Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Intl Business, stratagy and entreperneurship
Schools:Sloan, Cornell, Insead and IMD
 Q48  V38
GPA: 78
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: Ranks and clusterings of various International b-schools [#permalink]
This listing is quite good.But I am sad about IMD.Check THE ECONOMIST MBA SCHOOL RATING.It is world's No.2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Is there a more specific definition for Trans Elite?

Regarding Imperial, I don't think it's known for its business programs. 'Tanaka' Business rides on Imperial's reputation in science and engineering. More reasons to believe that business education is not really 'real'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Looking into some b-schools around Asia since I want to work in either China or HK afterward.

Can anyone comment on the MBA programs in Tsinghua, CEIBS, HKUST, CUHK? Which one held more prestige and preferred by employers?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Would also appreciate if someone can share some links/info regarding MBA programs in Asia. It is surprisingly hard to find accurate information online.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
lonewolf wrote:
Looking into some b-schools around Asia since I want to work in either China or HK afterward.

Can anyone comment on the MBA programs in Tsinghua, CEIBS, HKUST, CUHK? Which one held more prestige and preferred by employers?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Would also appreciate if someone can share some links/info regarding MBA programs in Asia. It is surprisingly hard to find accurate information online.

I just came back from an exchange at the HKU MBA. Had a couple classmates at HKUST and CUHK.

As to my limited insights: I've never heard of Tsinghua. CEIBS is quite good, probably much better than CUHK. But HKUST is probably the strongest program of all schools you mention. Quite good and demanding classes according to my classmates. As a comparison, at HKU we were able to choose from 8 electives for our term (many of which we already took in our 1st year as part of the core classes). At HKUST it was more like 30+ electives to choose from.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone any views on SAIF in Shanghai?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Insead
Send PM
thanks for this. I found this post really useful. Kudos

on a different note, is anyone looking at INSEAD 2012 January intake? i know this is really soon but if anyone out there who is keen please let me know!

Scrat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
^^

What about York University's Schulich School of Business?

The school is ranked 8th in the world by The Economist, 6th non US MBA by Forbs, 1st in the world by Aspen's and number 50 something in the world by FT.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
York would be under regional elite section in Canada. I dug up some info on York here :
york-schulich-13628.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Thanks for the info, bsd_lover, very helpful!

First, a question. I'm looking at applying for the September 2011 intake to schools in Europe. My top choices are HEC Paris, EDHEC, Erasmus, and Imperial. I'm an engineer by schooling (B.S.) and occupation (water resources) and plan to stay in the engineering field upon completion.

I would like a global program that would allow me to excel both in Europe and in the US. Is it foolish to keep EDHEC and Erasmus as options? My mom lives in Holland and I speak Dutch, so this would be a special experience for me, but I don't want to jeopardize my career too much. Would love any advice.

Second, I have a couple of friends from France and UK and this was their advice when I asked about European b-schools in those two countries:

Best in France are HEC Paris, ESSEC, and ESC Paris, in that order. The only other alternative outside of Paris was EDHEC. Everything else, she said, is not worth the effort (if you're looking for a good international school). I do see INSEAD everywhere, so I'm surprised she wasn't familiar with them. Would you consider this more of a global b-school that happens to be in France and less of a French b-school that's globally recognized?

As for the UK, they said the best ones are Imperial, London Business School, and Oxford. Cambridge and Warwick were the second tier. They indicated that Cass is good, but not known outside the UK. They were familiar with Cranfield for their engineering program, but not their MBA program. Manchester was considered reasonable. They had never heard of Lancaster.

Understand that they have both lived most of their lives in Europe, so their view is probably regionally biased, but thought I would share the info.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
As far as "excelling" in both places, the education at most schools will give you the right tools to excel anywhere in the world. The more international schools provide a diverse crowd of students that promotes cultural sensitivity and insights into doing business in various regions. Also the case studies tend to focus on businesses around the world rather than being region specific. Look into where you want to work in the short term post MBA when you make the decision. For instance if you want to work in Holland, Erasmus is a strong regional brand that places well in Holland. The bigger names such as LBS and INSEAD give you more options into location post graduation.

BigRedEnvEng wrote:
Thanks for the info, bsd_lover, very helpful!

First, a question. I'm looking at applying for the September 2011 intake to schools in Europe. My top choices are HEC Paris, EDHEC, Erasmus, and Imperial. I'm an engineer by schooling (B.S.) and occupation (water resources) and plan to stay in the engineering field upon completion.

I would like a global program that would allow me to excel both in Europe and in the US. Is it foolish to keep EDHEC and Erasmus as options? My mom lives in Holland and I speak Dutch, so this would be a special experience for me, but I don't want to jeopardize my career too much. Would love any advice.

Second, I have a couple of friends from France and UK and this was their advice when I asked about European b-schools in those two countries:

Best in France are HEC Paris, ESSEC, and ESC Paris, in that order. The only other alternative outside of Paris was EDHEC. Everything else, she said, is not worth the effort (if you're looking for a good international school). I do see INSEAD everywhere, so I'm surprised she wasn't familiar with them. Would you consider this more of a global b-school that happens to be in France and less of a French b-school that's globally recognized?

As for the UK, they said the best ones are Imperial, London Business School, and Oxford. Cambridge and Warwick were the second tier. They indicated that Cass is good, but not known outside the UK. They were familiar with Cranfield for their engineering program, but not their MBA program. Manchester was considered reasonable. They had never heard of Lancaster.

Understand that they have both lived most of their lives in Europe, so their view is probably regionally biased, but thought I would share the info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I was surprised to see that Nyenrode is not present in regional elites. Nyenrode is the most respected b school in Netherlands. Though RSM is internationally well known, still Nyenrode brand beats RSM when it comes to reputation inside Netherlands.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks nyenrod if you could provide some further information - I will add it here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Well, this has been an interesting road to discovery. After sifting through a number of forums here, I decided that, based on multiple recommendations, I should take a closer look at the MBA programs out there and which would interest me the most. Two unexpected revelations:

1) I'm more certain than before that an MBA is what I want to pursue. This is a good thing, so I'm very glad I went through the process.

2) The more surprising revelation, and reason I'm posting this in this thread, is that my original list of schools has been replaced in its entirety.

So the reason I'm coming to all of you is to see if there are other schools out there that I should look into that are similar to these:

IMD
Warwick
Nyenrode
Cranfield
Cambridge

Some potential candidates that are on the maybe list are:

EDHEC
Erasmus

The schools that have been almost definitely booted are:

HEC Paris
University College Dublin
SDA Bocconi
Imperial College
St. Gallen

I'm still sorting out in my head what the ideal program would have, but here are some thoughts:

I don't want a program that's heavily focused on entrepreneurship, finance, or consulting.
I like the schools that have more unique programs. Like the For Beyond Profit concentration at Cambridge, the International Leadership focus area at Nyenrode, or the Social Responsibility focus at IMD.
I also appreciate the schools that have an interesting project that either takes you international (3 international trips at Nyenrode or 1-month trip at IMD) or really makes you think and work outside the box (start-up project at IMD or the management consultancy project at Warwick).

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions...thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
Schools:IMD, HEC
 Q49  V38
Send PM
IMD is definitely Ultra Elite
Intern
Intern
Schools:IE
WE 1: IT Consultancy
WE 2: Public Gov Sector
Send PM
LBS, INSEAD and IMD should be UE
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I'd appreciate some constructive reasoning behind any assertions. Please read page 1 of this thread where I outlined the reasons why I put schools in their respective buckets.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
tmino wrote:
lonewolf wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I just came back from an exchange at the HKU MBA. Had a couple classmates at HKUST and CUHK.

As to my limited insights: I've never heard of Tsinghua. CEIBS is quite good, probably much better than CUHK. But HKUST is probably the strongest program of all schools you mention. Quite good and demanding classes according to my classmates. As a comparison, at HKU we were able to choose from 8 electives for our term (many of which we already took in our 1st year as part of the core classes). At HKUST it was more like 30+ electives to choose from.

Tsinghua is famous in China . It's got that pedigree which I think CEIBS lacks and hence within China , Tsinghua will get more value than CEIBS. It fits exactly into regional elite category. BTW , if I remember correctly INSEAD has some tie up with Tsinghua for EMBA.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7