Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 21:58 It is currently 22 May 2024, 21:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Booth '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Re: Big Career Change -- Planning to do a Japanese FT MBA pgm [#permalink]
Well, I speak Japanese and have worked in Japan a bit. I can tell you going to a top program in the US holds a lot more weight generally ( even with japanese companies) then going to one of the Japanese schools. I am not sure what level your Japanese is, but if it is fairly basic right now you should count on more then a year of Japanese to get college ready. If you plan to apply to a Japanese program(by that I mean the regular japanese students program) ( some schools have English only program like McGillian), you generally need to pass level 1 of the Japanese language proficiency test to be considered for admissions.

Programs will hire foreigners, I have plenty of friends that work as headhunters, in investment bankers and many other fields in Japan, but most speak fluent or at least very good Japanese. (I do know of a few people in banking or accounting that know very little japanese) . I would personally recommend going to an American business school and take Japanese classes in addition to your normal business school course load, then maybe do an exchange in Japan.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey thanks for all the good info.

Yea, as for taking the GMAT; still have my books on order but once I start tearing through them I should get a good idea where I stand. By the sounds of it 3-4 months seems to be the average study time which is probably what I'll do.

Now the two reasons I am leaning more towards a Japanese MBA program (taught in English) is for the internship (seem most programs offer them) and the language study. I figure it would be much easier to network with companies in Japan if I were there, and also much easier for the language study living in it every day. I'm going to give some of the career placement offices a call to get a feel for where all their students are going as well.

The other question I have is about which type of MBA program? If most of my background has been with people/project management would pursuing a finance/accounting MBA waist my 10 years of work experience? Or should I stick to HR, and general management that better match my background? Also what about leveraging my BS in Physics, or MS in Atmospheric Sci? Is an MBA even appropriate for a person of my background?

Thanks much,

Rob
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V25
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
Since GMATclub helped me a lot, now it is my time to help out someone in this forum.

Rob, I think I am one of the right persons to ansewr your question because I am a 30 years old Japanese guy, working in the Investment Banking Department in a domestic securities firm. Plus I was a career switcher from private banking to investment banking several years back.

My bottom line is that it is not a right choice to seek Japanese MBA degree.
First, Japanese MBA programs are not accredited by AACSB except for Keio, Nagoya and Temple University Japan campus. It translates that most of the Japanese MBA programs don't meet the minimum requirement of what AACSB evaluates. I am not saying that their quality or fuculty of study are inferior in the world but they might be different from what you could learn from AACSB qualified schools.

Second, Japanese MBAs don't increase a chance to land in banking/accounting industry. Japanese companies prefer linguistic ability over MBA. I have a couple of foreign friends working in M&A in demestic I-banks. They've come from different industries such as electronics or telecommunication industry without MBA but they show strong command of Japanese and do some research jobs for their industry. In the meantime, I know there are several Japanese-free M&A bankers or Captal Markets bankers with MBA degrees from US top schools. You can apply to Japanese I-banks in the US after MBA and show your linguistic ability to transfer to Japan headquarters. Regarding accounting firms in Japan, they consider CPA licenses necessary than MBA degree.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks much for the good info and your time Yuskay!!! Yea that seems to be the overwhelming opinion.

Now if my ultimate goal was to enter the Japan job market (reason being: my wife is Japanese and would like to move back). Would it be better to do a 2-year intense Japanese language program in Tokyo first? Then perhaps try to get work directly after that in GM or something related to my current background? I feel that going from where I'm at right now (with no MBA, or finance training), the banking realm may be to big of a stretch.

Thanks much,

Rob
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Well, I haven't actually started my career, but for a long time I thought that I would become a speech-language pathologist or a communicative disorders assistant, but now I'm considering becoming a front end manager at the grocery store where I've worked for six years. We'll see what happens!
GMAT Club Bot