Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 11:28 It is currently 23 May 2024, 11:28
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:
How creative did you guys get with the "If you could create any class, what would it be" question?

One of my ideas is not too creative, but it ties in with what I want to do (social enterprise), however it might be seen as a little critical of MBA's. The second idea is more creative (ie kind of out there), and it relates more to innovation.

I dont think mine was very creative, but it was very specific in regards to combining existing disciplines into a unique course. The course also ties heavily into my professional and personal goals. A buddy who proofread my essays said it was the strongest essay in my Wharton app, but who knows.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
How creative did you guys get with the "If you could create any class, what would it be" question?

One of my ideas is not too creative, but it ties in with what I want to do (social enterprise), however it might be seen as a little critical of MBA's. The second idea is more creative (ie kind of out there), and it relates more to innovation.

In my opinion, the essay topics are designed to get a deeper view of you. You as a candidate, what you bring to the classroom, and how deeply you have thought about your future. I think the originality of the topic matters less than the view this essay can provide of your skills, ideas, strengths, experience and values. The second most important part of this is how well do you really know Wharton. Pick a topic that gives them a view of you, just as much as it does of your ideas, and make sure to get to know the program so you can explain why your idea/experience is different and why it would be valuable to your classmates.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:

I think I would pick the one that is more representative of the actual question - which one you would create - keyword: you. As MBAgirl said, it's to get a deeper understanding of you.

Since I already applied in R1, I'll give you my example. I work in the theme park industry - in a seasonal park (we are closed half the year). My undergrad was in Business, but I never found a class that dealt with the challenges of running a seasonal operation. We hire and terminate a staff of two thousand every year (as well as train, promote, and evaluate them). We break down and rebuild much of the infrastructure annually. It brings with it a lot of difficult problems that I have only learned to deal with from my work experience. I talked about how I wanted to take a class in Seasonal Operation Management to learn how other seasonal businesses (ski industry, resorts, etc.) deal with the same problems. I gave some examples of problems I faced, how I dealt with them, and how they were different from management in other industries.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
I agree with MBAgirl and uprightCitizen.. context and personalization would trump creativity - I would suggest you write about whichever topic is most relevant in your particular situation. I basically wrote on a topic I personally wanted to address during my MBA. Although I'm just worried that it might potentially already be covered through different elements of the MBA program - its difficult to say how unique the topic needs to be - guess I'll find out soon enough!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Having both qualities of creativity and substance will obviously help make your essay stand apart. Why don't you try to appeal to both qualities then?

If, on the other hand, you will sacrifice content just for the sake of creativity, then I suggest you rethink your strategy on attempting this question.

For me, my whole working life has been about risk management (in the context of financial bubbles, manias, etc.), but I added a spin to it and added something creative. My theme is also about "history never repeats, but it surely rhymes." I'm just going to leave it at there about my story, but you get my point...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
"history never repeats, but it surely rhymes" - nice!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mark twain?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Very excellent insight guys, I appreciate it. I think I was approaching the question incorrectly, so I'm going to start a rewrite. This Wharton crowd is great, hahah
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
This Wharton crowd is great, hahah

It's enjoyable being on these forums knowing that all these smart folks will be our classmates eventually (hopefully)!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
are you guys on the west coast? it's the wee hours of the morning on the east :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
11 pm here :P

yup, west coast... checking work emails, and catching up on some late night reading (online of course).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS(R1) ding, Wharton(R1) invite, INSEAD(R1)invite, LBS(R1)invite
Send PM
Anyone expecting updates tomorrow? I'm wondering whether the online system will be updated and the email will follow :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
What a ridiculous Page 19. An utter waste of forum space and, what is infinitely more important, time!

There are two cardinal rules of partaking in a forum:

Rule #1: Respect the "Internets"
Rule #2: Don't forget Rule #1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
co2012 wrote:
What a ridiculous Page 19. An utter waste of forum space and, what is infinitely more important, time!

There are two cardinal rules of partaking in a forum:

Rule #1: Respect the "Internets"
Rule #2: Don't forget Rule #1

Nothing better to do in this forum....just a waiting game til Friday at this point...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yup, we're just filling the void. It beats staring at the same posts (f5 f5 f5 refresh refresh).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
adalfu wrote:
Yup, we're just filling the void. It beats staring at the same posts (f5 f5 f5 refresh refresh).

I feel you guys! Sorry for being rude :D

Oh, on a side note....Paul the Octopus died yesterday. I guess my sports betting career just came to a screeching halt. RIP Paul, you're my boy Paul!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 2 Years Consulting
Send PM
Actually we were on topic, prepping for my Wharton new course essay on "The Microeconomics of Internet Flame Wars".
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20  ...  167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts