Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 10:24 It is currently 03 May 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: NBA basketball fans out there? [#permalink]
You can watch the All Star Saturday Night events here: https://www.tnt.tv/sports/nba/allstar11/ . And here is a really cool Facebook visualization of All-Star Weekend https://www.nba.com/allstarpulse/app.html
Retired Moderator
Send PM
good stuff. i'll definitely be watching and giving my own little twist on my own personal thoughts and analysis of the game afterwards :) stayed tuned.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Right after Blake Griffin jumped over the car and I watched the replay, I really didn't think it was over the top or anything. His previous two dunks were awesome, but I have no idea what or why he chose to perform the jumping car for his last dunk. Sure, the aesthetic and the choir was cool, but the dunk itself was just adequately average.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
blake griffin either way...is a monster :) he needs to get out of the LA clippers and get into the LA Lakers :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Dude is definitely up and coming. The best thing about him is that he's still young and has a lot more years to go. I think given a few years he'll be one of the best players who can dominate the key and shoot.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
:-D

Are we really talking about Blake Griffin when my beloved Knicks just gutted their entire starting lineup to acquire Carmelo Anthony?

Carmelo acquisition is fine. I am also excited about Billups. But I am more worried about Knicks losing D Walsh. What's the point of acquiring 2-3 superstars if Walsh isn't around to round out the roster? Dolan and Thomas will destroy my team again. Then maybe I will completely stop following NBA, just like I stopped following hockey (and Rangers) when my beloved Rangers lost yr after yr after yr from late 90's to 2005......
Retired Moderator
Send PM
never followed the NHL lol but I can say that the new york knicks will be in some serious trouble either way they go.

be good to see carmelo get a starting line up with the lakers lol. i was kinda hoping for it since kobe stopped the interviewer from asking question about it to carmello during the all-star game :)

all in all though, i think this carmelo thing needs to stop. either trade or stay. it's starting to get old now that every NBA game there's some talk about his move either at the half-time report or during the game. they definitely blew it up WAYYYY out of proportion i think. and the point is, why would the nuggets want to get rid of him? do they want to be the next cavaliers?

and to answer your question nink, don't think there is anything wrong with have more than 1 super star player on a team. look at the heat, look at the celtics, and they're doing phenomenal.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
nink wrote:
:-D

Are we really talking about Blake Griffin when my beloved Knicks just gutted their entire starting lineup to acquire Carmelo Anthony?

Carmelo acquisition is fine. I am also excited about Billups. But I am more worried about Knicks losing D Walsh. What's the point of acquiring 2-3 superstars if Walsh isn't around to round out the roster? Dolan and Thomas will destroy my team again. Then maybe I will completely stop following NBA, just like I stopped following hockey (and Rangers) when my beloved Rangers lost yr after yr after yr from late 90's to 2005......

Not knocking on the Knicks or any of its players, but I think the players that got gutted for the Anothony trade are replaceable players. Overall, I think this was a good move for the Knicks and I think we are going to see consistent scoring in a Mike D'Antoni's offense. The thing that I'm worrying for the Knicks is how it's not going to be so defensively inclined. As far as the lineup itself, it should be fairly easy to build up an attractive core consisting of Carmelo and Amare. And at this current situation, I can't imagine that there isn't a line of players dying to join the Knicks now, not only because of the elite players but because of (ready for the cliche?) location, location, location! I think there are very few cities that can compete with the attractive glamour that New York has to offer (probably besides LA, San Fran, and Miami).
Retired Moderator
Send PM
don't like the knicks too much nor the mavericks or the spurs or the wizards or the cavaliers. not too sure why. i think their line up is kind of boring. same people doing the same moves like derk with the same left hand hook and under-the-basket move...gets old.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
lol, jetty, you just love your lakers too much =P
lakers had pretty much the same lineup for years!!!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
lol, jetty, you just love your lakers too much =P
lakers had pretty much the same lineup for years!!!

true. but kobe kinda puts a spin on things, makes it fun, makes it interesting.

celtics, well, KG is the most hated player in the NBA because some say he plays dirty, others say he's just too into the game, either way, a good fight on the court is always amusing.

phoenix, steve nash, nothing else to say. i've started to collect a little playbook of all his plays - it's sweet.

miami, big 3, always entertaining.

nuggets, this will get interesting soon enough, seeing as how they just lost carmelo...

knicks on the other hand, might turn out to be an interesting game to watch...and that's a BIG maybe...i still think they have a lot of work to do. a lot of dead-weight on their team. i actually don't know anyone else half way decent on their team besides amar....who knows...point of the day...and here it is...

just because you have a good player doesn't mean you have a good team. and i stand by that 100% of the way....
Retired Moderator
Send PM
[quote="vwjetty]just because you have a good player doesn't mean you have a good team. and i stand by that 100% of the way....[/quote]

Certainly agree with this statement. It goes all the way back from history of basketball.

Well, from when I started watching pro-basketball, back in the 80's of the lakers and 90's with the bulls. Each team who won championship had not just a strong person, but a strong person with an unbelievable support from the other 4 on the court.

We'll see as the latter half of the season unravels. It'll certainly be interesting.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: President of Student Associoation
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Engineering
Schools:HBS 2+2, IESE YTP
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
I am so proud of our young gunz, Wall and McGee. McGee actually won the Slam Dunk Contest, there is no way one can win over Blake when fans decide the champ.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
And it's only going to get better and better over the years. Imagine what these slam dunk contests are going to be like in 2030!!!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
HOW ABOUT THEM LAKERS BABY?!??!?!?!?! 104-80 against the hawks! :)

my boy derek fischer ON FIRE with 3/3 consecutive field goals right off the jump ball at the very beginning! that's the kind of aggressiveness i'm talking about! my fellow gmat comrades, it is plays like that that win championships :)

odom, doing his same thing from the corner jumper all good. no negative feedback for him.

artest, with the wide-open air-ball, which was disappointing but he definitely made it up with that sneaky sneaky steal a few possessions later.

kobe, beast, nothing more to say haha

gasol, doing his thing.

really impressed with shannon brown though, just that explosiveness. notice how he's always game for the fast breaks and easy slams. like that a lot.

steve blake...is it just me or does he need to gain some weight and muscle? I see him dribbling the ball around and it looks like he's just get knocked up back and forth by the defendant players. can't drive, can't shoot, can't really rebound either, and don't do much assists.

Ebanks, haven't seen him in awhile good to see him do his thing. He's defintely got a lot in him.

Joe Smith, LOVE his energy man. He's an older guy but he has that knowledge, energy, adrenaline, and drive. Definitely keeper.

Now the bad part....fortunately, there isn't many.

Luke Walton - WTF is this kid?! Can't drive, can't shoot, can't assist, loses the ball, can this kid dribble? Not to be an ass, but man, I've played all years of intermurial basketball in college, which is probably a little different from NBA but wow, talk about USELESS. And he's slow...can't run for crap. like....what?! And he's on payroll?! Are you serious? I think I could probably be a better player than him, and I'm not trying to say I'm a MVP or anything but that dude just pissed me off.

In business, this is called sunk cost and dead-weight lose :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
anybody check out that lakers vs spurs game?

or the celtics vs Milwaukee game?

heard it was EPIC.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
watched both.

Lakers and Spurs were an okay game, only because the margin between their scores got bigger and bigger. Once it hit a 30-point margin, it's pretty much a done deal (sort of like how I don't enjoy watching a football game that's at 42-7). Lakers did everything right today and played fantastic defense. This is probably one of the best games I've seen from the lakers this year. If they continue to play the same way as today, Phil Jackson should have his second championship ring for his toes.

In terms of celtics and bucks, now that was a great game. By halftime, celtics was down by 6 points and I remember saying to myself that chances are, Celtics will still win the game. The game pretty much came down to the very last minute, with bucks missing just a couple of very crucial shots. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce delivered as usual; however, Rondo was unimpressive. I think he accumulated a mere 2 point during the game, but had 5 turnovers. That's huge! That's doing more damage to his own team. I wouldn't be too alarmed about Rondo. Much like anything else in life that requires a bit of luck, basketball games are just just the same. At the end of the day, a win's a win and Celtics is still #1 seed in the eastern conference. Only several more weeks until we get down to the final business. I can't wait.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10