Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Thanks. Yea I was struggling to find direct flights so I thought I would ask. But a 5 hour drive is a bit much.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
Thanks. Yea I was struggling to find direct flights so I thought I would ask. But a 5 hour drive is a bit much.

It depends on the time you drive down. My sister is in UG at NC State (free place to stay for my Duke visit!) in Raleigh so I have made the drive from DC plenty of times. I've made it there in about 4 hours in the early AM, but it took me 6+ on a friday afternoon/evening.

You can try Charlotte, NC for a 2.5 hour drive.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
Hey guys. I am actually planning my trip to Durham for my interview and I was wondering what the best way to get to Durham from Dulles was. I am debating renting a car and driving or flying. Any advice would be helpful.

Most people that I talk with that are coming from DC drive. I think that to Durham you would actually want Reagan instead because most of the regional flights go out of there. Is there some reason you were specifically looking at Dulles (coming from elsewhere perhaps)? From Dulles, I think you'll have a hard time making the trip in less than 5 hours - you'll undoubtedly run into traffic somewhere along the way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
Most people that I talk with that are coming from DC drive. I think that to Durham you would actually want Reagan instead because most of the regional flights go out of there. Is there some reason you were specifically looking at Dulles (coming from elsewhere perhaps)? From Dulles, I think you'll have a hard time making the trip in less than 5 hours - you'll undoubtedly run into traffic somewhere along the way.

I am actually on a project in VA for work and we stay in Dulles. I live in Cali, so I am unfamiliar with the location. I think I found flights out of DCA to RDU that is direct. Probably end up going that route and save the 5 hours in a car.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hey Guys - I'm trying to decide between open interview vs. waiting for an invitation.

I feel like it would be really hard for me to take a week or so for interview preparation before the 14th of Oct since I'm also applying in R1 to Ross and Booth with deadlines on 10th and 12th Oct.

I understand that it is strongly encouraged to visit campus before applying and I fully endorse that idea. In fact I plan to visit campus before submitting my R1 app on Nov 1. Just that I don't feel so strongly about interviewing before Oct 14.

So basically my plan is to -
Visit Campus in Oct -> Submit Application in Nov -> Wait for Interview Invite.

Will it show lack of commitment to not do an open interview and in turn hurt my chances? Does anyone have any numbers on how many admits go through open vs. invitation interviews?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pkatmi wrote:
Hey Guys - I'm trying to decide between open interview vs. waiting for an invitation.

I feel like it would be really hard for me to take a week or so for interview preparation before the 14th of Oct since I'm also applying in R1 to Ross and Booth with deadlines on 10th and 12th Oct.

I understand that it is strongly encouraged to visit campus before applying and I fully endorse that idea. In fact I plan to visit campus before submitting my R1 app on Nov 1. Just that I don't feel so strongly about interviewing before Oct 14.

Will it show lack of commitment to not do an open interview and in turn hurt my chances? Does anyone have any numbers on how many admits go through open vs. invitation interviews?

From my understanding, while they like candidates that participate in the open interview, they do not expect everyone to make it during that time. Especially since it is only about a month. I think if you go to an information session and plan a campus visit it shows the same commitment. You might want to get some other thoughts though in case anyone has special insight.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
From my understanding, while they like candidates that participate in the open interview, they do not expect everyone to make it during that time. Especially since it is only about a month. I think if you go to an information session and plan a campus visit it shows the same commitment. You might want to get some other thoughts though in case anyone has special insight.

Thanks. I agree. Though I'm thinking of dropping an email to admissions office or I might ask them during an info session.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
pkatmi wrote:

Definitely do the interview when you feel most comfortable, and do not rush it. By coming to campus, you've already showed the interest, plus it helps lower the application fee.

I think your proposed plan is definitely good. Also, try to reach out to professional clubs in the fields you are interested in to get an understanding of the recruiting and get a feel for the students. I would advise you to do it now verus in October. October is heavy interview season here for all the second years, and they probably won't have time to speak with you.

General advice, if you plan to reach out to students and are applying in later rounds, please be cognizant of student's time, and do it after mid-late November. Students are very welling to help provide insights, but they also have to juggle a lot of stuff during recruiting season.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asimov wrote:
Definitely do the interview when you feel most comfortable, and do not rush it. By coming to campus, you've already showed the interest, plus it helps lower the application fee.

I think your proposed plan is definitely good. Also, try to reach out to professional clubs in the fields you are interested in to get an understanding of the recruiting and get a feel for the students. I would advise you to do it now verus in October. October is heavy interview season here for all the second years, and they probably won't have time to speak with you.

General advice, if you plan to reach out to students and are applying in later rounds, please be cognizant of student's time, and do it after mid-late November. Students are very welling to help provide insights, but they also have to juggle a lot of stuff during recruiting season.

Thanks 'Asimov' for the guidance. I wasn't aware that October would be a recruitment heavy month. In that case I'll plan my visit in September. One of the other reasons I wanted to come in a bit late was coz I wanted to let the First year's settle in and get a good feel for how things work at Duke. That way they might also be better able to provide insights to prospectives like me :) Hey do you know when classes started at Duke for the semester? Thanks.
VP
VP
Send PM
pkatmi wrote:
Thanks 'Asimov' for the guidance. I wasn't aware that October would be a recruitment heavy month. In that case I'll plan my visit in September. One of the other reasons I wanted to come in a bit late was coz I wanted to let the First year's settle in and get a good feel for how things work at Duke. That way they might also be better able to provide insights to prospectives like me :) Hey do you know when classes started at Duke for the semester? Thanks.

You can check out the Duke academic schedule on the Fuqua website or search for it on Google. Class starts next Monday. If you want to get a sense of FY, you should come in Fall 2. Most of the FYs are still trying to figure things out in October. I don't think I got a good feel for my experience until post Spring 1, after all the recruiting craziness. Talking with a SY will be most valueable, since they've been through everything, therefore have a better perspective.
VP
VP
Send PM
For those interested in consulting: Fuqua just became a core school for BCG. There are only 5 core schools for BCG, including Fuqua.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asimov wrote:
For those interested in consulting: Fuqua just became a core school for BCG. There are only 5 core schools for BCG, including Fuqua.

Great info. BTW, is there a link which lists the other core schools for MBB and what really does being a core school mean.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Great :). Asimov, thanks a lot for updating us with this information.
VP
VP
Send PM
pkatmi wrote:
Great info. BTW, is there a link which lists the other core schools for MBB and what really does being a core school mean.
I don't think MBB publicize these information, since it would alienate other schools. I belive BCG's core schools are Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Booth, and Fuqua.

MBB will recruit at all the top-tier schools, but the core schools gets a lot more resources. For example, some partners will only do their rounds within the core schools. For recruiting, you may get highly level exposure, having partners coming on campus instead of principals or consultants. For quite a few of my classes, we had partners from MBB come in to do a case study of real clients (with identifying information scrubbed).

There may be additional interview/hire slots, not sure. But I'm sure, if times get tough and they need to cut recruiting, they will cut from the non-core first.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Asimov. Your inputs are much appreciated and very helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
I believe that McKinsey's list is M7+ Fuqua, Ross, Dartmouth, Berkeley. I'm judging this by looking at the recruiting invites I received from them. They listed about 11-12 schools. I think Darden was also on the list, but not 100%.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
hey guys.. does anyone know if there is a specific font style that AdCom prefer for the essays? Also I know that the essay guidelines mention that the font size should be no less than 10, but would this be recommended? Imo a font size of 10 is a bit of a strain on the eyes!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts