Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:55 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Harvard/Stanford/Columbia age [#permalink]
gmatt11 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Hi GMatt! I'm an older applicant as well. I will be 32 at matriculation. However, that's not going to stop me from applying to programs that I think suit me. Are schools going younger? Yes. But that's also a function of more younger people throwing their hat in the ring to apply. You can't control your age, but you can control your application. If you give schools a reason to take you then you've got just as good a shot as any. I don't think anyone can really evaluate your chances based on your profile alone. If you can show a clear career vision, explain why an MBA and why NOW, and show your unique candidacy then your age is simply a data point, not a determinant. If you look at the age ranges for schools you do see it extend into the mid-late 30s. While these people may not be majority, they found a way to not let their ages be an obstacle. If you can reach out to them to see how they navigated this process and what they think got them the YES that could help you out too.

Thanks you make some good points. I'll try to reach out to students who entered schools in their 30's. As the websites of the institutions offer very little data. The one's I have seen seem to be from a military background on the HBS website. Stanford doesn't seem to show any data and hear they are the most restrictive. But saying that you're right if you feel you have a shot why not take it. It's better then wondering what if. I'll have to make sure I get a good GMAT first as can't give them any excuses to reject me. How long did you study for the GMAT

I took the exam on May 21, 2011 after studying for about 3.5 months. I'd actually started studying in August 2010, but I really didn't have all the right materials at the time and my methods were kind of haphazard. I put the GMAT on the backburner when I got a promotion and transfer in October and didn't pick it up again in earnest until January. I enrolled in a Veritas Prep class from March-April and then studied on my own for another month before taking the test. The best study aids I used were the Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides. Hands down the best books when it comes to teaching content.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
wait so you have a 2.1 gpa? if so...
i would advise about looking at other schools, not trying to be a downer but 2.1 is an auto ding at most schools even out of the top 15
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
wait so you have a 2.1 gpa? if so...
i would advise about looking at other schools, not trying to be a downer but 2.1 is an auto ding at most schools even out of the top 15

I should have explained. This is not a GPA, I'm in the UK so it's an upper second.
Current Student
Send PM
ok good, most people here still wont know what that means and for US schools it will most likely need to be converted to a GPA, do you have that or perhaps an estimate? if so edit your first post and I''' bet you get some better replies
thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
ok good, most people here still wont know what that means and for US schools it will most likely need to be converted to a GPA, do you have that or perhaps an estimate? if so edit your first post and I''' bet you get some better replies
thanks

I've done a search online and american institutions say there is no exact equivalent as different institutions compare it differently but it can range from a 3.3-3.8
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the conversion. Most schools' adcom will be familiar enough with the grading conventions in the UK to understand what an upper second is.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about the conversion. Most schools' adcom will be familiar enough with the grading conventions in the UK to understand what an upper second is.

They have taken students from allover the world so am sure they understand what the different grades mean.

I'm more concerned about the age issue and if my profile fits for a top school
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
When I first started looking into bschool WAY back in 2002 I was told I was too young. So I went out and worked and somewhere along the way some schools started to favor younger candidates. Just this week, I saw an article about HBS getting older.

All this says to me is that the "age factor" is a fad. Go back to school when you're ready. I don't think I could have contributed to a class at 25. I've got a few more years of experience now at 32 and I feel like I'm finally in a place that would allow for the growth that business school will bring.

Let's teach these youngins how it's done! :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Energy
Schools:Wharton R2 (ding),HBS R2(matric), Kellogg R2(admit), NYU R2 (withdrawn), Haas R2 (withdrawn), LBS R2(admit)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I was accepted to the HBS class of 2013, and will turn 30 one month into the program. All of the information I read, and the comments I received from people on here, suggested I was too old. Don't let your age stop you from applying - it may not be a help to you at H/S/W, but it isn't a deal breaker at all.

With that said, Dee Leopold recently released an overview of the HBS class of 2013 split by undergrad / previous program graduation year. From the graph you get a good idea of the age / graduation year of the majority of students: https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html. The odds may be lower for older applicants, but it is by no means impossible.
Current Student
Send PM
i mean really whats the harm in applying, 100% give it a shot, the hell with what anyone says! best of luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I will be 31( if I get admits this year) when I join my dream courses

I might try one more time if unsuccessful....I agree with an ealrier post....age can be worked out if you really have a case...personally....I was such a waste till 25....

so buck up all oldies...:-)
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
One of my former commanding officers was accepted to Kellogg and he turns 36 in a few months. So nothing is impossible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Dont let age hinder you in moving forward with your applications. I will be 32 at matriculation. One of the admissions consultant said something that really resonated with me. He said that hbs is intentionally skewing young as it seems to be their strategy to distinguish themselves from other top schools. In other words they are looking for early achievers. He said that stanford is not so much intentionally skewint young as. It just happens to be a product of self selection and circumstanced.

Given that info' I crossed hbs off my list and am keeping stanford for r2.

Another example. My mom got her mba at age 45 at a top 25 program. So age was not a ding factor.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Apologies for typos. F-ing phone keyboard.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I'm 30, non-military, and I'll be starting at HBS this fall. Your age doesn't completely disqualify you and actually HBS skewed just a bit older this past year (average age is now 27). While your odds of getting into any of these top schools tends to be fairly low, age won't be what keeps you out or gets you in. You just need to have a great story to back up why this is the right time in your life/career for an MBA from those schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to put an application in, have to make sure I get a good score on the GMAT first.

From the replies it sounds like the odds get slimmer but it is possible and the main schools it's an issue for are HBS and stanford. Stanford has a small class and from what I have read seem more picky.

Those applying, good luck in your applications.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2