Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 20:57 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 20:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 522 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
lagomez wrote:
Does it make sense to have a consortium interview through a specific school if that school is not your first choice?

I interviewed with an alum from a school I didn't wind up applying to. I don't think it matters as long as you can speak intelligently about your own career trajectory and resume. For example if you're interviewing with a Tuck alum that lives in your area but you're not applying there, don't bring it up, and make sure you know at least a few key facts about the program in case it comes up in the interview. Don't lie and say it's your #1 choice, and at the same time don't bring up that you have 0 intention of applying if asked.

lagomez wrote:
Could you elaborate a little more on this? I'm still having trouble with the mission essay.

The mission of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, an alliance of leading American business schools and some of our country’s top corporations, is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management.

What exactly are they looking for? I do lots of work with minorities and the underprivileged but they aren't exactly going to join the ranks of management. Many don't even have a high school diploma.

It's all about how you frame it. Maybe the people you directly help will not rise to the ranks of management, but what's to say that their kids don't? Or their relatives? Or their friends?
VP
VP
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
lagomez wrote:
Does it make sense to have a consortium interview through a specific school if that school is not your first choice?

I interviewed with an alum from a school I didn't wind up applying to. I don't think it matters as long as you can speak intelligently about your own career trajectory and resume. For example if you're interviewing with a Tuck alum that lives in your area but you're not applying there, don't bring it up, and make sure you know at least a few key facts about the program in case it comes up in the interview. Don't lie and say it's your #1 choice, and at the same time don't bring up that you have 0 intention of applying if asked.

lagomez wrote:
Could you elaborate a little more on this? I'm still having trouble with the mission essay.

The mission of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, an alliance of leading American business schools and some of our country’s top corporations, is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management.

What exactly are they looking for? I do lots of work with minorities and the underprivileged but they aren't exactly going to join the ranks of management. Many don't even have a high school diploma.

It's all about how you frame it. Maybe the people you directly help will not rise to the ranks of management, but what's to say that their kids don't? Or their relatives? Or their friends?

regarding my mission question: yes, that make sense. great advice.

regarding the interview: I think we have the option of interviewing with a member school. Should that only be done if we want to attend that school? Does that serve as the consortium interview as well? I believe school-specific interviews can be done with an admissions committee member.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
lagomez wrote:

lagomez wrote:

regarding my mission question: yes, that make sense. great advice.

regarding the interview: I think we have the option of interviewing with a member school. Should that only be done if we want to attend that school? Does that serve as the consortium interview as well? I believe school-specific interviews can be done with an admissions committee member.

sorry, I misread your original question. I'm not sure if scheduling the school specific interview at the school will knock out both at the same time. I would just schedule the interview using whatever method is the most convenient for you (i.e. if the alum lives 5 mins from your house vs going an hour to the school).

The other upside of scheduling the alum interview instead of doing it at the school is that you essentially get a freebie. The alum isn't out to ding you or to give you any possible questions that might trip you up. They will essentially just stick to the script and ask you about your resume, etc. That way, if you don't have a strong grasp of your "story" yet, you can use it as a first pass and solicit feedback from your interviewer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Kudos
shadowsjc wrote:
The following is a list of events / initiatives that Consortium applicants may be interested in. This is by no means an all inclusive list, so always keep your eyes open for similar opportunities that may arise:

General

Forte foundation - for women leaders in business; provide mentoring and fellowship opportunities
https://www.fortefoundation.org/site/PageServer

Robert Toigo foundation - for URM applicants; provide mentoring and fellowship opportunities
https://connected.toigofoundation.org/site/PageServer

Management Leadership for Tomorrow - for URM applicants; ongoing program that helps refine the core skills needed for a successful career in business. should apply ASAP if interested
https://www.ml4t.org/

MBA Jumpstart - summer conference for people interested in switching careers into Consulting or Investment banking; offers networking opportunities and career panels; similar to the Consortium OP in that people walked away with the conference in excellent positions to get internship offers before school even started. Apply in the spring
https://mbajumpstart.org/forums.php

Consulting

Deloitte Consulting Immersion Program - new pre-mba program that started last year; offers students a highly competitive pre-MBA internship at Deloitte; Deloitte also hosts a networking conference the summer before school. Apply in the spring
https://careers.deloitte.com/united-stat ... ntID=16293

Investment Banking

Pretty much all the large banks have diversity initiatives that include pre-MBA camps and events the summer before school starts. These are essentially a must if you intend to work in the field, especially if you have no prior finance experience. The applications for these don't usually start until the spring, but make sure to keep them on your radar. They are generally competitive, so make sure you get your app in early (apply in the spring)

JP Morgan Early Advantage - https://careers.jpmorgan.com/student/jpm ... ge/program
Morgan Stanley Early Insight -
Goldman Sachs Pre MBA Camp - https://www2.goldmansachs.com/careers/ou ... index.html
UBS

Applicants should familiarize themselves with these and apply if possible. I can speak further to the investment banking programs, so if you have any questions feel free to post back or send me a PM.

Marketing/Brand Management

P&G Marketing Summer Camp - AMAZING opportunity for anyone interested in marketing and/or brand management. It's a one-week program over the summer where you get to know marketing through the lens of the best CPG company in the world. The week is capped with internship interviews for the following summer. It's not exclusively for diversity candidates but it is heavily tailored towards a diverse audience (beyond just URM). Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
https://www.jobs-pg.com/cincinnati/marke ... orary-jobs

Other camps - Other companies might have similar camps that I'm aware of that you can apply directly to (I think PepsiCo/Frito-Lay). Many have camps or sell/interview days out of Consortium or the Diversity conferences (Target, General Mills, Miller-Coors, Kraft, J&J, etc) usually after 1st round interviews or after an offer is extended. Consortium OP is incredible for marketing internship opportunities. You can set foot on campus with several offers in hand before your first class.

If you're interested in Marketing and/or Brand Management, it's good to start prospecting what types of companies you may be interested in. I'm not kidding, as soon as you accept your offer if you attend a Consortium school, you need to start resume and interview prep immediately. The time goes by REALLY fast.

I'm happy to answer questions in the Marketing realm for those beginning their research. Just PM me.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1150 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Just submitted my app. Applied to three Consortium member schools.

Time to wait and see where the dice fall...

Edit:

For the current consortium folks here: Are you on a fellowship? I see nefertiti is, what about the others?

My consortium interviewer was a fellow from Darden (class of '07).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
With regards to whether schools see the rankings -

I was an attendee at Tuck's Diversity Conference this past weekend as well, and I spoke with Dawna Clarke, the Director of Admissions, specifically on this issue. She stated that the schools do receive the rankings, but that there is a strong directive from CGSM not to look at them as part of the admissions process - only as part of the financial aid process.

That being said, she did not state that Tuck does not look at them. She did state that Tuck does not take them into consideration as part of admissions (which seems to me an admissions that they look at them, and my thought it while they try to be objective, it will subconsciously affect their decision making process).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
theoutlawfades wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
The following is a list of events / initiatives that Consortium applicants may be interested in. This is by no means an all inclusive list, so always keep your eyes open for similar opportunities that may arise:

General

Forte foundation - for women leaders in business; provide mentoring and fellowship opportunities
https://www.fortefoundation.org/site/PageServer

Robert Toigo foundation - for URM applicants; provide mentoring and fellowship opportunities
https://connected.toigofoundation.org/site/PageServer

Management Leadership for Tomorrow - for URM applicants; ongoing program that helps refine the core skills needed for a successful career in business. should apply ASAP if interested
https://www.ml4t.org/

MBA Jumpstart - summer conference for people interested in switching careers into Consulting or Investment banking; offers networking opportunities and career panels; similar to the Consortium OP in that people walked away with the conference in excellent positions to get internship offers before school even started. Apply in the spring
https://mbajumpstart.org/forums.php

Consulting

Deloitte Consulting Immersion Program - new pre-mba program that started last year; offers students a highly competitive pre-MBA internship at Deloitte; Deloitte also hosts a networking conference the summer before school. Apply in the spring
https://careers.deloitte.com/united-stat ... ntID=16293

Investment Banking

Pretty much all the large banks have diversity initiatives that include pre-MBA camps and events the summer before school starts. These are essentially a must if you intend to work in the field, especially if you have no prior finance experience. The applications for these don't usually start until the spring, but make sure to keep them on your radar. They are generally competitive, so make sure you get your app in early (apply in the spring)

JP Morgan Early Advantage - https://careers.jpmorgan.com/student/jpm ... ge/program
Morgan Stanley Early Insight -
Goldman Sachs Pre MBA Camp - https://www2.goldmansachs.com/careers/ou ... index.html
UBS

Applicants should familiarize themselves with these and apply if possible. I can speak further to the investment banking programs, so if you have any questions feel free to post back or send me a PM.

Marketing/Brand Management

P&G Marketing Summer Camp - AMAZING opportunity for anyone interested in marketing and/or brand management. It's a one-week program over the summer where you get to know marketing through the lens of the best CPG company in the world. The week is capped with internship interviews for the following summer. It's not exclusively for diversity candidates but it is heavily tailored towards a diverse audience (beyond just URM). Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
https://www.jobs-pg.com/cincinnati/marke ... orary-jobs

Other camps - Other companies might have similar camps that I'm aware of that you can apply directly to (I think PepsiCo/Frito-Lay). Many have camps or sell/interview days out of Consortium or the Diversity conferences (Target, General Mills, Miller-Coors, Kraft, J&J, etc) usually after 1st round interviews or after an offer is extended. Consortium OP is incredible for marketing internship opportunities. You can set foot on campus with several offers in hand before your first class.

If you're interested in Marketing and/or Brand Management, it's good to start prospecting what types of companies you may be interested in. I'm not kidding, as soon as you accept your offer if you attend a Consortium school, you need to start resume and interview prep immediately. The time goes by REALLY fast.

I'm happy to answer questions in the Marketing realm for those beginning their research. Just PM me.

nice post. I'm 100% sure I'm going to go into marketing, so I'm going to bug you in the coming months with marketing question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
sexonthebeach150 wrote:
With regards to whether schools see the rankings -

I was an attendee at Tuck's Diversity Conference this past weekend as well, and I spoke with Dawna Clarke, the Director of Admissions, specifically on this issue. She stated that the schools do receive the rankings, but that there is a strong directive from CGSM not to look at them as part of the admissions process - only as part of the financial aid process.

That being said, she did not state that Tuck does not look at them. She did state that Tuck does not take them into consideration as part of admissions (which seems to me an admissions that they look at them, and my thought it while they try to be objective, it will subconsciously affect their decision making process).

That's good to hear...considering I ranked Tuck as No. 1. Michigan said they black out the rankings, so I didn't mind ranking them a bit lower.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Unless specifically stated otherwise (like Ross), I would assume that all CGSM schools look at rankings and at least partially use them in their admissions decisions. A few pages back in this thread, somebody mentioned that while they were having their additional NYU interview, the adcom specifically asked why he ranked them #2.

As far as CGSM interviews, I decided to make the effort to interview at my number 1 choice school even though the CGSM says it doesn't matter who you interview with and it will have no influence on admissions decisions. I figured showing that extra bit of effort could only be a good thing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
Soo.....

Anybody submit or plan to submit a video for Tuck??
Retired Moderator
Send PM
kegewe wrote:
Soo.....

Anybody submit or plan to submit a video for Tuck??

Someone in the Tuck thread said he/she was.

I submitted an essay.

As for the rankings:

I think people who max out the six schools are really gambling if that is true. I only applied to 3 CGSM programs. My 1 and 2 are par (I can make the arguement when I selected the order I did), but my #3 is without a doubt the "lowest" on my list.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Follow up:

For the folks who have gone through the process before, can you fill us in on the timeline?

Nov 15-March is kind of a long time...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:

sorry, I misread your original question. I'm not sure if scheduling the school specific interview at the school will knock out both at the same time. I would just schedule the interview using whatever method is the most convenient for you (i.e. if the alum lives 5 mins from your house vs going an hour to the school).

The other upside of scheduling the alum interview instead of doing it at the school is that you essentially get a freebie. The alum isn't out to ding you or to give you any possible questions that might trip you up. They will essentially just stick to the script and ask you about your resume, etc. That way, if you don't have a strong grasp of your "story" yet, you can use it as a first pass and solicit feedback from your interviewer.

I didn't interview with an alum when I did my Consortium interview, but I'd recommend very strongly against using it as a practice interview as indicated above. I have done interviews for Michigan and generally speaking I'd say alums are harder interviewers than adcoms. It's not that anyone is purposely out to get you, but they want you to be really sure you are a good fit. And quite frankly you have no business interviewing if you don't have a good grip on your story. Also, personally I would not ask for feedback unless your interviewer offers it. It's just kiind of inapproperiate and awkward like asking for feedback during a job interview. With that said, I don't think it matters who you interview with alum or at the school just do whatever is easiest. Some schools (like Ross) will require you to do a seperate interview anyways, others will just take the Consortium one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
 Q42  V39
Send PM
mohater wrote:
Follow up:

For the folks who have gone through the process before, can you fill us in on the timeline?

Nov 15-March is kind of a long time...

It is a long time. I dropped on 11/15 last year as well. I heard from Ross about my interview invite a few weeks later (much faster than I anticipated and it depends on how fast they receive the app from The Consortium to begin processing). I heard from NYU just after New Years for my interview invite, and was accepted to Ross and Darden a few weeks later.

March seems a long ways away but you'll hear a little more info from some schools depending on when they receive the app from the Consortium. I didn't have all the info about admissions or fellowship offers until March but every little piece of news was like Christmas morning for me and it was better than no news at all.

Hang in there and congrats to all of you who made the Round 1 deadline!
Director
Director
Send PM
I was going to do a video for Tuck, but I think ultimately it could end up hurting more than helping. Not only do you have to have something good to say, but you need to come off as genuine, interesting, and not offensive etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm a completely normal likable individual, but people make subconscious judgements based on the smallest of details. For example, you might not look as authoritative, sociable, or whatever adjective just because the camera angle and lighting is slightly off. Or maybe I'm completely over thinking this... :lol:

How long did it take your interviewer to submit their report to the consortium? I had my interview on Nov. 12, and I haven't heard anything yet. Granted I'm not applying until Jan. 5, but when should I start to get worried?

Also, when do schools start to do interview invites/admission decisions for Jan. 5 applicants? Does it just go by the individual schools Rd.2 deadlines?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
 Q42  V39
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
I was going to do a video for Tuck, but I think ultimately it could end up hurting more than helping. Not only do you have to have something good to say, but you need to come off as genuine, interesting, and not offensive etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm a completely normal likable individual, but people make subconscious judgements based on the smallest of details. For example, you might not look as authoritative, sociable, or whatever adjective just because the camera angle and lighting is slightly off. Or maybe I'm completely over thinking this... :lol:

How long did it take your interviewer to submit their report to the consortium? I had my interview on Nov. 12, and I haven't heard anything yet. Granted I'm not applying until Jan. 5, but when should I start to get worried?

Also, when do schools start to do interview invites/admission decisions for Jan. 5 applicants? Does it just go by the individual schools Rd.2 deadlines?

It took awhile for some reason to have the interview report register. I remember, I checked with the Consortium because I didn't see any confirmation, they said they didn't have it. I followed-up with my interviewer, he said he submitted it already. I checked with the Consortium a week later and they said they had it but still never received the confirmation. That whole system is a little screwy. I tried not to pester the interviewer unless it was the last resort but following up with the Consortium isn't going to hurt you.

Invites/decisions after Jan 5 differs from school to school. Some review all Consortium apps together, both Rounds 1 and 2 (i.e. Yale, etc). Some it just rolls with their other deadlines (if it fits with the Consortium). While others have separate Round 2 Consortium reviews because they need to decide before they make fellowship decisions in March putting it off their main review calendar. I would check with each school separately. They understand that it's confusing so a quick email to them can get your question answered with no harm done.
Director
Director
Send PM
Does anyone know what the questions are for the Mission Letter of Recommendation?

This was what they were in 2009:

1) How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?

2) What has the candidate done in business, personal, or their academic life to demonstrate commitment to reducing the serious underrepresentation of African-Americans, Hispanic Americans or Native Americans through the applicant's academic, or professional pursuits? What potential does the candidate demonstrate for assisting The Consortium in pursuing its mission?

Is it the same this year?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6  ...  132   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts