Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 16:12 It is currently 05 May 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Wisconsin, Carlson, McCombs, Ross, Stern
 Q37  V35 GMAT 2: 690  Q44  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
That's pretty surprising that you have not heard back. Has your application status changed on the website?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bakewey wrote:
That's pretty surprising that you have not heard back. Has your application status changed on the website?

They said I should expect to hear around Feb. 15th. So hopefully hear something tomorrow. Do you know if you hear anything about your scholarship package right away, or do they send that to you separately?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abushey31 wrote:
They said I should expect to hear around Feb. 15th. So hopefully hear something tomorrow. Do you know if you hear anything about your scholarship package right away, or do they send that to you separately?

Wow, well good luck! I am unsure about how scholarship packages work as well. I guess you'll know soon enough though, so keep us posted!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got the acceptance email letter today. Not obvious what scholarships I will be receiving though. Anyone else accepted?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abushey31 wrote:
Just got the acceptance email letter today. Not obvious what scholarships I will be receiving though. Anyone else accepted?

Nothing yet, although I'm Round 2 so I wouldn't expect it for a while. You might hear back about scholarship through an Admissions packet though?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
abushey31 wrote:

Congrats!

I applied Feb 1st deadline (Round 2) and got an interview invite on Wednesday. Going to head to Minneapolis to tour school and interview in early March.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:MSU Broad $
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Got bad vibes from Carlson, I felt like a feminist bongo party was about to break out. Seems to be a little too concentrated on GMAT scores, their middle 80% is laughable. Compare it to similar caliber schools whose range is double that of Minnesota's with a higher median! I think that is all they look at, which is fine, but I'm betting that has an affect on the social skill level of the student pop. I interviewed, and was not impressed. Compared to the other schools I have been looking at, U of MN fell to the bottom of my list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
 Q49  V38
Send PM
mbanimal2011 wrote:
Got bad vibes from Carlson, I felt like a feminist bongo party was about to break out. Seems to be a little too concentrated on GMAT scores, their middle 80% is laughable. Compare it to similar caliber schools whose range is double that of Minnesota's with a higher median!

Which other similar schools?

I'm not saying all the below are "similar" except for GMAT scores, but I took a look at 10 other schools with median GMAT scores +/- 10 of Carlson's GMAT, and it seems to me that Carlson is in pretty good company with its range. In fact, Carlson's median, bottom 10% and top 10% are identical with Fuqua, Tepper and Olin. The only school that looks like a real GMAT snob is Anderson.

Median 80% Range
Carlson: 700 640-750
Olin: 700 640-750
Ross: 710 650-750
Tepper: 700 640-750
Kenan-Flagler 700 620-750
McCombs 690 620-730
Anderson 710 680-750
Marshall 690 640-740
Fuqua 700 640-750
Darden 700 650-740
Johnson 700 620-740
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:MSU Broad $
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
thmgoodw wrote:
mbanimal2011 wrote:
Got bad vibes from Carlson, I felt like a feminist bongo party was about to break out. Seems to be a little too concentrated on GMAT scores, their middle 80% is laughable. Compare it to similar caliber schools whose range is double that of Minnesota's with a higher median!

Which other similar schools?

I'm not saying all the below are "similar" except for GMAT scores, but I took a look at 10 other schools with median GMAT scores +/- 10 of Carlson's GMAT, and it seems to me that Carlson is in pretty good company with its range. In fact, Carlson's median, bottom 10% and top 10% are identical with Fuqua, Tepper and Olin. The only school that looks like a real GMAT snob is Anderson.

Median 80% Range
Carlson: 700 640-750
Olin: 700 640-750
Ross: 710 650-750
Tepper: 700 640-750
Kenan-Flagler 700 620-750
McCombs 690 620-730
Anderson 710 680-750
Marshall 690 640-740
Fuqua 700 640-750
Darden 700 650-740
Johnson 700 620-740

You're right on there. It just seems to me that the median score seems a lot higher than the ranking of the program. I know some of that stuff is subjective, and I do see you're point. I'm saying that the school isn't as top tier as its high GMAT median indicates. There can be a lot of reasons for that, probably because it is the top tier school in that four state area. I got bad vibes from the admissions staff so I'm obviously biased. Good luck though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
mbanimal2011 wrote:
You're right on there. It just seems to me that the median score seems a lot higher than the ranking of the program. I know some of that stuff is subjective, and I do see you're point. I'm saying that the school isn't as top tier as its high GMAT median indicates. There can be a lot of reasons for that, probably because it is the top tier school in that four state area. I got bad vibes from the admissions staff so I'm obviously biased. Good luck though.

Yea, I think part of it is there are a subset of people who might be Minnesota locals who know they want to stay/live there, and they turned down some pretty high ranked schools as they wouldn't have given them any competitive advantage for that market. Also, the small class size allows them to be more selective than if the class is bigger. Some schools also have lower media gmats then one would think for their ranking, such as another one of my schools, Kelley.

Perhaps you met with different admissions folks then me :-D I've interviewed on-campus now at 4 schools and I liked the Carlson people a lot more than any of the folks at schools. It just goes to show why everyone needs to visit any school they are really interested in. Good luck at Mendoza and the other schools you are looking at.

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General
Send PM
mbanimal2011 wrote:
Got bad vibes from Carlson, I felt like a feminist bongo party was about to break out. Seems to be a little too concentrated on GMAT scores, their middle 80% is laughable. Compare it to similar caliber schools whose range is double that of Minnesota's with a higher median! I think that is all they look at, which is fine, but I'm betting that has an affect on the social skill level of the student pop. I interviewed, and was not impressed. Compared to the other schools I have been looking at, U of MN fell to the bottom of my list.

could u pls elaborate exactly wat made u think this way ??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can anyone provide some insight as to when we can expect to hear from Carlson regarding R2 admissions? The website says April 15th, but does Carlson send decisions earlier if the interview was completed earlier (e.g., 2/14)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Kelley, WashU, Carlson, McCombs (R2int)
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 3 years Accounting
WE 2: 4 years Fin Analyst
Send PM
TheDude2011 wrote:
Can anyone provide some insight as to when we can expect to hear from Carlson regarding R2 admissions? The website says April 15th, but does Carlson send decisions earlier if the interview was completed earlier (e.g., 2/14)?

For R1, they notified about two weeks earlier than the official date. However, the Admit Weekend is April 8-9, so I'm not sure if that factors into their thinking. One might guess they would want to allow a couple weeks for people to make travel arrangements to be able to attend, especially since Carlson is footing the bill for airfare.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaseekercf wrote:
TheDude2011 wrote:

For R1, they notified about two weeks earlier than the official date. However, the Admit Weekend is April 8-9, so I'm not sure if that factors into their thinking. One might guess they would want to allow a couple weeks for people to make travel arrangements to be able to attend, especially since Carlson is footing the bill for airfare.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has any international R2 applicant received an interview invite from Carlson ??
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIESEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Financial Management Consulting
Schools:Carlson School of Management (Admitted with $$$); Claremont McKenna College MSF (Admitted with $$$); Olin Business School (R2); Wisconsin School of Business R3); University of Notre Dame (R5)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: 2.5 Years in Management Consulting with a Big 4 Auditing Firm by matriculation
Send PM
raulmba wrote:

I thought that all interviews were completed long ago? Isn't it kind of too late already? You might wanna to contact the Adcom to initiate an interview
Manager
Manager
Send PM
quan11287 wrote:
raulmba wrote:

I thought that all interviews were completed long ago? Isn't it kind of too late already? You might wanna to contact the Adcom to initiate an interview

I had applied against Feb 1st deadline..and was under the impression that the interview invites are still to be doled out..
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts