really is i guess the network. there are jobs i know i can do, but i just can't get my foot through the door.

i was wondering though, what's your reason for USC? it seems difficult for me to express passion for accounting. so i'm still trying to figure that out!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lycaon wrote:
I'm confused; do you want a Masters of Accounting or an MBA? It seems like your goals may be more inline with what an MBA program can offer you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

agreed. i thought about a mba too, but no experience and it's quite expensive. i feel like i need a MSA to round myself out because i'm all liberal arts. but i'm open to all opinions!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wolfyserver wrote:
oh i definitely agree, i am going to sit down for the CPA. i have about 160 credits now (tried 2 degrees), and am studying accounting by myself at night. but the problem really is i guess the network. there are jobs i know i can do, but i just can't get my foot through the door.

i was wondering though, what's your reason for USC? it seems difficult for me to express passion for accounting. so i'm still trying to figure that out!

You said you were interested in jobs in corporate finance or management consulting, and that your experience was in asset management? That all spells finance to me, not accounting, so I think I'm a little confused about what you're looking for.

I worked two internships at a large asset management firm; do you mind if I ask what kind of team you were on, and what sort of work you did? That might help me to understand your situation.

I have many reasons why I am interested in USC, including that they are a phenomenal accounting program (top PAR rankings, separate college for accounting, specialized course topics available), they have great job placement & recruiting resources, their alumni network is legendary, great school spirit, and they're in a large city.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts