Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 17:25 It is currently 04 May 2024, 17:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Berkeley Haas School of Business [#permalink]
mysteryman: when classes start again in September, post here and one of us will give you some recommendations. I generally would recommend a marketing class as they have more discussions. International Marketing, Channels of Distribution, Marketing Strategy are all good classes to try.

medusa101: Haas has probably one of the highest average ages, with many people over 30. It all depends on your career progression, what you want to do after the MBA, and what you've done so far in your life. Each case is unique and there is no way to generalize. But compared to many top schools out there, you are probably not at a disadvantage because of your age.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Kellogg 2013
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kryzak, you're a heck of an ambassador...Haas wasn't even on my radar before reading this thread and now I think it's one of my top choices. I'm not sure why I haven't looked at it before but it fits really well with what I'm seeking in a program.

Also: first post! Hi, GC!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1486 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Hi Haas Ambassadors
Thank you very much for all the post you've written here. They have provided me with a lot of useful information about Haas.

From what I have read, Haas provides with quite a few resources for sustainability.
I'm very interested in that field but from an IT point of view. I'd like to center my career in Green IT direction and I was wondering whether the sustainability courses provide with insights about that specific subject or whether there are any other courses outside Haas I could take.

As for the short term goals, I was thinking of joining a tech consulting firm such as Accenture or Deloitte since they provide with some Green IT consulting. Do you know other
companies that recruit at companies focused on Green IT? My long term goal is to become a CIO.

Thank you very much in advanced.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1486 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
I forgot to ask how important do you think is to visit the school. I live in Europe and I was thinking visiting the schools I'm interested in MIT, Kellogg, and Haas but I can only take two weeks holiday and it will be a lot of traveling just to visit the schools. Would you say that visiting the school increases your opportunities?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
I forgot to ask how important do you think is to visit the school. I live in Europe and I was thinking visiting the schools I'm interested in MIT, Kellogg, and Haas but I can only take two weeks holiday and it will be a lot of traveling just to visit the schools. Would you say that visiting the school increases your opportunities?

Haas asks you to write an essay about what you did to learn more about their school. Certainly a visit would help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Been on travel, sorry for the late replies.

As for visiting, there is no requirement to visit. There is an essay to talk about how you learned about the school, which you can do by visiting in person or contacting students through the club websites or alumni in your local area.

As for Green IT, it's not an area I'm familiar with unfortunately...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Hi Lauren,Kryzak ,

Can you tell me more about the compulsory Experiential course? Which one did you take and how did you find it ?
Specifically , can you help provide what you have heard about the following 3 experiential courses :
->International Business Devleopment
->HAAS@ work
->Managing new product development

@Lauren - you mentioned that you were involved in Marketing club. Can you tell more about the events and activities organised by marketing club ? Are there case competitions focused on marketing ? I am aiming to switch to marketing from operations within my current industry (mobile phones). Do you know of alumni working in marketing function in the mobile phone industry ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Is it difficult to get into the S3 class?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi Haas ppl,

I am an international student and planning to apply for Round 3 (Deadline - Jan 20th 2011) for fall 2011 admissions. I thought that there are only 3 rounds of admission.

I have heard like International students should submit their applications in Round 2 itself and chances are very less in Round 3. i am not aware of 4 rounds of admission.

Can you please clarify what are my chances if i apply in Round 3( deadline - Jan 20th ).

Looking forward for your response.

thanx in advance.......
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
method wrote:
Is it difficult to get into the S3 class?

not quite sure, but it is an application process and you can email hsa@haas.berkeley.edu to see if you can talk to a student who is in S3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
 Q49  V41
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Send PM
Hi Kryzak,

Could you please explain about 'Student-initiated elective courses' at Haas? Are these courses similar to the courses tought by profs? Does the list of these courses change every semester and how does new courses get into this list?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Hi kryzak
I am an Indian applicant. I need to find out if I can get a TOEFL waiver. I have posted my question on the adcom message board but have not heard back yet. Can you suggest some other way to request a waiver? Moreover, I am extremely interested in Haas but because I started the application process pretty late, I was not able to go beyond website for information on Haas. So, I decided to wait till R2. I am interested in entrepreneurship and sustainability. Can you please tell me about relevant courses or projects for these areas?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
ballubalraj wrote:
Hi Kryzak,

Could you please explain about 'Student-initiated elective courses' at Haas? Are these courses similar to the courses tought by profs? Does the list of these courses change every semester and how does new courses get into this list?

Thanks.

Can you send me a link where you read that? I could think of different things that fit that description and want to make sure I'm answering the right question. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
rkn wrote:
Hi kryzak
I am an Indian applicant. I need to find out if I can get a TOEFL waiver. I have posted my question on the adcom message board but have not heard back yet. Can you suggest some other way to request a waiver? Moreover, I am extremely interested in Haas but because I started the application process pretty late, I was not able to go beyond website for information on Haas. So, I decided to wait till R2. I am interested in entrepreneurship and sustainability. Can you please tell me about relevant courses or projects for these areas?

Best way is to call them. The phone number is here:
https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/contact.html

I believe it's pretty strict about who can get the TOEFL waiver.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
rkn wrote:
Hi kryzak

Best way is to call them. The phone number is here:
https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/contact.html

I believe it's pretty strict about who can get the TOEFL waiver.

Hope that helps!

Hey rkn, I did ask the AdCom about this in a chat. TOEFL cannot be waived for Indian applicants as it is required by the University of California - Berkeley. Haas School of Business has to comply to that policy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
 Q49  V41
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
ballubalraj wrote:
Hi Kryzak,

Thanks.

Can you send me a link where you read that? I could think of different things that fit that description and want to make sure I'm answering the right question. :)

I read that in Veritas Prep annual report of Haas. The report says:
Quote:
Elective Courses Initiated by Haas Students
Student-initiated elective courses are a tradition at Haas. Every semester, Haas
offers several courses that are initiated and run by students with faculty guidance.
Typically, such courses focus on a specific theme or industry. Recent studentinitiated
courses include:
• Social Entrepreneurship
• Life as an Entrepreneur
• The Private Equity Deal
• Real Estate Speaker Series
• Microfinance
• Careers in Marketing
• Wine Industry
• Investment Speaker Series
• Careers in Sports
• Careers in Consulting
• Biobusiness Speaker Series
• Product Management
• Topics in Technology
• Private Philanthropy
• Alternative Energy Speaker Series
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
 Q36  V31 GMAT 2: 730  Q48  V42
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Send PM
Hi kryzak

I ended up on this thread from a post you made about waitlist best practices. You are indeed a great ambassador!!

I applied R2 this year and just learned that I am waitlisted. As I didn't get an interview invite yet, I take this as very good news! Another chance to prove Haas that I am a good fit with the school's culture :)

Did you enter Haas through waitlist? If you did, or even if you didn't, I would love to have your advice on my WL strategy...

Here's my profile high level:
Female / 26 yrs / 730 GMAT / 3 yrs work exp in France travel industry sales and marketing roles / 3 yrs work exp in UK financial industry marketing roles / decent leadership experiences / goal post MBA: get into sustainability area through consulting initially

I obviously first need to schedule my interview and prepare very well for it. Do you think it would help my application if I travelled to Berkeley for the interview?

Then, I have a few people in mind to write one or two additional recommendation letters (from peers, including someone who went to Haas 2 yrs ago).
I also want to write a note about my recent professional changes, I was promoted and joined the organizing committee of an internal network.

What are your thoughts? Any other advice?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can bring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9