Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:31 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-15-2012
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: a 720 and relieved :) [#permalink]
Congratulations Sanjeev !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Awesome! thanks for ur valuable suggestions, I have to agree MGMAT SC guide is a "must have" and you definitely get a better understanding once u've gone through this guide...but the other sections in verbal are killing me, CR and RC - I make a lot of mistakes and need a strategy to improve my accuracy, hopefully practicing a lot shd do.

Any strategies for time mgt that helped you? I feel I take extra time with the verbal section, especially RCs. Also since quants on MGMAT tests are tougher, I tend to spend much more time on each problem which ruined my score on my last test (I couldn't complete the test, did not attempt 9 questions :( :( ...is there anything I should do to improve my time mgt?

My exam is 3 weeks away, your help is greatly appreciated! :) wish me luck for my d day!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
First of All Best of Luck for the D-day :) ....
Please note that these are just my personal opinions. just choose the ones you like and filter the rest

coming to the easy bit: Quant : If you are having only 3 weeks left for exam, take other tests to see if you are still short of time in these tests. If no, i would not take Mgmat quant tests any more. I repeat, the Mgmat quants does not seem accurate representation of GMAT test questions.
If you are still short of time, then you may try the following:
1. divide the time into three sets : Q1-Q12 : 25 min Q12-Q25: 50min Q25-Q37: 75min It will help you track the time.
2. go back to the tests to see which section is toughest for you and which section is least time consuming.
e.g.: mixture problem, or std deviation problem... so I would see it as : I get stuck when I see 2 mixtures getting mixed or i do not know what effect range or average will make on std deviation..
unless you know the exact type of questions that you get stuck in it is difficult to improve.

If you are taking Mgmat tests, see the report card: in which sub-section are you making most of the mistakes. that will be a good starting point.

3. Once the tough sections have been identified. go back to read the concept and solve similar problems
4. Finally, search for questions in gmatclub.com for these sections and solve them

CR: as stated in my post, see if you are able to accurately point out the conclusion, and premise of the passage. just take 25 Q of OG and mentally note the conclusion and premise then compare them with OG answers. read princeton CR once .. I some how have liking for princeton CR.
If you are not satisfied look at various online discussions. PRACTICING.. and KNOWING why an answer is wrong or right both are EQUALLY IMP.
3 WEEKS & 10 questions daily implies min 150 questions : ENOUGH to gain confidence

RC: It will consume time
some discipline to follow : 2-3min to read the passage including noting the passage framework.
Go back to the passage to confirm answers: this atleast reduced my wrong answers in RC
again a cliche: know why author is writing this topic.
Finally a quicky.... only if you are time starved in RC... read the 1st question and then start reading the passage. if you get the answer in mid of passage answer it... BUT note that if this Q is to find the purpose/aim of author it may be difficult to answer that question before reading a good chunk of the passage.

Take the Gmat prep tests if you have not taken it yet...
Hope this will help ....
cheers,
sanjeev
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey san03, i followed your advice and took a gmat prep test today, i didn't score too well 600 (Q44, V28), but realised i still have some timing issues. The good news is, i still managed to randomly guess the last 3 questions, and complete the section on time, (it's good because i didn't lose too much time as compared to the MGMAT test).

I've analysed my weak areas, need to review each question and will start working on them soon.

I think i'm also going to try timing the problems when i practice, say 1.5 minutes per problem, 30 minutes for 20 questions, if i can't solve it, i'll take a guess and move on to the next.

As for the RC and CR questions, i felt these were relatively easier in GMAT prep, i don't know if any of you have felt the same way, but my scores in each section were way better in the GMAT prep test.

My strategy for now is to complete the OG, i've not even completed half of it yet! and practice problems concept wise for quants, hopefully i'll get through the GMAT, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all your help! :)
Manager
Manager
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
Congratulations Sanjeev
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
I totally agree with your take on MGMAT Math -- the questions are way more difficult than the real GMAT questions. I also think the MGMAT CR questions are not as crystal clear as the GMATPrep questions -- they are not as crisp as the real deal.

MGMAT is solid practice though -- but if you are running short of time -- work on OG and GMATPrep instead.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Well done:-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
san03 wrote:
[*]have a juice, water, or any drink that you like and that refreshes you.
[*] a banana or some fruits.. [/list]

Good work Sanjeev-bhai,

I'm glad you aren't recommending other exotic drinks (like this top scorer talks about) that seem to be popular among some GMAT test takers. Natural options are the best.

san03 wrote:
prep time: 2 months; last month was real crazy and i am glad it paid

After 2 months for GMAT prep, you've got much less than that to work on the rest of the apps if you are targetting Round 1 deadlines. So time to roll up your sleeves and keep the momentum going.

Good luck, bhratashri.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Good De-brief!!! Congratulations on your score.

Good luck with the apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thats a good score , all the best for the apps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks all !!
I am indeed neck deep in essays prep
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
I like the advice you used from Ron for SC. I need to do this more I think.

Congrats on the score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Good Debrief!! Congrats for your great score:)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts