Last visit was: 09 Jun 2024, 09:40 It is currently 09 Jun 2024, 09:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 776 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 776 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [7]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: how good is a 710? [#permalink]
Kudos
jko wrote:
most of the top 10 schools have an average GMAT in the 710-720 range.

A 710 probably wouldn't close doors, but it's not going to open them necessarily either.

I actually think a GMAT doesn't open any doors at all for the most part. Once you're in range, it's a check the box sort of thing. The only time an excessively high GMAT score is needed is if your GPA or your grades in quant classes in college were less than stellar and you need to demonstrate particular aptitude in that area. Fine, maybe if you're a WAY overrepresented applicant (Indian, Male, IT, normal experience...) applying for an elite level school, then maybe you might want a super high score to differentiate yourself and even then, I'd think twice about it first.

Personally, if I had gotten a 710, I would have celebrated and never looked at the test again. Congrats vibhav on a great score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
710 is a great score. Look at the percentiles on your score report, you should be happy with yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
I tend to think that it's the whole package.

I think even 640 or 650 may be sufficient score for even the very top notch business schools given that an applicant has great work experience, EC, and undergraduate records.

That being said, if you have some suspect areas in your application, getting that super high GMAT score may mitigate your shortcomings.

700+ tends to be a benchmark for many because 700 puts you into 90th percentile and you break that psychological barrier as well.

Although, I think we can unequivocally agree that 710 is a fantastic score. :-D
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1127 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
First, a 710 is a great score. Congratulations! And as for a retake, it really depends. If a 710 represents the best that you could do, then it's probably not worth the risk to return to the GMAT.

Now here comes the hard part. If one's overall profile is lacking, then no score can fully compensate for this. Other parts of the profile are equally if not more important, and the top schools look for something compelling. Hopefully, you already have something to share with admissions. If you don't think so, then work on those areas instead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Vibhav, that is a very good score. I don't believe that an extra 20, 30 points will matter at this level. I believe that is is time for you to focus on your other qualifications, such as essay, work experience and even contacts at the schools that you most want to attend. Volunteer work, projects, extracurricular activities should also be evaluated.

Good luck. I believe that you will get into a good school and no matter which one, you will be a success!
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Other
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
It also depends on your profile. Are you in a over represented/under represented demographic? Work profile?
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3621 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
710 is a good score. Even if you are Indian IT male with normal work ex, i don't think taking gmat again would increase your chance. I don't think being an Indian IT male, some one is at dis-advantage. But yes you would have to face some competition. 3-4 years of work-ex is not the sole criteria to select-reject you. Your overall profile, including your personal life, would be quite different and could be a differentiators.

Take it as a challenge and sail your boat. Good luck mate and do not forget to update us with your B-school Journey.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
it's really really good but believe it or not average at stanford is over 720. think that is the highest school average.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 776 [1]
Send PM
thanks guys!
a quick update, got my awa scores and i scored a 5.0.

given that most of you have refered to the profile, a brief mention:

Academic: i have completed my degree in instrumentation. i also hold a diploma in international business laws and corporate laws, which i acquired after my engineering while i was working.

Work ex: i now have 3yrs of work ex ( in the same co.). The company is a industrial goods mfg co. and a dominant player in the segment, been in operation for more than 60 yrs. I work here as a business developer, in which i market our consultancy division. Essentially this division deals in improving the energy efficiency of the utility systems of the factory. in addition to this role i am also the head of two projects:
1. is a knowledge sharing campaign that has run successfully for more than 2yrs and has been very well recieved by our customers. We even made a book out of this and it was published along with the dec edition of the Forbes Magazine in india.
2. is a venture in the digital media, in which we are using social media technologies to the beneift of our customers. It is probably a first for mfg co. in india. just recently started and doing pretty well.

Ex curricular:
1. I play the guitar (bass/ acoustic) and I started a band in my company and for 2 yrs we have been performing a spl show for the co. employees.
2. In my 3rd yr of engg I was the head of a society for literary activities in my engg coll. i was also the head of the annual festival of this college and was able to bring in a footfall of over 3500 students. I also brought in the largest sponsorship for the event ever.
3. In my 2nd yr of engg i started a state level engg festival for by branch of engg. It was particularly difficult because i had to lead a team that was older than i was! albeit a successful event.
4. I was part of the team that won 1st prize at the state level quality circle competition while in my 2nd yr of engg.
5. sports: I have learnt horse ridding, been a captain for my school forball team, won some medals in athletics in my school time as well as represented my school at several interschool events.

Leadership opportunities:
1. Was the head boy of my school
2. The head of the technical festival in 2nd yr of engg and the head of the literary festival in 3rd yr of engg.
3. head of the 2 projects ( though a small team, req co-ordination from top mgmt to lowest rung).

so this is in brief waht i am. now how does it fit in?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
If you are an india - add 20 points to the school average. So unless your profile is a standout, 710 for US schools as male indian is a stretch.

best wishes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1323 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
how good is a 710? [#permalink]
It depends. All things being equal, a 710 is a good score that many would like to have. For schools such as those in the T10, however, depending on your background/profile, you may want to apply with something higher. I recently had a student for instance who reached out after getting a 700. But if a 700 was good enough for where you want to go, perhaps a local university, why bother? The answers may differ according to one's situation. Perhaps making your profile just "good enough" for admission isn't enough. Perhaps you are looking to increase your chances for potential scholarship $$$ as well by making your application as shiny as possible. The student in question took a bit of Verbal tutoring and ended up going from a V41 to V45 (760) in about 10 days. Probably fair to say, there is little more a GMAT score can do to help an application anymore at that point. Your time may now be better spent working on your essays, for example.

That being said, a high GMAT score doesn't guarantee admission and a lower GMAT score than the school average doesn't rule you out either.

What are the GMAT scores of top MBA Schools?
GMAT Club Bot
how good is a 710? [#permalink]