Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
rgupta83 wrote:

I listed all my schools. There has been debate on how to handle this. I do believe the field is optional so you can leave it blank. At the end of the day, my view is if they reject me because they think I will go to another school, then so be it. It gives me hope that I will get into the other schools :)

Exactly what i did. Nobody out here has applied to just one school and even the adcoms know that. If you leave it blank, they know for sure that you are holding back information. Also, i saw no harm in listing my schools. Although i communicated through my essays that Duke was my first choice, i am not naive enough to apply to only my top choice school in the first round.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
Randolph wrote:
Just Curious...

What did everyone do for the question re: other schools applied to (in the Program Information section of the application)?

I listed all my schools. There has been debate on how to handle this. I do believe the field is optional so you can leave it blank. At the end of the day, my view is if they reject me because they think I will go to another school, then so be it. It gives me hope that I will get into the other schools :)

I did this but took a slightly different approach. I listed the schools that fit what I said I was looking for in my "Why Duke?" essay.

Example: If I talked about wanting the non-city location and how that was a big factor in 'why duke' I didn't list that I was applying to Columbia or MIT or something along those lines. (This wasn't what I put in my essays, just an example)

I feel like they might look at that as me BSing them in the essays so I didn't really want to take that chance. Probably a paranoid thought, but I spared myself the worry.

I only really had to leave one school off the list so I'm not very worried about it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think I agree with both of you, and am always inclined to just provide whatever they ask. They absolutely are aware that 99% of applicants apply to more than one school.

However, if Candidate A selects H/S/W, and Candidate B selects UNC, Vanderbilt, Maryland...I think the reader of the application would have a different understanding of the applicant's "true" top choice. I am oversimplifying...but you get the picture.

Another issue - by selecting other programs you limit yourself in what you can identify as being the unique factors at Duke that is really attracting you (i.e. Why Duke?)

For example, if you say you want to go to Duke because it is somewhat isolated and not in an Urban Area...and then you tell them you are applying to Booth and CBS...what does that say?

Anyway...appreciate your feedback...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow...too weird...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Anybody encountered an error message while filling out the AWA score under GMAT information?

The system wouldn't let me enter the single digit figure and throws up a weird message on how it should be entered. It lets me mention the percentile comfortably though. Would really appreciate hearing from any of you out there on whether you faced this and how you tackled the same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
onechance wrote:
Anybody encountered an error message while filling out the AWA score under GMAT information?

The system wouldn't let me enter the single digit figure and throws up a weird message on how it should be entered. It lets me mention the percentile comfortably though. Would really appreciate hearing from any of you out there on whether you faced this and how you tackled the same.

They are probably looking for a digit with a decimal place.

My score is a single digit, but I have a .0 after it and it comes back with no error.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Weird, because I tried out yesterday what you just recommended and it didn't work. But it worked fine just now.

Anyway, thanks for your help nonetheless tfincham86.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Hey Fellow Fuqua applicants,

I am filing my application form online and they ask about your Calculus requirement. I never took calculus in college (though I had several other quant courses with good grades). I wrote how I intend to take it in the spring before I enroll, however, is this an automatic application killer. Im average in terms of Duke's GMAT/GPA numbers and dont come from a quantitative background so Im a little concerned.

Anyone else in the situation. Has anyone received any insight from Adcoms?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
This is just my personal opinion. But, I remember a person mentioning similar problem during my Duke visit. I think you can specify which course and where are you going to take that course and when. Also, mention the previous quant courses and your grades (if good) to give a better sense. I assume that you are mentioning in your optional essay. Do remember to give it a positive spin rather than being perceived that this is a glaring weakness in your profile.

Just a thought from a fellow applicant. Good luck!

nycbiker wrote:
Hey Fellow Fuqua applicants,

I am filing my application form online and they ask about your Calculus requirement. I never took calculus in college (though I had several other quant courses with good grades). I wrote how I intend to take it in the spring before I enroll, however, is this an automatic application killer. Im average in terms of Duke's GMAT/GPA numbers and dont come from a quantitative background so Im a little concerned.

Anyone else in the situation. Has anyone received any insight from Adcoms?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hello All,

I am filling up the online application for Duke-Fuqua and I am on the TOEFL score report page. Please can anyone tell me if for students from India whose undergraduate degree clearly mentions the "Medium of Instruction as English" there is a provision of TOEFL waive off or not?

Thanks,
Ash
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE:Account Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Pokerberry wrote:
Just a quick question for fellow applicants. Whats the exact deadline for Duke on Nov. 1. Is it Nov. 1 5 PM or 11.59 EST.

All the best to everyone.

11:59 pm EST, Nov1 I think. You'd better submit it at least hours before the deadline, in case any issue or tech/web failure. If you still have concern about it, you may just send an email to the admission office.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
There is a question in the Duke application asking for "Total number of months of management experience". Does this mean number of months you were a manager? had direct reports?

Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi all - from what I found online, the recommendation questions seem very specific. I didn't find any question about how long they have known the applicant or space for any other info they want to share. Just wondering if they will receive other questions not published online... any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: None
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I have a question with regard to Official GMAT Score Reporting.

I just ordered my GMAT score to be reported to Duke. I dont think the score will reach the Admissions Office before the Nov 1st deadline. The online application says the following:

"Your GMAT score is valid five years from the date of the test. If you have not previously had your scores released to Duke, please contact Pearson VUE to request your scores be sent to program code Q13-N5-32 for "The Fuqua School of Business MBA, Full Time" program prior to your application round's deadline"

Will it be a moajor problem if the score doesnt reach before the deadline as mentioned above?

Any insight would be highly appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ksk80 wrote:
Hi all - from what I found online, the recommendation questions seem very specific. I didn't find any question about how long they have known the applicant or space for any other info they want to share. Just wondering if they will receive other questions not published online... any thoughts?

According to my recommenders, they didn't receive questions other than the ones published. There are blanks in the online recommendation system asking for the context of the recommendation (how long they know you/relation/peers info).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thembaboy wrote:
I have a question with regard to Official GMAT Score Reporting.

I just ordered my GMAT score to be reported to Duke. I dont think the score will reach the Admissions Office before the Nov 1st deadline. The online application says the following:

"Your GMAT score is valid five years from the date of the test. If you have not previously had your scores released to Duke, please contact Pearson VUE to request your scores be sent to program code Q13-N5-32 for "The Fuqua School of Business MBA, Full Time" program prior to your application round's deadline"

Will it be a moajor problem if the score doesnt reach before the deadline as mentioned above?

Any insight would be highly appreciated!

Admission office will check your app package after the deadline. They will let you know if anything is missing and possibly allow several days for you to submit the missing part. Hope your score will have been reported by then.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 2.86
Send PM
Submitted. When do I pay the application fee? It says submitted, but I never entered my credit card info.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts