Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [23]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46) [#permalink]
Excellent score. I am interested to see your work on SC and RC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
NewSc2 wrote:
Just wanted to report back in. I've been on these forums for the past few months, asking dumb questions and generally doing badly on the SC/CR forums, but regardless—I took the test today and got a 770 (Q50, V46). I don't want to come off as contrite, but I was actually aiming for a 780. My last 6 GMATPrep/MGMAT scores were 780, 770, 780, 780, 790, 780. But I'll take the result happily, and give myself a couple days off before I start working on applications.

I have a (very) long post prepared [strike]for[/strike] on strategies and experience, but I'm about to grab [strike]a few[/strike] several beers with some friends tonight, and I'm late. For now though—thanks GMATClub! You've been a tremendous help.

wow !! what a score ,but still saying BUT....

Congrats!! awaiting for your debrief. I m keen to know how you improved SC/CR.

Haha, quick aside: "But" (to start a sentence) is acceptable in standard American colloquialism. In fact, starting sentences with "and" or "but" is not only acceptable, but preferred in many cases of communication*. Effective communication > "correct" communication (a la William Zinsser's "On Writing Well"). This is also why I had such a hard time transitioning to GMAT grammar, but in the end I worked out my kinks.

EDIT: *This is advice you should NOT take when studying for the GMAT. But it's good advice overall ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
hey congrats...wonderful.....waiting eagerly for your debrief.....perfect splits....all the best ahead
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&amp;Gas
Send PM
Kudos
Fantabulous Scoro.. But now
760 = Q51 V41
770 = Q50 V46

I think I have seen that 760 split before. So -1 in Q = +5 in V? I guess going from 50 to 51 in Q is harder than going from 41 to 46 in V.. Does not make sense..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
mainhoon wrote:
760 = Q51 V41
770 = Q50 V46

I think I have seen that 760 split before. So -1 in Q = +5 in V? I guess going from 50 to 51 in Q is harder than going from 41 to 46 in V.. Does not make sense..

I just edited my post to show my detailed analysis of the scoring, and the many GMATPrep results I got. I scored Q51 a few times, and I thought I got a Q51 on the real GMAT. V41 to V46 for me was not at all difficult—once you understand how Verbal works, you basically internalize the answers. SC is a little technical but practice irons out the kinks. In order to do well on quant you have to memorize many shortcuts and rules, comb/prob, DS inequalities and ratios, work out DS overlapping sets (ugh), etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Good score! HBS will welcome you for sure! :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46) [updated] [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
I will stress this repeatedly... All of you who write in shorthand—stop it. Practice correct grammar in everything that you write. That includes these GMATClub posts. Do not say "Pls kudos me." It's "I would appreciate a kudos." Do not say "gr8 score!" say, "wow, you did really well!" I cannot stress this enough—you NEED to integrate SC into every part of your life. I would be dozing off to bed, thinking to myself "man, that girl's dress was really cute today, I wonder if we have a chance." "wait a minute, is it 'we may have a chance,' or is it 'we will have a chance'? no... i think the way i initially said it was right." Yes, this is the craziness I endured, but eventually SC became second nature.

Cannot agree more. Personally, though I am only halfway through my preparation for the GMAT, if at all that, I find that SC is the easiest for me, because I've been a grammar Nazi all my life. People used to make fun of me in high school when I'd point out to the seemingly trivial errors. But all those years of studying grammar helped. I have a natural tendency to pick the right answer for most SC questions.

But, I agree with what you said. You cannot have a mental divide - talk in SMS-speak 90% of the time, and expect to get to the GMAT and be Shakespeare all of a sudden. Consistency is important and I think the more you resort to short-hand speak, the easier it becomes for a wrong answer choice to sound right.

Great debrief and congratulations. Now, go attend to those imaginary girls ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Quote:
Strategy:

Overall:
Because I'm a musician at heart (not by trade, I like my steady salary thank you), I'll say this. I'm proficient at the piano (used to compete), took a few years of guitar lessons, and have been learning electronic music and music production over the past several years. When you approach a musical instrument, there are a few steps you need to consider. First, you need to learn the basics—scales for piano, chords for guitar, stance, technical ability of DAW software, etc. You then learn songs, and integrate the basics into results. After you start to get proficient with songs, you finally encroach onto the advanced categories—the muscle memory. This is key. If you ever watch an amateur violinist, vs. a professional, you'll see that the professional expresses himself effortlessly. Everything is casual, unconstrained. The amateur is clenching his or her shoulder unnecessarily, and you can almost hear it in the strings, even though you can't pinpoint how the shoulder, or knee, or whatever, is affecting their rhythm.

You need to learn the basics of the GMAT (through MGMAT guides, for me), then apply the basics onto practical examples (OG), and then transcend these two to really grasp how the GMAT thinks and determines what a correct answer is.

Great score and a even great debrief :-D

Congrats and good luck for your next steps.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
wow
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&amp;Gas
Send PM
NewSc2 wrote:
mainhoon wrote:
760 = Q51 V41
770 = Q50 V46

I just edited my post to show my detailed analysis of the scoring, and the many GMATPrep results I got. I scored Q51 a few times, and I thought I got a Q51 on the real GMAT. V41 to V46 for me was not at all difficult—once you understand how Verbal works, you basically internalize the answers. SC is a little technical but practice irons out the kinks. In order to do well on quant you have to memorize many shortcuts and rules, comb/prob, DS inequalities and ratios, work out DS overlapping sets (ugh), etc.

Great score. But I don't quite get the GMAT scoring method. I think that +1V is more difficult than +1Q, so +5V should have got you much more than losing -1Q, don't know...
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
One of the best debriefs I have ever seen!! +1

You have made tremendous improvement. After looking at your scores and strategies, I feel I can also come up strongly on the D-Day.

Thanks for the wonderful post. Keep us updated with your future endeavors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Engineering~Finance
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
Wow! Thank you for sharing such a riveting account of your GMAT journey
Intern
Intern
Send PM
On a side, did you see any combinatorics and probabilty questions in the exams? I've just completed my first pass through all the 5 Math and SC manhattan guides, but I also bought the Veritas Combinatorics& Probabilty textbook because of the good things I hear about it here. But now I'm so pressed for time, that I'm not so sure of the returns of spending the extra 8 or so odd hours reading another guide, focusing solely on a limited concept that may not appear on the exams. What do u think?

Originally posted by smuvern on 09 Oct 2010, 06:42.
Last edited by smuvern on 09 Oct 2010, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Congratulations! I don't know whey but I find your debrief inspiring, :)
All the best for the application process
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Fantastic feedback!

NewSc2 wrote:
After finishing up the MGMAT, and doing several MGMAT CAT's, I went ahead and started the OG12. Up to this point, I'd only used the OG Quant and OG Verbal in my MGMAT practice studies, and I highly recommend this policy of leaving the OG12 last. You need some OG problems to work alongside the MGMAT books, but you also get better perspective of the GMAT when you're focusing on a full set of 50-100 questions.

Crap! I whish I had done that since the beginning of my preparation. I have now run out of all my OG12 problems, so if I use Quant and Verbal review I'll be exposed to easier problems.

Moreover I also think that doing 40 problems in a row helps something click in one's head. For me it was CR. I used PowerScore's book which has its own set of problems, then I attacked OG12 CR problems 40 by 40, and as I was advancing in the problems I began to see the light. Now I'm fairly good in CR when I used to be only average.

I wonder if OG Quant and Verbal could still be of any help? I have two and a half weeks left before test day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
^^Yeah, but who says you cant practice with the OG12 more than once? I've worked through the entire OG12 once, like you have, but I also plan to attack the final third of the SC, PS and DS OG12 material again after I exhaust all the non official questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Yeah you're right, I should be fine redoing the exercises, and I'm sure I'll fail in places where I already failed previously :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts