Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 20:27 It is currently 17 May 2024, 20:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Lv 3, Professional Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Marketing
Schools:Wharton (R2 Ding after interview), Booth (Ding after interview), Kellogg (R2 JD/MBA WL)
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Environmental Engineering Consultant
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2328 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Re: The "Going nowhere" Thread 2010 [#permalink]
I'm also in the same boat :(
I applied only in ISB (India). 740 GMAT, Masters in Computer Application 8.4 GPA (on a scale of 10) from one of the best institutes in India, 29, IT Indian Male, total 6 yrs exp, since last 3 yrs working as IT consultant in one of the biggest firm. Post MBA goal IT consultant

What I think I did wrong:
- IT/Indian/Male among whom the competition is more than fierce
- I was not very clear is Why MBA essay
- No recent awards
- Had taken few leadership initiatives, but just couple of months before my applications (tooooo bad!)
- Was not leading anyone directly in my office, though had been managing client very well. (I guess I was too much carried away being consultant)
Working to improve:
- Continue my ECs. I'm good at fine arts, so planning to take it further, but time seems to be flying faster. Nothing concrete till date.
- Part of interview panel in my office. Mentoring few junior resources as well.

Will be applying in ISB again this yr. Last time I was kindda over confident despite of so many weak areas. It was a lesson to me.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1683 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
luangm I would like to make 2 points :

1. Your goal as it stands is actually quite interesting and distinctive.But perhaps you need a better story that leads to that goal. i.e Why Environment protection ? Why China ? Why you? what drives and motivates YOU to this role (and no an estimated growth size of the industry is not enough) ? What have you already done that shows that you are working towards it ? Weave a magical and personal story. Show them the passion. And then show where Wharton fits in.

2. Secondly show your allround nature (not that I've seen your current essays). But so far I see great grades. Engineer numbers guy who works in engineering consulting and wants to move into an engineering related business who happens to possess a finance certification. Show how you are good with people. Show your other side. Balance out your package.

Your instropection posts are intersting. Keep up the good work in your essays and dont get married to the idea of studying at Wharton. There are SEVERAL other great schools that will help you achieve your aims.

luangm wrote:
Hey guys, many helpful (although sometimes conflicting) comments so far. Thanks!

I'm trying to gather some suggestions on my "Goal" for next year.

This year I applied with my stories about Environmental Protection businesses in China (est. $1 Trillion by 2030) and an anticipated Director role (which is basically business development as I have a strong network there) to my consulting firm's Shanghai Office after graduation. My recommendation letters from my supervisors highlighted those points with strong supports. And I've conveyed most of my ideas through the essays and interviews.

Arguably my future role is more about Marketing / Business Development / General Management type.
But is this a partial reason why I got dinged after interview at the top Finance schools (Booth & Wharton)? That I didn't show why I need an MBA from a Top finance school to do a BD/GM job?
And maybe a WL from Kellogg JD/MBA is that I didn't show why I need the JD? Arguably JD is very useful for my lobbying role for environmental change in China, since more regulations, more businesses for my firm.
And of course with my firm's work, people in China can enjoy a better standard of living (Compared to current horrible environment in Beijing and Shanghai), which is important to me personally (as my entire family are living there).

I have always believed to tell your true stories and I have told the truth with supports from recommenders. But it seems it's pretty difficult to show "Fit" to these top tier schools with heavy focus on IB/PE/HF/VC and MC, especially when you are not in those fields in the first place.

So I'm really puzzled...Should I "lie" about why I need an MBA? I could certainly talk a lot about "I'd like to switch a career to Equity Research Associate in the Mining and Metals or Oil and Gas sectors, and a Wharton MBA will help me get the training and contacts I need to become a successful Analyst in the future etc.", but working 16 hr days is not really something to look forward to post MBA. I have many close friends (Econ UG classmates) who are in IBs and Sales and Trading, and all told me the horror-stories about the 72hr no-shut-eye experiences.

Keeping in mind that the salary is not the question here. A $100,000 pay (or 700,000 RMB) in China is equivalent to a $300,000 pay in Canada, and maybe a $500,000 in NYC due to the huge difference in Cost of Living.

So guys, Please help me here? :beat Am I just really not "fit" for the best schools? Which T20 school is more "fit" for my background and goal? Should I settle for Rotman this year? I've already go through an interview with their dean and is pretty much a "in". But Rotman doesn't carry any weight at all in China. T7/Yale/Duke/Princeton/UC Berkeley etc. does.

And should I "Lie" about my intentions just to get into Wharton/Booth? I LOVE Wharton Campus and its network opportunities, and for Booth...well...it is THE "Chicago School" after all...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Add me in here. Profile is below :)

Will be starting my own post about my situation in a few weeks for some advice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
Kudos
cyrez8 wrote:

What do you need advice for? Per your signature "F2011 R1: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD(Full-Ride)" and your school colors, did you get in at "UCLA, USC, UCSD(Full-Ride)" and turned them all down? I am not sure I understand your post....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Haha...the advice will be regarding how to not get dinged at Stanford/Cal next time around! :)

Case2010 wrote:
cyrez8 wrote:

What do you need advice for? Per your signature "F2011 R1: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD(Full-Ride)" and your school colors, did you get in at "UCLA, USC, UCSD(Full-Ride)" and turned them all down? I am not sure I understand your post....
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
why reapply to the same 3 schools that accepted you the first time if you already turned them down once? why not just apply to stanford and haas this time around?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Because what happens if I get dinged again by Stanford and Haas?

Stanford, Haas and UCLA will probably be for R1. USC and UCSD for later rounds.

shadowsjc wrote:
why reapply to the same 3 schools that accepted you the first time if you already turned them down once? why not just apply to stanford and haas this time around?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
Kudos
cyrez8 wrote:

shadowsjc wrote:
why reapply to the same 3 schools that accepted you the first time if you already turned them down once? why not just apply to stanford and haas this
time around?
You are kidding right? What makes you think that after turning them this year, that they'd admit you again. Unless you defered with a strong reason, I doubt you'd get the same deals again...

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
cyrez8 wrote:

shadowsjc wrote:

based on precedent, i'd say you reapply to all of them again for 2012 :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Lol...nope, only going to give my dream (Stanford) one more shot and then I'd happily re-locate to LA for UCLA or attend Haas part time (applying to the PT program next year).

shadowsjc wrote:
cyrez8 wrote:

shadowsjc wrote:

based on precedent, i'd say you reapply to all of them again for 2012 :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Huh? I hope you are joking. Schools don't get offended when you turn them down and re-apply the next year. It is part of the process.

I have a start-up company and a part time patent prosecution law firm job lined up so I have valid "reasons" as well for holding off on my MBA for one more year.

Case2010 wrote:
cyrez8 wrote:

shadowsjc wrote:
why reapply to the same 3 schools that accepted you the first time if you already turned them down once? why not just apply to stanford and haas this
time around?
You are kidding right? What makes you think that after turning them this year, that they'd admit you again. Unless you defered with a strong reason, I doubt you'd get the same deals again...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Lv 3, Professional Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Marketing
Schools:Wharton (R2 Ding after interview), Booth (Ding after interview), Kellogg (R2 JD/MBA WL)
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Environmental Engineering Consultant
Send PM
Kudos
cyrez8 wrote:

Please, cyrez8, get off this thread, and take your story elsewhere.
This thread is to help people who didn't get into anywhere this year, and trying to gather up strength and support from all the self-denial, anxiety and discouragement. And to have more experienced/successful forum members to provide constructive criticism.
It is not designed to show off your "selectivity". If USC and UCSD is not your school of choice then why do you apply in the first place? Safety are supposed to have when you are willing to go, not to apply to just feel good.
You do understand that because they admitted you, another person on this planet is suffering in great pain because of the deny letter they received, and may have end up like me, got no where to go this year.
So again please, leave this thread for those who *actually* need help and criticisms.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Wow, um ok. So I didn't feel pain from getting rejected at my dream school?

1) I think your response is extremely rude.
2) I think you have an amazing profile and applied to only top 5 schools and should have applied to one top 10/20 school (like a UCLA/USC) and you would have definitely not been going nowhere. You chose only to apply to the best of the best.
3) I had no idea this thread was reserved for those that didn't get in anywhere. I think the title should be changed then since I'm not going anywhere either.

My apologies again for your pain but I really don't think it is constructive to treat fellow gmatclub users in this fashion.

luangm wrote:
cyrez8 wrote:

This thread is to help people who didn't get into anywhere this year, and trying to gather up strength and support from all the self-denial, anxiety and discouragement. And to have more experienced/successful forum members to provide constructive criticism.
It is not designed to show off your "selectivity". If USC and UCSD is not your school of choice then why do you apply in the first place? Safety are supposed to have when you are willing to go, not to apply to just feel good.
You do understand that because they admitted you, another person on this planet is suffering in great pain because of the deny letter they received, and may have end up like me, got no where to go this year.
So again please, leave this thread for those who *actually* need help and criticisms.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
Kudos
cyrez8 wrote:

And I had no idea this thread was reserved for those that didn't get in anywhere. I think the title should be changed then since I'm not going anywhere either.

while not explicitly stated anywhere, it would be reasonable to assume from the first few posts that this thread is for people who didnt get in anywhere, as opposed to those who self selected, so to speak. otherwise, what's to stop a 21 year old college student from posting "i'm not going anywhere guys..... but only because i wont apply till 2013?" or "i'm not going to b-school this year... i'm going to law school instead"

that being said, you can post anywhere you like, just keep in mind the general tone and sentiment of the people posting in the thread before you post.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Fair enough. I had zero intentions of "barging" in on a thread unrelated to me.

The original poster has also been WL at Kellogg and so there is still a chance that he/she may actually be admitted, correct?

Regardless, I will start a new thread for people like me I guess.

shadowsjc wrote:
cyrez8 wrote:

And I had no idea this thread was reserved for those that didn't get in anywhere. I think the title should be changed then since I'm not going anywhere either.

while not explicitly stated anywhere, it would be reasonable to assume from the first few posts that this thread is for people who didnt get in anywhere, as opposed to those who self selected, so to speak. otherwise, what's to stop a 21 year old college student from posting "i'm not going anywhere guys..... but only because i wont apply till 2013?" or "i'm not going to b-school this year... i'm going to law school instead"

that being said, you can post anywhere you like, just keep in mind the general tone and sentiment of the people posting in the thread before you post.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think you have a solid shot at UNC, Duke, Darden with a bit more WE so I wouldn't lower your bar at all.

wmcrockett wrote:
Hopping on board with this thread too, dinged from UVA and UNC and waitlisted at Duke. I'm also a *younger* applicant, 24 and graduated '07 from undergrad.

I think my biggest weakness, aside from being at my current job for less than 6 months at the time I applied, has been my profession - consumer lending/sales. In my current field, a high school education is essentially enough for employment. However, I was in a management training program at my previous job (same industry), and have good opportunities and the company I'm with now for leadership.

With my GMAT and GPA just being average (710, 3.4), I either need something to help stand out from the crowd, or look at possibly 2nd tier schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Kudos
luangm wrote:

I can't imagine that people skills could have been one of this guy's problems...

Seriously man, relax just a bit here. That seemed a bit out of place.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5