Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 19:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg, HBS, Booth, Stern, GSB
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Does wrkng for a big company name boost your b-schl app? [#permalink]
Thanks a lot for your replies Jordanhendrix and HBSGrad. I just want to reiterate what I have understood from your posts. Please do let me know if I am wrong.

1.Whatever the career decision is, its important that it fits in with your vision of a post MBA career, i.e., put in another way, it should make a good, convincing story of why a MBA and what after that.

2. Also monetary compensation is not the only thing which should drive you to change jobs.

3. And the more prestigious the company, the more chances of a candidate getting into a better Bschool.

I would like to stick with the present company, just because I am getting more responsibilities and duties which will be helpful in forming a convincing story.

I have 2 questions for you guys. How can one prep one's resume in the social work section? How and where can I contribute to the society which will be good enough to add onto my resume and help me get the AdCom to notice?

The second question is, I am an Engineer but would like to change my career to the Inv. Banking side after my MBA. I love to handle investments. Its a passion for me to outsmart the market...keeps me on my toes throughout. It will be a challenging job which I would like to become really good at. (I am trying it out first with my personal investments). How will I address this career change in my application? (I know I am jumping the gun here, but this thing is bothering me a lot.)

Thanks in advance.

I apologize for the late reply. I had to work overtime in my office last week to get some important things done. :(

Regards,
GT
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I think that the other two posts are right, you should not make your career decisions based on a b-school application. In the long run you will strengthen your apps far more by doing what is right for you at a given time. Pretty much all MBA interviewers will ask you to walk through your resume at some point during the interview, what's really important us that you are able to tell a coherent story and that you have good reasons for the decisions you took. If you choose the better compensation package because you have a young family to look after for example, then that makes perfect sense and shows personal sacrifice.

To answer your questions:

1 Get involved with something that you're passionate abou, where you can be a leader, and where you don't get paid. Perfect thing might be coaching under privlaged kids in a sport you love. I've also heard some great stories about people giving up their weekends to give wlking tours of historical monuments that they feel are important. Stuff like that goes down well, all I would say is don't do something that your not passionate about just to put it on your resume, that'llcome through in yourinterview.

2 - I think that's switch to IB is a good career goal, just be sure that you know what you are talking about and that your goals are realistic.right now it sounds like you want to be a trader, if not then the idea that you'll somehow be outsmarting the Market sounds a bit strange, just do as much research as you can into your intended career path before you write about it or step into an interview room.

Hope this helps.

RHB

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks RHB for the reply. Thats good advice and I intend to follow it.

As for what I want to become.....I think I am leaning towards becoming more like an investor and not a trader. An investor always thinks about the long term and sees the bigger trend unlike a trader. I want to make sure I sleep well at night!! :-D

But as you said, I will make sure I research this as much as possible before stepping into an interview.

Thanks for everything!

Regards,
GT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Just FYI, investment banking has very little to do with the actual act of investing. I-bankers are on the "sell-side", meaning they facilitate companies in selling themselves to an acqurier (an M&A transaction) or raise capital through debt or equity offerings. In either case, the investment bank is marketing (or selling) their client to investors, who may be a private equity firm/fortune 500 looking to acquire a business or a hedge fund/asset manager looking to buy stocks or bonds. In some instances, investment bankers will provide advice to an acqurier in purchasing a business, but the majority of what an investment bank does is on the sell-side. If you are actually interested in investing and "beating the market", you should consider a career on the buy-side working for a institutional investor. There is a big distinction between investment banking and investing so don't write in your essay that you want to be an i-banker b/c you like to invest.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info Bschool201284. I knew what I wanted to do but I was not sure what it's called. :lol:

I read somewhere here in Gmatclub that there is sell side and a buy side. And as you said what I really want to do is to be on the buy side. But I was not sure whether IB was on the sell or buy side. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I am much clearer now as far as what my career path should be.

Regards,
GT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Short answer: Yes. It's a plus, since every school wants to build their "relationship" with big companies. But it's not a huge deal, and nothing you should really worry about if you work for a smaller firm.
GMAT Club Bot