Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 04:06 It is currently 04 May 2024, 04:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
correct me guys.. I think for IT/Operations the list would be MIT, cmu and Purdue in that order. I chose Purdue because of this reason and per WSJ rankings.

I had also taken advise from veteans in the IT business (real big name CEO's who I had networked with in my life) and it was their suggestion too - which tallied bingo with WSJ ratings. I started to believe WSJ only after this match.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
venksune wrote:
correct me guys.. I think for IT/Operations the list would be MIT, cmu and Purdue in that order. I chose Purdue because of this reason and per WSJ rankings.

I had also taken advise from veteans in the IT business (real big name CEO's who I had networked with in my life) and it was their suggestion too - which tallied bingo with WSJ ratings. I started to believe WSJ only after this match.

For operations I agree that Purdue should be on the list, and probably Michigan State too. However I want to caution you against relying heavily on any one ranking system. They are surveys, not objective rankings. You have to understand what they are measuring and the bias inherent in each one. For example, the WSJ ranking surveys recruiters. Certainly it is valuable to know the recruiters perspective. However, realize that recruiters value talent at low cost. You want to be well paid. There is a conflict in what you the MBA and the recruiter wants. In addition, recruiters will also rank schools on the recruiter experience -- how well treated they are by the career center. I certainly don't discount that information entirely, but it does not reflect on the educational quality of the school or the school's appropriateness for you and your goals. So use the rankings but don't treat any or all of them as objective or infallible guides.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
decided [#permalink]
Thanx Linda/venksune/Hjort for your inputs...

guess i have narrowed down my list to the schools i will be applying to...

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)
Carnegie Mellon University
University of Texas--Austin (McCombs)
University of Maryland--College Park (Smith)

Reserves:

University of California--Berkeley (Haas)
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor (Ross)
University of California--Los Angeles (Anderson)

offcourse it will very much depend on the GMAT score...am taking it on 19th...another 13 days...phew!

cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda/Hjort,

Finally thru with my GMAT yesterday...phew!....760 (Q50/V44)...

For the last couple of weeks, i was trying to re-assess the reasons for my going back to school for an MBA...I am in IT field and i like it here and want to continue in the same field....and that made me think "why not go for a 1 yr course instead of a 2 yr?" (you probably think that i am a confused lot...but that's what i am right now :roll: )

pros:
1) smaller hole in my pocket, (and that's a big incentive for me)
2) smaller absence from the job market
3) i just need to streamline my career with respect to what i have learnt till now..i am not looking for a field change

So...what do you guys say?...and more importantly, what are the good options for 1 yr IT programs...any ideas?

My slightly modified profile :)
GMAT - 760 (Q50/44V)
Work ex - will be 6.0 yrs in IT field by the time i apply
International student
Undergrad - From a top 10 college in my country
GPA - Not good, not bad...average
Extra curriculars - good...active in sports, leadership,
Community service - not much

Thanx as always

cheers!
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
luminos24 wrote:
Hi Linda/Hjort,

Finally thru with my GMAT yesterday...phew!....760 (Q50/V44)...

For the last couple of weeks, i was trying to re-assess the reasons for my going back to school for an MBA...I am in IT field and i like it here and want to continue in the same field....and that made me think "why not go for a 1 yr course instead of a 2 yr?" (you probably think that i am a confused lot...but that's what i am right now :roll: )

pros:
1) smaller hole in my pocket, (and that's a big incentive for me)
2) smaller absence from the job market
3) i just need to streamline my career with respect to what i have learnt till now..i am not looking for a field change

So...what do you guys say?...and more importantly, what are the good options for 1 yr IT programs...any ideas?

My slightly modified profile :)
GMAT - 760 (Q50/44V)
Work ex - will be 6.0 yrs in IT field by the time i apply
International student
Undergrad - From a top 10 college in my country
GPA - Not good, not bad...average
Extra curriculars - good...active in sports, leadership,
Community service - not much

Thanx as always

cheers!

In the US check out Cornell's TMO option and Columbia's January admission program.

Outside the US, you have more options. As you mentioned in your initial post, INsead is a possibility as is LBS (15-month program), IMD, and HEC. Check them out.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]