Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 05:43 It is currently 04 May 2024, 05:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Apps for Class of 2013 [#permalink]
Thanks guys.

mba2013: I am sensing an ominous tone in your post. Bad karma, it is. :-D but would HBS or Wharton deserve such karma? only time will tell.

While GMAT is not done yet, my list is done. I was thinking first round for all (= less competition?), but many say that their 3rd or 2nd rd app looks better than their 1st. My question is.. looks better in which aspect? essays? I mean, can it get better that much?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
chostein wrote:
Thanks guys.

mba2013: I am sensing an ominous tone in your post. Bad karma, it is. :-D but would HBS or Wharton deserve such karma? only time will tell.

While GMAT is not done yet, my list is done. I was thinking first round for all (= less competition?), but many say that their 3rd or 2nd rd app looks better than their 1st. My question is.. looks better in which aspect? essays? I mean, can it get better that much?

Haha, yes, it will. Unless you get a good head start, perhaps even if you do, after you've submitted all your apps, you'll look back at your first while waiting for your IV call and very likely cringe with embarrassment. You'll look at your last, though, and say, "This isn't half bad. I'd admit me."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
 Q48  V42
Send PM
chostein wrote:
Thanks guys.

i'll find out around the same time you do, since i'll be applying mostly round 1's too. my top choice is columbia, and since i plan to apply columbia ED it'll probably be my first app, and thus possibly my worst! :( so i'm struggling with this issue as well.

i think its fair to apply ED to multiple schools as long as once you hear a decision from 1 of them you immediately withdraw apps (as in before a decision is rendered on the other ED schools). that way you don't violate any agreement - unless they have some clause that says you can only apply to 1 ED school at a time.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
mba2013 wrote:
chostein wrote:
Thanks guys.

i'll find out around the same time you do, since i'll be applying mostly round 1's too. my top choice is columbia, and since i plan to apply columbia ED it'll probably be my first app, and thus possibly my worst! :( so i'm struggling with this issue as well.

i think its fair to apply ED to multiple schools as long as once you hear a decision from 1 of them you immediately withdraw apps (as in before a decision is rendered on the other ED schools). that way you don't violate any agreement - unless they have some clause that says you can only apply to 1 ED school at a time.

early decision is not something that's too common among the top schools. in fact, i think only Duke and Columbia have this in place
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink]
yeah those are the only two i'm aware of as well that have "binding" early decision.

i'll be applying to both, i think, so i'll have to juggle which one i aim for in the ED round.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
With the GMAT out of the way, I am a full 2.5hours into my essays. I have started just jotting down some stuff for one of the universal "Why MBA" questions.

So far my first thoughts are as organized as my girlfriend's shoe closet.......

It's early on, but I am already starting to see why people say the GMAT was only the beginning
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Add me to the list of class of 2013 hopefuls! I've already taken the GMAT, but I will probably put essays on hold until after CFA LIII in June. That still gives me at least 4 solid months to polish them. I've visited Kellogg and Booth, and I'm taking a trip out to NYC for the #140conf conference and to visit CBS and Stern in April. So that checks off GMAT, picking schools, and visiting them! In the meantime I'm going to do everything I can to beef up my profile.

Are any of you guys planning on using admissions consultants? Opinions?

Originally posted by Moss on 06 Mar 2010, 22:32.
Last edited by Moss on 21 Jul 2010, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
i have 'some' faith in the system. if i'm applying ED b/c i think i have a better chance at getting in that way, then i have to think that i won't back out of it if i get accepted. if i thought that alot of people could/would back out, then why would i apply? :) probably some circular logic in there..
Manager
Manager
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Is anyone visiting campuses in the spring? I thought I'd get a head start and visit my three top schools in April. I'm guessing class visits are off in the summer.
Current Student
Send PM
I'm visiting 3 of the schools I'm interested in in the next 3 weeks. Wanted to get a head start and get that step out of the way this spring.
Current Student
Send PM
Moss wrote:
Are any of you guys planning on using admissions consultants? Opinions?

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone is planning on using admissions consultants for all or part of the process. Are they worth the $$?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
considering it.

planning to wait until june/july before getting involved in any serious discussions abt hiring one. I did talk to one though and was very impressed by their offering. very realistic (as in, no guarantee to harvard) but at least someone who can make sure i am putting my best effort into the apps and keeping me from losing focus. having someone to keep me on track on schedule would probably be worth it for that alone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy / Operations
Schools:Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), <strong>Ivey+$$$</strong>
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration
Send PM
Sign me up for Class of 2013 ! Looking forward to a lively thread as things wind down with the 2012 applications. I visited a bunch of my initial school choices last summer, and the visit really helped to put the schools in perspective and cross a bunch off the list. Working on my generic goals/failure/etc essays at the moment.

Profile:

profile-eval-fall-2011-intake-91295.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
I visited a couple already and have a couple more scheduled for April. Started brainstorming for essays.
Manager
Manager
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Like mba2013, I want to have a go at the essays myself before considering hiring admissions consultants. My wife, a few select friends (one of who is in Ross) and a colleague in marketing will be the bulk of my reviewers. If we start early, we also have more time to perform several iterations of the essays. Are you folks starting with the Kellogg essays from last year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard,Stanford, MIT
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Portfolio manager
Send PM
I had a question: is there a maximum number of times that you can apply to a b-school? i was told by someone that you can apply to Harvard a maximum of three times in your academic career. Is it true? And how do top b-school look at re-applicants? Also, is it really advisable to reapply after just one year? I've read that most people are rejected because of low work experience. How true is this? And of course, as can be seen from my username, I am targeting a certain school:)
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
bump.

so southparker was a troll?

anyways, what is the class of 2013 planning to do this summer before apps start? GMAT, retake GMAT, classes, work, volunteer? just curious to see how we all plan on spending the next few months :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4