Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 10:41 It is currently 02 May 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q40  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: 2011 Master of Accounting / Taxation applicants UNITE! [#permalink]
I wouldn't place your bets on getting into a BB Ibank or consulting from the MPA. Any example of it will be an exception, and not the rule.
Intern
Intern
 Q40  V44
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
I wouldn't place your bets on getting into a BB Ibank or consulting from the MPA. Any example of it will be an exception, and not the rule.

I agree. I would also say the same about getting into transaction advisory groups. I have also heard (granted, not directly from individuals doing this, so take it for what it's worth) that for the few who do start out in transaction advisory straight from undergrad, that it's not all it's cracked out to be and that you're probably better off starting out in audit or advisory for a few years before you move into transactions. And that's not saying that transaction work itself isn't a good place to be, just that the staff/associate-level work is a far cry from what you would expect/hope for.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well as I said, Big 4 is the path of least resistance. The % going into finance from the 5-year sequence weren't many, but it is possible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
 Q40  V44
Send PM
Kudos
While we're on the subject of discussing alternatives to the typical external audit/tax route, I'll give a shout out to my current school's (Louisiana State University) Internal Audit program. https://www.bus.lsu.edu/centers/cia/

I'm wrapping up my last semester in the program right now as an undergrad, but you can also take it as part of the graduate program. The program is considered the premiere internal audit program in the world (it was actually started back in the 80's as the pilot school by the IIA). It places very well into Big 4 advisory roles as well as F500 internal audit positions. LSU's tuition costs are also extremely cheap and they're in the process of constructing a brand new business building, so it's got a lot going for it.

If anyone has any questions, send me a message and I'd be happy to answer them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I'll post what I have for now, although this may change.

Program: MAcc
Applying to: USC, San Jose State, Cal State-LA, Cal State-Fullerton, UCLA (Ph.D.)
GMAT: Practice test was 710 (Q49 / V38), taking officially in November
GPA: 3.45 (from Top 10 school, non-accounting major)
No internships / Very little relevant work experience. :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:

why is that?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Umm, because when the placement stats show that only 5% get into banking, you shouldn't expect to be one of the 5%. When 88% get into public accounting, then you can probably expect to be in the 88% if you work hard and want to do public accounting...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Finance
 Q45  V42
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Diogenes wrote:
Umm, because when the placement stats show that only 5% get into banking, you shouldn't expect to be one of the 5%. When 88% get into public accounting, then you can probably expect to be in the 88% if you work hard and want to do public accounting...

True. But you should consider that many of the students don't have any desire to do banking/consulting. I'm not sure what percentage try to get banking jobs, but I imagine most MPA students are solely looking at Big 4. The ones who want to do banking can do it from undergrad; they don't need the MPA.

I have to agree with you though on one thing. He shouldn't attend UT with the idea it will land a banking position. The MPA degree is more flexible than most programs, so there may be that option; but I wouldn't depend on it.

Originally posted by kseel on 05 Oct 2010, 18:44.
Last edited by kseel on 05 Oct 2010, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
 Q45  V42
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Applying to UT-Austin, SMU, maybe USC, Villanova, UIUC
GMAT: 7XX, GPA: 3.2 Cumulative (3.5 Acct)

I have not taken the official GMAT yet. I took the GMAT Prep test with no practice and scored a 700. I expect to raise that significantly by my test date (nov20); hopefully I can pull a 750+ to make up for my low GPA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Program: MAcc/MPA

Applying to
1. Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia, Missouri
2. UT-Arlington, Arkansas

Term: Fall/Spring - 2011/2012
Undergrad: Arkansas
Major: Accounting/Finance
GMAT: N/A - Dec 2010, GPA: 3.1 Cumulative (4.0 ACCT)

Work Experience: None, applying for internships next spring.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
geauxtigers wrote:
I'll go ahead and throw in my stats/schools even though I still have to take final GMAT.

Program: MS Accounting
Schools: UT-Austin, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Louisiana State University
Undergrad: Louisiana State University, Accounting Major, Internal Audit specialization
GPA: 3.7 major, 3.6 overall
GMAT: 650 (Q40, V40) on Official GMAT Prep practice test w/ no preparation
Work Experience: Summer internship in Big 4 Advisory practice; internship in internal audit department of Fortune 500 company; two parts of CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) exam passed as of today - taking last two parts over the next month.

Ordered my GMAT prep books yesterday, taking GMAT in early November. Shooting for closer to 700 which I think should be attainable with a little preparation. Will update after taking official GMAT.

Also applying to Villanova's M.S. in Finance, and Duke's Master's of Management Studies program.

I got in to ND last year with pretty much the exact same stats as you. Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
When do people normally submit applications (Month and/or date)? I am wondering how far I can delay the GMAT until I'm good and ready.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
sailtheworld wrote:
When do people normally submit applications (Month and/or date)? I am wondering how far I can delay the GMAT until I'm good and ready.

Depends on the school. Some schools accept students in both Spring and Fall. Others, only for Fall admissions.

In addition, some schools have priority dates and rolling admissions date for deadlines.

Especially for competitive programs, earlier you apply, the better. But never apply if you are not ready (GMAT, etc)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi, everyone! I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Schools: N.C. State, UNC-Greensboro, UVA, Wake Forest, William and Mary
GPA: 2.9 for B.A., 3.0 major, 4.0 in accounting prerequisites
GMAT: 730 (45Q, 46V)

My situation is a little unusual, because I'm a career changer (aka non-traditional student). I have a B.A. in government from a "public Ivy" over 15 years ago. After many rounds of layoffs and buyouts at work, I decided I needed to find another career path. I've been working my way through the accounting and business prerequisites over the past 18 months. I have lots of (unrelated) work experience, and I don't have any internship experience yet. My extracurriculars in college, community involvement since then, and awards at work make me confident that part of the app will be well received. I'm happy with my GMAT score, although I would have been happier if my quant score was higher than verbal. Obviously, my undergrad GPA is the biggest concern. Any sense of how much that will hurt me, if I've been doing very well in the accounting/business classes I've taken recently?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.25
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
peggster wrote:
Hi, everyone! I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Schools: N.C. State, UNC-Greensboro, UVA, Wake Forest, William and Mary
GPA: 2.9 for B.A., 3.0 major, 4.0 in accounting prerequisites
GMAT: 730 (45Q, 46V)

My situation is a little unusual, because I'm a career changer (aka non-traditional student). I have a B.A. in government from a "public Ivy" over 15 years ago. After many rounds of layoffs and buyouts at work, I decided I needed to find another career path. I've been working my way through the accounting and business prerequisites over the past 18 months. I have lots of (unrelated) work experience, and I don't have any internship experience yet. My extracurriculars in college, community involvement since then, and awards at work make me confident that part of the app will be well received. I'm happy with my GMAT score, although I would have been happier if my quant score was higher than verbal. Obviously, my undergrad GPA is the biggest concern. Any sense of how much that will hurt me, if I've been doing very well in the accounting/business classes I've taken recently?

Good luck with the applications. We have pretty similar GPA/GMAT scores and some application overlap. I would be surprised if you were not admitted to every program on your list. If anything, I would probably be more worried about how hiring firms will treat you as a non-traditional prospective employee.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by hehatesmee on 21 Oct 2010, 17:01.
Last edited by hehatesmee on 04 Mar 2011, 08:38, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'll throw mine in, too:

GPA: 3.4
GMAT: 700
Undergrad Major: Poli Sci
Schools: BC, Bentley, Northeastern MSA/MBA

I'm feeling good about my chances at most of those schools. I live in Boston and don't really want to move. All accept non-accounting undergraduate degrees, with some prerequisites. Northeastern is actually a dual MSA/MBA that requires a 3-month paid internship at a firm. According to them, they have 100% placement of graduates because the firms set aside jobs after recruiting season for those who interned with them through the program. I've talked to a lot of people at firms that take Northeastern interns and grads, and apparently it is no joke, they are at 100% placement.

My question for anyone is how to decide on the program? Northeastern seems to have a great program with guaranteed job placement at a large Boston firm, but BC has a great reputation in the Boston area for pretty much every single program they offer. Should a lot of it be based on scholarships/debt-load after I graduate? Any insight would be appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts