Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:19 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: GMAT Maths Absolute Beginner [#permalink]
Yes, Rohit. The Manhattan series pretty much covers the entire spectrum of concepts tested in the GMAT.
Another book, which is an absolute must have, is the Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition.
Since GMAC, the agency that conducts the exam, has copyrights over the GMAT questions, no one other than GMAC can publish original GMAT questions. So in order to practice 'real' GMAT questions, you must buy the Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Amrith once again. I was gifted the GMAT official guide by someone. Many thanks for your support.
Director
Director
Send PM
Awesome... Now since you have decided to buy the Manhattan Series and you already own a copy of the OG, the best way to get the most out of each of them is to use them together.

Don't start solving from the OG immediately. The best approach is to read a chapter and then solve the 'In action' problems followed by the 'Official Guide' problems.

After reviewing all the chapters in the 5 books, start solving the OG questions one by one from the first question onwards.
Maintain an error log to determine areas which require further improvement.
Do another round of solving and you're good to go...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance / Management
 Q48  V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
my 2 cents regarding the OG-questions.. i started solving them and wondered about how easy they are! did ~ 50% of the questions (~ 400) - think it was a waste of time!
i bought the kaplan premier 2011 - this will provide you with a lot of tests & quizzes (online+via CD) on a more sophisticated level .. furthermore it teaches u the basics of quant + verbal!

same about the gmat prep software.. the CATs are great and as others mention the best performance indicator, though the contained practice question sets within the software are ridiculous ..

I'd buy either the Kaplan books or the Manhattan books (recommended by a lot, i haven't used them)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks once again for your recommendations. I will post how it goes with the above suggestions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
For math basics I'd recommend to start with Manhattan GMAT "Foundations of GMAT Math" book. It starts with really basic concepts and makes it easier for you to transition to the main Manhattan GMAT book set.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72910 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
kundozei wrote:
For math basics I'd recommend to start with Manhattan GMAT "Foundations of GMAT Math" book. It starts with really basic concepts and makes it easier for you to transition to the main Manhattan GMAT book set.

I second this recommendation. Kaplan also has a similar version of this book: Kaplan Math Foundations (but MGMAT is better integrated in the rest of the MGMAT books).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
kundozei wrote:

I second this recommendation. Kaplan also has a similar version of this book: Kaplan Math Foundations (but MGMAT is better integrated in the rest of the MGMAT books).

I'm speaking from personal experience. I haven't opened a math book for about 15 years. MGMAT book helps a lot with refreshing some very rusty concepts. Plus, I was taught math in Eastern Europe, so certain concepts were explained differently. The only problem with MGMAT foundations book is that the book is big. It took me some time to finish it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many thanks for all the responses. The kit should be there with me in few days and I appreciate everyone's assistance.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72910 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, just to chime in, don't stretch out your prep beyond 4-6 months (2-4 months is ideal). Otherwise, you start forgetting things.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks . Will keep this in mind as well.
GMAT Club Bot