Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:43 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Underwriter (Health Care)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Operation GMAT **(unclassified)** [#permalink]
vwjetty wrote:
ok well to reply, thanks for the compliments here's what I've done and it helped me out a lot.

Manhattan GMAT series. Do every book religiously. Then after you're done with all 8, redo them. I had the OG11 complimentary ones so after I finished I went right into the OG 12 and did the problems in them (except for the diagnostics...just didn't feel like it haha)
OG 11 & 12 - MUST HAVE.
Kaplan Premier & 800. There are some overlap between the two but I think it comes with a lot of extra problems.
Would you recommend the reading/concepts or the extra practice problems?
OG Verbal & OG Quant - DO THEM.
Then I did one GMATprep test.
Then hit the manhattan CAT's. I prefer them over the Kaplan's - I think they're way out of scope but that's just me.
Then do the last GMATprep test.
Now I'm just focusing on trying to refresh old notes and thoughts so they all come back to me seeing as how i scored a 650 I'm just trying to not forget anything until I take the test on the 18th.

I started June 1st. Don't overload - it will backfire. had that happen to me, and then I banged out a 430 =( lesson learned.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
vwjetty wrote:
ok well to reply, thanks for the compliments here's what I've done and it helped me out a lot.

Manhattan GMAT series. Do every book religiously. Then after you're done with all 8, redo them. I had the OG11 complimentary ones so after I finished I went right into the OG 12 and did the problems in them (except for the diagnostics...just didn't feel like it haha)
OG 11 & 12 - MUST HAVE.
Kaplan Premier & 800. There are some overlap between the two but I think it comes with a lot of extra problems.
OG Verbal & OG Quant - DO THEM.
Then I did one GMATprep test.
Then hit the manhattan CAT's. I prefer them over the Kaplan's - I think they're way out of scope but that's just me.
Then do the last GMATprep test.
Now I'm just focusing on trying to refresh old notes and thoughts so they all come back to me seeing as how i scored a 650 I'm just trying to not forget anything until I take the test on the 18th.

I started June 1st. Don't overload - it will backfire. had that happen to me, and then I banged out a 430 =( lesson learned.

so you got about 1.5 weeks. try to concentrate on fixing your problem areas and refrain from overloading. Relax couple of days before test and good luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Dawgie, yes...everything helps. Granted that problems in there are harder than expected I think do cover all the basis fairly well and requires you to do more. I like their Math and Verbal refreshers. Although they are not so much in dept as the Manhattan ones are they do just a pretty good summary in just the few pages provided.

shaselai, kudo's for thinking what I'm thinking =)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
vwjetty wrote:
Dawgie, yes...everything helps. Granted that problems in there are harder than expected I think do cover all the basis fairly well and requires you to do more. I like their Math and Verbal refreshers. Although they are not so much in dept as the Manhattan ones are they do just a pretty good summary in just the few pages provided.

vwjetty,

Do you think Starcraft 2 has helped your quant ability in the recent months?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
vwjetty wrote:

vwjetty,

of course. analytical abilities certainly helps. plus number crunching.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
Dawgie wrote:
vwjetty wrote:

vwjetty,

of course. analytical abilities certainly helps. plus number crunching.

You crunched numbers in SC2? No wonder you are 49Q!
Current Student
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
You crunched numbers in SC2? No wonder you are 49Q!

not as good as them koreans
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So I did some more reading and note-taking in the Number Properties book (studying). It seems to be clicking a little more. The only thing that I'm not seeing, at least not now, is how is this material going to translate into doing well on the quantitative section of the test. I'm sure that it is building on a foundation, but at this point, I just can't really see it. I attempted a "sub-600" level quant question today that dealt with probabilities, and I didn't know where to start. I'm staying optimistic though. On a side note, I'm doing verbal questions in the verbal question forum during the day (while I'm supposed to be working). I think that I've identified my weakness, which is Sentence Correction. It isn't a glaring weakness, but compared to me getting almost 4 out of every 5 CR right, I think this is my weakest verbal area. I feel that I'll do well in verbal, so I'm really, really, REALLY trying to get my quant up to at least a 49. That's about it for the night. I might do another verbal problem or two before I go to bed, but I'm watching the football game as well.

VW and Dawgie,

Any of you play Call of Duty? I've had to take a break due to studying, but I might still sneak some gametime in there in between sessions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Doing the mgmat books really helps in applying the knowledge while doing quant questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Womiwom wrote:
So I did some more reading and note-taking in the Number Properties book (studying). It seems to be clicking a little more. The only thing that I'm not seeing, at least not now, is how is this material going to translate into doing well on the quantitative section of the test. I'm sure that it is building on a foundation, but at this point, I just can't really see it. I attempted a "sub-600" level quant question today that dealt with probabilities, and I didn't know where to start. I'm staying optimistic though. On a side note, I'm doing verbal questions in the verbal question forum during the day (while I'm supposed to be working). I think that I've identified my weakness, which is Sentence Correction. It isn't a glaring weakness, but compared to me getting almost 4 out of every 5 CR right, I think this is my weakest verbal area. I feel that I'll do well in verbal, so I'm really, really, REALLY trying to get my quant up to at least a 49. That's about it for the night. I might do another verbal problem or two before I go to bed, but I'm watching the football game as well.

VW and Dawgie,

Any of you play Call of Duty? I've had to take a break due to studying, but I might still sneak some gametime in there in between sessions.

I'm still on break too due to studying, when I get back I'm going to SC2 no doubt.
Current Student
Send PM
call of duty... i guess if you like online then maybe. the story so short...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
call of duty... i guess if you like online then maybe. the story so short...

Yeah, I only play it online.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Schools:Duke - Fuqua
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
Womiwom wrote:

VW and Dawgie,

I understand where you are coming from in regard to the Numbers Properties book. It isn't exactly going to be a direct relation in questions you will likely face on the GMAT so much as understanding the underlying principals of the questions. What this means is that understanding the properties of the numbers in the GMAT questions allows you to better understand what they are asking and also how to use the strategies in the MGMAT books to solve the questions. As an example, if you are asked to find some number, the question says it's an integer (or prime, or even, you get the idea), you can take this and, with your understanding of number properties, quickly eliminate some of the answer choices, or to just quickly calculate the correct answer. I have found that I am doing questions so quickly that I'm starting to wonder if they are really asking me what it looks like. I'm starting to doubt myself as the answers are sometimes coming so quickly that I don't even write the information down. It just pops into my head. Keep in mind that this was NOT the case 6 weeks ago when I started studying. Back then I was writing copious notes and calculating everything. As others have posted on here, the Numbers Properties book is incredibly useful.

Also, I'll be honest and say that some areas are still difficult for me. I answer the advanced probability questions correct only part of the time. This is also true for combinatorics. I can only invest so much time on each area so I'm happy that I have a strong grasp of almost all of the topics. As you can see with some users, they scored high even when there were a couple sections that they were weak in. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I understand where you are coming from in regard to the Numbers Properties book. It isn't exactly going to be a direct relation in questions you will likely face on the GMAT so much as understanding the underlying principals of the questions. What this means is that understanding the properties of the numbers in the GMAT questions allows you to better understand what they are asking and also how to use the strategies in the MGMAT books to solve the questions. As an example, if you are asked to find some number, the question says it's an integer (or prime, or even, you get the idea), you can take this and, with your understanding of number properties, quickly eliminate some of the answer choices, or to just quickly calculate the correct answer. I have found that I am doing questions so quickly that I'm starting to wonder if they are really asking me what it looks like. I'm starting to doubt myself as the answers are sometimes coming so quickly that I don't even write the information down. It just pops into my head. Keep in mind that this was NOT the case 6 weeks ago when I started studying. Back then I was writing copious notes and calculating everything. As others have posted on here, the Numbers Properties book is incredibly useful.

Also, I'll be honest and say that some areas are still difficult for me. I answer the advanced probability questions correct only part of the time. This is also true for combinatorics. I can only invest so much time on each area so I'm happy that I have a strong grasp of almost all of the topics. As you can see with some users, they scored high even when there were a couple sections that they were weak in. Good luck![/quote]

Vince,

So have you taken any CAT's since you've started to figure things out quicker? I'm trying to see the correlation between what you've learned from your starting point. It sounds like you're almost ready to schedule your exam, no?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Schools:Duke - Fuqua
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
VinceCPA wrote:

Also, I'll be honest and say that some areas are still difficult for me. I answer the advanced probability questions correct only part of the time. This is also true for combinatorics. I can only invest so much time on each area so I'm happy that I have a strong grasp of almost all of the topics. As you can see with some users, they scored high even when there were a couple sections that they were weak in. Good luck!

Womiwom wrote:
Vince,

So have you taken any CAT's since you've started to figure things out quicker? I'm trying to see the correlation between what you've learned from your starting point. It sounds like you're almost ready to schedule your exam, no?

I'm scoring in the low 700's at this point. I seem to have no problems with the easier questions, miss almost no 600 - 700 level questions, and do ok on the 700 - 800 questions. I'm looking at scheduling pretty soon, I just want to finish up a few more sections in prep. It really is amazing how easy some of the questions become after you get used to the pattern. I think the best thing I can say for all of the practice is that you start to recognize exactly what they are asking for, which is half the battle for me. Once I know what they are asking and what sort of problem it is, I usually have a very good idea of what strategy I need to use in order to find the answer.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Alright, so I'm wading into the OG12th problems now. I don't know if the questions are still supposed to be fairly difficult after reading the Number Properties guide, but they still are pretty tough. I'm going to work on some more of the problems tonight, with a little MNF intermission. Sorry for the infrequent posts. I don't want to post that I'm still reading, or that I didn't get as much studying done today as I would have liked to. I figure the members of this forum want to hear the positive results.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I made a mistake in the first problems that I attempted. I started on the wrong page number according to the Number Properties guide. I did them yesterday, and they weren't bad at all. It was pretty encouraging for me to be able to apply the concepts that I've learned so far.

On a side note,

I'm here at work and I just finished the SC questions in the GMAT prep. 10 correct out of 15 isn't bad for not studying SC yet. I'm going to do the RC next and see how that goes.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts